News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals

Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 5:27pm

Is it hard for anyone else to envision revivals of “current” works? I feel like anything written in the past decade or two doesn’t really lend themselves as classic enough to be revived anytime in the future and the iconic shows are ones you can’t see closing anytime soon. For example would a revival of Mean Girls ever happen and what would that revival even look like? I wonder if folks back in the 1940’s and 50’s felt the same thing about Carousel, Oklahoma and My Fair Lady.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Impossible2
#2Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 5:41pm

I saw The Great Comet 8 times during its run and I don't even live in America. If I could see it every night of my life I'd be a very happy man.

I have seen Carousel, My Fair Lady and Oklahoma once each and you'd have to nail gun me into a chair and staple my eyes open to ever get me to sit through any of them again.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#3Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 5:42pm

Of the "post 2000" musicals, I can see revivals of next to normal, In the Heightz, Urinetown and Drowsy Chaperone happening at some point in the future.

BwayLB
#4Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 5:59pm

Or Hairspray

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
robskynyc
#6Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 6:03pm

post 2000- spring awakening, color purple, the producers, finding neverland... theres a few.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#7Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 6:04pm

Impossible2 wrote: I have seen Carousel, My Fair Lady and Oklahoma once each and you'd have to nail gun me into a chair and staple my eyes open to ever get me to sit through any of them again.

I think I either feel really bad for you...or, I just don’t care.

Impossible2
#8Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 6:09pm

MichelleCraig said: "Impossible2 wrote: I have seen Carousel, My Fair Lady and Oklahoma once each and you'd have to nail gun me into a chair and staple my eyes open to ever get me to sit through any of them again.

I think I either feel really bad for you...or, I just don’t care.
"

Either works x

BroadwayMan5
#9Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:24pm

I don't think we would have thought in 2005 that a Color Purple revival would be acclaimed and popular in 2015. I think if there's a strong vision for a revival there's plenty of post-2000 musicals that could get that treatment at some point in the future.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#10Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:33pm

I could picture an Aida revival happening in the future.

Speaking of Disney, what do folks here think that chances of seeing Beauty and the Beast or Mary Poppins revived are? Both were quite successful for Disney Theatricals and a hit with audiences.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#11Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:49pm

TheGingerBreadMan said: "I could picture an Aida revival happening in the future.

Speaking of Disney, what do folks here think that chances of seeing Beauty and the Beast or Mary Poppins revived are? Both were quite successful for Disney Theatricals and a hit with audiences.
"

I agree about Aida.

Also, I would say chances aren't great for those revivals. They make so much money off of licensing that there's no real desire to bring it back, plus there are many movies they would rather give the musical treatment to that it would be boring to bring those back.

Also, who would've thought Spring Awakening could've been totally reinvented like it was? The only way Mary Poppins or BATB could be revived is if a regional production was doing a reimagined version and it came to Broadway, similarly to TCP and SA. However, would Disney want a reimagined version of one of their shows on Broadway? We all know what happened with Frozen, they went for a pretty literal translation from screen to stage.

Updated On: 4/30/18 at 11:49 PM

BwayLB
#12Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:55pm

Disney should do Brother Bear Tangled Descendants Moana and Mulan.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#13Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 12:29am

BwayLB said: "Disney should do Brother Bear Tangled Descendants Moana and Mulan."

Wow. That’s a long title. Not sure it would fit on the marquee. I’m guessing with all those characters, it would be like Disney’s version of Into The Woods.   

BwayLB
#14Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 1:30am

No I mean as seperate shows

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 2:51am

Do you have a religious exemption from using punctuation?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BwayLB
Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:43am

I feel like anything written in the past decade or two doesn’t really lend themselves as classic enough to be revived anytime in the future and the iconic shows are ones you can’t see closing anytime soon. For example would a revival of Mean Girls ever happen and what would that revival even look like?

I'm sure there are loads of shows that were considered very modern and topical in their day that went on to become classic and revived, whether reinvented or firmly remain in their original era.  How to Succeed, Bye Bye Birdie, Sweet Charity, Hair, West Side Story are just a few.  And we've had musicals set in other eras in the last 20 years that could easily become classics.  I could definitely see revivals of the following:

Urinetown
Thoroughly Modern Millie
The Drowsy Chaperone
Aida (hopefully with a more cohesive production)
Beauty and the Beast
Rent
Legally Blonde
Mamma Mia
Jersey Boys
Hairspray
Billy Elliot
In the Heights
Next to Normal
Rock of Ages
The Full Monty
Ragtime
The Little Mermaid
Once

The ones I think that would be harder to revive are those that were highly dependent on the cast or original production design/direction.  Shows like The Producers, Avenue Q, and Spamalot would be more difficult to revive without replicating the original productions.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

frapp2latte
#18Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:45pm

BwayLB said: "Disney should do Brother Bear Tangled Descendants Moana and MuIan"

I actually would want to watch a Mulan or Tangled musical. 

Also, I honestly really enjoyed Legally Blonde. They had catchy songs!  I wouldn't mind watching a revival in the future.

I haven't seen Aida but would want them to do a revival of it. 

BwayLB
#19Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 11:06pm

frapp2latte said: "BwayLB said: "Disney should do Brother Bear Tangled Descendants Moana and MuIan"

I actually would want to watch a Mulan or Tangled musical.

Also, I honestly really enjoyed Legally Blonde. They had catchy songs! I wouldn't mind watching a revival in the future.

I haven't seen Aida but would want them to do a revival of it.
"

I haven't seen Aida either but I want to sometime. Partially depends on who plays the two leads. I only seen Legally Blonde on MTV.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#20Revival of currently running musicals/modern musicals
Posted: 5/1/18 at 11:12pm

Producers reading this: get an amazing director and actors and give us Aida!

Videos