pixeltracker

Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash

Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash

JasonC3
#1Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 5:55am

Might be a good time to get a message from your favorite actor or as I did, learn that Cheyenne Jackson has really gotten ripped (follow the link in the article to the Instagram message cited.

New York Times article gift link

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#2Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 6:41am

I don't know why, but that just seems a bit sleazy and desperate.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 6:54am

Impeach2017 said: "I don't know why, but that just seems a bit sleazy and desperate."

It's income, easy to do, and I don't fault the actors for doing it. And this certainly isn't a new phenomenon.

It's the buyer that gives me pause. I don't know why anyone would want to buy a message from an actor who isn't, like, Tom Hanks-level famous. It feels like the most heartless and corporate form of fan engagement....but I don't understand why anyone would pay for OnlyFans or sex work either, so what do I know?

JasonC3
#4Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 7:47am

I can see why someone might want to buy a message from an actor, regardless of their level of fame, that holds personal meaning to the purchaser or to whomever they might gift it.  Seems more memorable to me than getting an autograph and as a gift, is definitely unique.

Dom P
#5Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 9:40am

Impeach2017 said: "I don't know why, but that just seems a bit sleazy and desperate."

No more sleazier or desperate than the studios ,execs etc who have basically declined to participate in any meaningful negotiations with either SAG/AFTRA or WGA, and especially one who called the unions demands "unrealistic " while he draws excessive compensation, bonuses simply by placating share holders concerns. And at least the actors are earning that money.

djjd007
#6Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 3:33pm

Due to a storm, my mom who’s a big Pee Wee fan didn’t get to see his Bway show. A few years ago, I had Paul Reubens do one for her and it was so special. One of her favorite gifts ever. So, I’m a fan of the service!

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#7Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 6:26pm

OK I stand corrected, if Pee Wee said it's alright, then it must be alright.  I love him.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#8Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 7:02pm

Our students did Bat Boy in the spring and the university paid for Kerry Butler to do a Cameo for their opening night. :)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 7:42pm

I’ve bought some for people as gifts and they all love them. 
 

Remember a few years ago when people here lost their minds that theater actors were doing Cameos and keeping the money instead of donating it all to Broadway Cares?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#10Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 7:46pm

No different, and perhaps less manipulative, than doing meet and greet tables at a con. And likely cheaper.

Dom P
#11Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/6/23 at 8:22pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Our students did Bat Boy in the spring and the university paid for Kerry Butler to do a Cameo for their opening night. :)"

Very cool. "Bat Boy" is a great show.

chrishuyen
#12Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/7/23 at 1:20pm

I'm not really sure why people see an issue with this (I remember Matt Doyle got some side eye for doing Cameo during the pandemic), but as someone who has bought and also received Cameos, it's a really great way to personalize a message to someone and it's also fun to see what kinds of things they do (I think Anneliese van der Pol just burst out singing in a message she did without being requested to, which was a pleasant surprise).

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#13Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/7/23 at 2:39pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "....but I don't understand why anyone would pay for OnlyFans or sex work either, so what do I know?"

Perhaps not much.

This is a rather remarkable take...basically calling people who buy Cameos johns and getting in a nice dig at sex workers, too. The focus of so many of your posts are on the 'business' side and you continually remind us that we live in capitalism and that's the way it works and deal with it. But the people at the bottom of the pyramid who figure out how to exist in our capitalist hellscape by commoditizing the one thing that is solely their own (their bodies) comes in for a kick in the shins? I feel confident in saying that no one in real life would say this about you, but there's a distinct whiff of the Republican about a lot of your posts. And this one is just the cherry on top. 

 

kaykordeath
#14Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/7/23 at 2:50pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It's the buyer that gives me pause.I don't know why anyone would want tobuya message from an actor who isn't, like, Tom Hanks-level famous. "

 

If you know someone who is a big fan of someone on a less-than-Tom-Hanks level, they make fantastic presents.

A couple of years back, I had an Impractical Joker wish my daughter a happy birthday while she was away at college. Was a big hit.

 

nasty_khakis
#15Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/7/23 at 2:54pm

This is such a non issue. People are selling their TIME for a price and to me that's the same. $50 for Actor to say hello to my friend is the same as spending $50 to see that actor sing two songs at "54 Sings: Whatever!"

Updated On: 8/7/23 at 02:54 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#16Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/7/23 at 3:08pm

Besides, it’s not a great revelation to say you see links between stage door/autograph culture and sex work, when historically they were one and the same for centuries.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#17Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/9/23 at 11:05am

SonofRobbieJ said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "....but I don't understand why anyone would pay for OnlyFans or sex work either, so what do I know?"

Perhaps not much.

This is a rather remarkable take...basically calling people who buy Cameos johns and getting in a nice dig at sex workers, too. The focus of so many of your posts are on the 'business' side and you continually remind us that we live in capitalism and that's the way it works and deal with it. But the people at the bottom of the pyramid who figure out how to exist in our capitalist hellscape by commoditizing the one thing that is solely their own (their bodies) comes in for a kick in the shins? I feel confident in saying that no one in real life would say this about you, but there's a distinct whiff of the Republican about a lot of your posts. And this one is just the cherry on top.


Great comment. Yes, let's mock survival sex workers in this world just trying to eat. Absolutely despicable, elitist, and gross. 

 

JSquared2
#18Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/9/23 at 11:28am

Sutton Ross said: "SonofRobbieJ said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "....but I don't understand why anyone would pay for OnlyFans or sex work either, so what do I know?"

Perhaps not much.

This is a rather remarkable take...basically calling people who buy Cameos johns and getting in a nice dig at sex workers, too. The focus of so many of your posts are on the 'business' side and you continually remind us that we live in capitalism and that's the way it works and deal with it. But the people at the bottom of the pyramid who figure out how to exist in our capitalist hellscape by commoditizing the one thing that is solely their own (their bodies) comes in for a kick in the shins? I feel confident in saying that no one in real life would say this about you, but there's a distinct whiff of the Republican about a lot of your posts. And this one is just the cherry on top.


Great comment. Yes, let's mock survival sex workers in this world just trying to eat. Absolutely despicable, elitist, and gross.

 

Updated On: 8/9/23 at 11:28 AM

hearthemsing22
#19Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:34pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Impeach2017 said: "I don't know why, but that just seems a bit sleazy and desperate."

It's income, easy to do, and I don't fault the actors for doing it. And this certainly isn't a new phenomenon.

It's the buyer that gives me pause.I don't know why anyone would want tobuya message from an actor who isn't, like, Tom Hanks-level famous. It feels like the most heartless and corporate form of fan engagement....but I don't understand why anyone would pay for OnlyFans or sex work either, so what do I know?
"

I previously purchased a message because it was part of a Broadway Cares fundraiser. So that's not a bad reason to do this. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#20Striking Actors Are Turning to Cameo for Extra Cash
Posted: 8/9/23 at 8:54pm

Is it also sleazy for an actor to be paid to appear in a Super Bowl commercial? For a model to be paid to appear in a magazine? For an athlete to strike a deal with Nike? How do we define "sleazy"?

Curious where the line of sleaziness begins for any person making money off their own likeness/talent and why Cameo, of all things where the price point is generally SO LOW, that it of all things is considered sleazy - especially when an entire industry has been shut down for a month (longer if you include the WGA strike) and people have bills to pay. 


Videos