OuttaTowner
#1Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 8:32am

Sing Street

The Outsiders

National Lampoon’s Broadway Vacation

Empire Records

the Archie musical?

Anyone have any intel on any of these?  Are they still percolating out there somewhere or are they DOA?

thephantomlurker
#2Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 9:01am

Outsiders is coming in this spring

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#3Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 9:04am

The Archie musical lost its composer, Adam Schlesinger, to COVID. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 9:10am

Sing Street is dead.

National Lampoon's Broadway Vacation might be getting another workshop this Winter.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dom P
#5Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 9:41am

Sad about "Sing Street". Instead of putting that disastrous Scottish play with Daniel Craig, Barbara Broccoli and Co should have moved forward with Sing Street. 

IMHO, If there's a film crying out not to be made into a musical it's "National Lampoons Vacation". Sorry "Broadway Vacation " 

no

rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
#6Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 12:41pm

ACL2006 said: "Sing Street is dead. National Lampoon's Broadway Vacation might be getting another workshop this Winter."

I didn't know this about Sing Street. How heartbreaking for them. Their marquee was up at the Lyceum before the pandemic.

perfectpenguin
#7Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 12:57pm

The Mousetrap ?

OuttaTowner
#8Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 1:00pm

I’m also curious about High Noon, but no one (save perhaps Michael Arden) seems to know what’s happening with that. 

nasty_khakis
#9Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 1:05pm

Well, there's a difference in an announcement that says "Broadway Spring 2023!" and "Lyceum Theatre Fall 2024."

A TON of shows use "announcing" as a fundraising tool. To drum up excitement and to honestly look at reactions online to gage interest. If you announce "Movie You Might Like: the Musical" and 95% of tweets and online comments are bad, you may back down. If you announce "Movie Maybe: the Musical" and most response is positive it can help you raise funds based off of those metrics.

Only one of the below announced a theatre, I think. It costs producers almost nothing to "announce" Broadway or "looking for a theatre" and that can drum up interest. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 1:40pm

Sing Street had a run at Boston's Huntington theater, which we thought was really charming. I know someone on its crew, and during that run they still had hopes it would be heading back to NY.  

I'm not so sure how successful it would have been (small,intimate show)...but I would have purchased tix to see it again.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#11Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 2:25pm

Terrible about Sing Street. I saw the NYTW and Boston runs and was hoping for a future life again back in NYC…

the NYTW cast was incredible. Too bad they missed their Broadway debuts…

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#12Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 3:18pm

Glad people have raised the subject of High Noon and The Mousetrap. There was a lot of talk about each not so long ago. Are they still on the radar?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/4/23 at 3:22pm

Every now and then I am reminded of this showN—The Queen of Paris that was supposed to premiere in Chicago in 2015, and nothing came of it.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#14Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/6/23 at 6:28pm

wasn't there a stage version of Pink Floyd's The Wall  in the works ?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#15Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/6/23 at 8:26pm

That’s been “in the works” for thirty years. I think Roger lost interest and did the opera version instead. Given how problematic he has become lately, I’m guessing once he dies and is no longer a nuisance to his own legacy, maybe THEN we will see The Wall on Broadway.

barcelona20
#16Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/6/23 at 8:57pm

ACL2006 said: "Sing Street is dead.

National Lampoon's Broadway Vacation might be getting another workshop this Winter.
"

Hope Sing Street gets another chance, maybe in London.

chrishuyen
#17Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/7/23 at 1:17pm

I would LOVE to see The Wall in some sort of stage form, so hopefully it will happen at some point.

I know this was only rumor but is Damn Yankees with Bryan Cranston still kicking around?

kaykordeath
#18Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/7/23 at 2:48pm

nasty_khakis said: "
A TON of shows use "announcing" as a fundraising tool. To drum up excitement and to honestly look at reactions online to gage interest. If you announce "Movie You Might Like: the Musical" and 95% of tweets and online comments are bad, you may back down. If you announce "Movie Maybe: the Musical" and most response is positive it can help you raise funds based off of those metrics.
"

Which leads me to two:

Diner

Bull Durham

FAN3
#19Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 1:08pm

kaykordeath said: "nasty_khakis said: "
"

Which leads me to two:

Diner

Bull Durham
"

what about Our Town with Dustin Hoffman?  Is that still a possibility?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#20Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 1:56pm

National Lampoon’s Broadway Vacation

They are still working on it and after a few out of town tryouts and lots of recasting, they will have another production out of town before it heads to NY. It has come along way since the black box presentation before Covid. In the meantime, please check out my beautiful friend's other show coming to NY in the Fall, Dracula: Comedy of Terrors at New World Stages!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:05pm

FAN3 said: "kaykordeath said: "nasty_khakis said: "
"

Which leads me to two:

Diner

Bull Durham
"

what about Our Town with Dustin Hoffman? Is that still a possibility?

"

That went down with Scott Rudin, and thank god. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

OuttaTowner
#22Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:11pm

Pretty sure that Diner is DOA. 

Haven’t heard anything on Durham though. 

Dom P
#23Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:30pm

FAN3 said: "kaykordeath said: "nasty_khakis said: "
"

Which leads me to two:

Diner

Bull Durham
"

what about Our Town with Dustin Hoffman? Is that still a possibility?

I for one enjoyed the 2002 Westport Country Playhouse's transfer of this classic Thorton Wilder play. Directed by James Naughton.  Players including: Jane Atkinson,Jeffrey DeMunn, Mia Dillon, Paul Newman,Jake Robards and Stephen Spinella.

But I raise 2 points: 

The basic message of this piece MIGHT fall on deaf ears in this jaded self involved world of today.

One shudders at the thought of what he who shall remain nameless as Producer would have turned this classic work into 

Dom P
#24Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:59pm

OuttaTowner said: "Pretty sure that Diner is DOA.

Haven’t heard anything on Durham though.
"

Didn't Diner have two regional run ,one at Delaware Theater Co. I think if this was going to happen it would have.

Barry Levinson 's film is a unappreciated classic. 

OuttaTowner
#25Whatever became of?..,
Posted: 8/9/23 at 3:07pm

I know of at least one run - and the notices were not kind. I think it was shelved after that. 

Videos