News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Woman in White Broadway Bound

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#0Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 10:32am

On the Really Useful website it says The Woman in White will come to Broadway in November 2005. Good news for ALW, as this is his first show since Sunset Boulevard to cross the pond!

What I am wondering is how critics will react to Michael Crawford's Count Fosco. Let's look facts in the face, the character is similiar to Count von Krolock (noble man, comic, Italian accent). While I think it works in The Woman in White, whereas it didn't in DOTV, I feel Crawford is a big target for critics, and I'm wondering if they will draw comparisons to DOTV! I think the critics were overly harsh when it came to reviewing DOTV, but I do agree the Krolock was a horrible character, and failed miserably. There were some good comic moments, but how is one supposed to take "Total Eclipse" and "Endless Appetite" seriously after all the tomfoolery we saw from Krolock before and after? However, I think Fosco is a wonderful character and Crawford does an excellent job, and more importantly, the character is appropriate to the story and does add a much needed element of comedy in an otherwise heart-wrenching tragedy.

I'm curious to know others thoughts. I know DOTV has probably be over-discussed on here, but I think this is a new discussion and it is a valid one!

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry
Updated On: 11/30/04 at 10:32 AM

broadwayguy2
#1re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 10:40am

who says that Crawford will come to Broadway? It says the SHOW will, but I don't see were that means Crawford will.....

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#2re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 10:47am

Come on. Do you really think they will transfer it without bringing Crawford over? I doubt it. His name is still a big draw, and given the right vehichle (which The Woman in White is), he could hit a home run, which I think he will. The show is fantastic, at least judging from the recording. It is definitely already in my top 5. I love it more and more with each listen. It has all the elements of a great show (good music, interesting characters, comedy, drama, a love triangle, and mystery). I just highly doubt they would not bring Crawford over.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry
Updated On: 11/30/04 at 10:47 AM

broadwayguy2
#3re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 10:54am

yeah. I DO think it'll come over without out Crawford.. contrary to what the Crawford Leg Humpers want to believe.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#4re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 11:02am

I'm curious as to why you think that. If he gets a Olivier nod that would certainly help his case to be part of the transfer. Even without it though, I honestly don't see why he wouldn't come over, unless he doesn't want to, or they (the producers) are nervous about what happened with DOTV.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#5re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 11:08am

The only person that is in talks to reprise their role is Maria Friedman, which is great because she has never been on Broadway and she needs a lot more recognition.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

broadwayguy2
#6re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 11:10am

There is no reason to bring him over... satisfying the Crawford fans isn't enough of a reason. And yes, the Vampires fiasco doesn't help him.

#7re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 11:13am

>how is one supposed to take "Total Eclipse" and "Endless Appetite" seriously after all the tomfoolery we saw from Krolock before and after?

How is one supposed to take "Total Eclipse" seriously at all? The audience I saw DOTV with started laughing during the first verse, and then during the second stopped as they realized, "Oh... this isn't *supposed* to be funny..."

Having seen both DOTV and WIW, I think critics will react okay to Crawford's Fosco. Michael Crawford does a good job in it, not great. He has his one moment in "You can get away with anything" which basically makes his role. Otherwise, it's a pretty small role and not that amazingly written. I could say the same for Krolock thought; it's not Crawford's fault that the role didn't work, it's the confused writing.

DOTV wasn't his fault, and I can see him redeeming himself with this. The critics won't rip him to shreds if they do any ripping; they'd rip the part itself. A piece from Brantley's WIW review:

"An unrecognizable Mr. Crawford, last seen on Broadway munching scenery in the dreadful 'Dance of the Vampires' two years ago, redeems himself with a more disciplined comic performance. Count Fosco is basically a music-hall foreigner, given to lines like 'As we Italians say, the plot, she thickens.' Mostly, Mr. Crawford doesn't overdo the salami factor, and he admirably keeps his cool as the count's pet rat scurries over his shoulders during a solo called 'You Can Get Away With Anything.'" Updated On: 11/30/04 at 11:13 AM

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#8re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:53pm

If you wanna have a sneak peak of Michael's performance, go to http://www.womaninwhitethemusical.com/frameset.htm and check out the 8 mins of the show and see how you think about the cast!
FELIX
My CHICAGO the musical group!!!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#9re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:56pm

My cast recording was supposed to be here Friday but I still don't have it. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

touchmeinthemorning
#10re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:07pm

Dare I say that these eight minutes makes this show look like a good show?

However...the music seems so obviously ALW that it makes me annoyed. But, I can deal.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:16pm

Actually, I have listened to the CD a couple of times and very little of it sounds like typical Lloyd Webber. It's a very different and unusual score for him. The lyrics tend to be rather simplistic and at times banal, but the music is quite interesting and the story is fascinating. I am very interested in seeing the show.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#12re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:20pm

I agree. The score is not typical and is quite beautiful and interesting. The lyrics, especially during "Perspective" are weak at times, but the story is something! I really like this show. The Finale rocks.

Mister Matt
#13re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:57pm

What is it with Michael Crawford and rodents? Is the rat in the original story or do you think it was added because of his experience with Charlie and Algernon?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#14re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 3:02pm

He is just a wannabe HUSSY!

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Mister Matt
#15re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 3:04pm

I KNEW IT !!

Thanks for clearing that up, Dame. I couldn't see the forest for the trees. That answer was so simple. re: Woman in White Broadway Bound

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#16re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 3:54pm

It's a great show and Crawford is very funny. As for the mouse, keep in mind the 1980's Richard Gere gerbil rumors and you won't be surprised as to what happens in that scene.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#17re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 4:27pm

I just love "The Holy and the Ivy" especially the confrontation between Marian and Laura. "You Can Get Away With Anything" is a great number, and the inclusion of a bonus track of the live performance is nice. I also love "If I Could Only Dream This World Away" and "Lost Souls", not to mention the "Finale". All in all, it's very enjoyable.

Mr. TN
#18re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:44pm

Inappropriate Broadwayguy2. Just your second comment. I happen to be a fan of his and you would not call me a "Crawford Leg Humper" in any sense. No offense Broadwaguy 2.

But to the discussion: I believe that most of the leads will end up reprising their roles on Broadway. Angela Christian surely should since she has appeared on Broadway before and did a decent job in Millie. Maria Friedman is not an equity actor and last time ALW tried to bring a London actress to Broadway it ended up in a problem (aka the Sarah Brightman problem). Besides if you don't bring Crawford, Crewes (who is wonderful by the way), and Christian over, why bother with her. There are Broadway stars who could do a much much much better job than she. She isn't all they hype her up to be.

The part of Count Fosco is about the same in size as the Wizard in Wicked. Joel Grey was brought in just as a star vehicle in a Cameo role. That is the came reason that ALW brought Crawford in, and remember his surprise announcement. We probably won't know if he is coming until later next year. The score is very unlike ALW because there are NO rock opera songs in it and very little "popish" style. In format, WIW is much like an opera albeit more modern in harmonic and melodic quality. Recurring motifs for what otherwise would be dialogue combined with short and sweet musical arias (yes many of the songs would be considered arias) and Rossini-like comic numbers (Seduction and "You can get.."). I'm finished now. Thank you for reading this rather long winded post.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:46pm

Damn the US postal Service. Damn them!!!

Mr. TN
#20re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:56pm

My CD came pretty fast for coming from England. However, it might be that Christmas shipping is in full force now so it will take a while to get there. Be patient spidey. Let us not jump all over the US postal service. Wait, nevermind they are usually slow anyway so jump all you want.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#21re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:58pm

hahaha. According to amazon.com/uk, it was supposed to be here Friday, but I am still waiting. I keep reading all these great reviews about it and I just start foaming at the mouth. I want to hear it SO BAD!!!

Mr. TN
#22re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:09pm

It won't be a disappointment. I like the recording because mostly it is live from the opening night (without the audience noises thank God). There is real performance emotion in the recording. The Palace is one of the only theatre's where a live recording can be made of studio quality without any extra equipment. It is set up itself with direct connections from the stage and orchestra to the recording studio below. Every theatre should have that. It would make the world a better place. My favorite songs are "Perspective," "I Believe My Heart," "Evermore without You," and "You Can Get Away with Anything." Some of the connecting lines are a bit strange melodically but it isn't stranger than Don Juan from Phantom which has some of the strangest progressions in music theatre. I hope your CD comes soon.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#23re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:12pm

Oh God, me too.

producersfan2
#24re: Woman in White Broadway Bound
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:16pm

Do you think Michael Crawford in a fat suit will make it here?

Videos