News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

nathan lane in producers

producersfan2
#0nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:00pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board as well. Do you think that since Nathan Lane has done The Producers so much, his performance in the film will suffer? I can't imagine it staying fresh at this point. He's probably tried every single approach and is really sick of the part.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#1re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:03pm

Hmm...I don't think so, necessarily. Film is such a different medium than theatre. From a performer's point of view, the approach to acting is more different, the comedy is different, etc., plus if he gets sick of exhausting every single approach, it's more likely to happen after having to do take after take after take after take after take of the same 10 seconds of the number. re: nathan lane in producers

Seriously though, if his performance suffers, I don't think it'll be from doing the role so much. If anything, exploring every avenue should help his performance because he'll know what works and what doesn't.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

pab Profile Photo
pab
#2re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:09pm

I don't think that his performance in the film will suffer at all. He is an actor and this is his job. I think that it only helps that he has done it the amount of times that he has. He will know every nuance of the character and know what choices to make for the film. I'm looking forward to the film especially since most actors in musical films don't usually have the background and the time to properly create the role and the film ends up suffering from that.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:09pm

Tiff, I'm scared of your avatar.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#4re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:16pm

Wow, that's the last time I use my self-portrait as my avatar. Geez.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

timote316
#5re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:22pm

lol

I'd think his vast experience would help him with the movie. If there is something that can be done with the role of Max Bialystock, Nathan can do it. I can't wait for the movie!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:29pm

I would say, since NAthan Lane is the same exact thing in every show and movie he's ever been in, he won't have trouble being himself once again in the upcoming movie.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#7re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:30pm

You may want to think of it another way. If he is able to keep it fresh onstage and get the raves he's getting in London (which he is) then I don't think you need to worry.

And film really is a very different approach, so it isn't just taping the stage performance. This and a new written screenplay should make it interesting for him and the others who are returning to roles in the movie.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

pab Profile Photo
pab
#8re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:34pm

I really don't expect to see many changes in the screenplay. Some yes, but if you take a look at the movie, you will see that there were very few changes form the original to what ended up on the stage.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

producersfan2
#9re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:37pm

what are you talking about? there were many many changes.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:38pm

Am I the only one that is not looking forward to this movie? I will never see the appeal to Nathan Lane - I just don't find him funny, or the show for that matter. But, I've said all this before.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#11re: nathan lane in producers
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:40pm

Nathan's a good actor. He'll be fine - they ALL will.

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

Videos