pixeltracker

Protesters at Suffs tonight - Page 3

Protesters at Suffs tonight

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/4/24 at 2:22pm

OhHiii said: "I in no way intended any antisemitic sentiment in sharing something that had been discussed in industry circles. That it was taken that way I feel horrible about and taking that as a lesson in intent vs impact. Thanks for calling that out."

Thank you, sincerely.


"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

rattleNwoolypenguin
#51Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 9:09am

People are forgetting sometimes there are conversations to be had, critiques to be made, and examinations of our history and how we tell it. 

These are all good things to do, and I'm sure Shaina herself wrestled with how to tell this story.

But protests like these are tremendously in bad faith and reductive.

SeanD2
#52Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 9:17am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "People are forgetting sometimes there are conversations to be had, critiques to be made, and examinations of our history and how we tell it.

These are all good things to do, and I'm sure Shaina herself wrestled with how to tell this story.

But protests like these are tremendously in bad faith and reductive.
"

The protest worked. We're talking about it. That's the purpose of protests

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#53Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 9:18am

What exactly is the claim that Suffs white-washes history? 

MezzoDiva47
#54Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 9:44am

SeanD2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "People are forgetting sometimes there are conversations to be had, critiques to be made, and examinations of our history and how we tell it.

These are all good things to do, and I'm sure Shaina herself wrestled with how to tell this story.

But protests like these are tremendously in bad faith and reductive.
"

The protest worked. We're talking about it. That's the purpose of protests
"


ah yes

the ‘negative attention is still attention’ argument

do you also believe that discussions on this board keep a struggling show open

or influence who wins a tony

also the general chatter on here regarding the protest has been derisive and dismissive

so ‘worked’ is a bit of a stretch

 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 11:05am

Some theatre fans are talking about it (but are overwhelmingly moving on). With no sustained campaign or clear organization, a muddy message that is undercut by the actual content of the show, and with their only stated remedy being the show’s closure (and to say nothing of the mind bogglingly bad optics of a group of white feminists trying to shut down a show featuring a diverse cast) they have very little to build on here. 


"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/5/24 at 11:05 AM

PipingHotPiccolo
#56Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 3:35pm

somewhere along the way, people started to take "any publicity is good publicity" out of the marketing realm and into the political message sphere, where it just isn't true. if you "protest" to "get people talking" but all the people that are talking are saying negative things about your "message" (or are unable to articulate your message at all), you've failed. 

extremists that dont learn this, stay extreme (ie they fail). activists that find a way to appeal to others, succeed.

In fact, Shaina Taub wrote a whole play all about just that, but i digress.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#57Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/5/24 at 9:10pm

That’s exactly it.

This is going to be lost to the wind. It didn’t provoke discussion. It didn’t give their side a voice.

It was and will forever be known as vitriol.

OhHiii
#58Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/7/24 at 8:57am

Kad said: "to say nothing of the mind bogglingly bad optics of a group of white feminists trying to shut down a show featuring a diverse cast)they have very little to build on here."

I like to call this Taylor Swift feminism. Hollow.

 


Videos