News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
#0BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:19pm

I just received a private message from one of the posters asking me who Broadway's greatest dancers were. I can really only post from my own experience dancing professionally and those who I saw later after I stopped dancing. I'm sure there are others who should be added to the list.

You'll notice on my list that I have not listed very many men. That is because the male dancers from my generation were not particularly well trained. Of course, this has changed over the years. Concerning the women, they were just as good then as they are today.

FEMALE DANCERS:

Adele Astaire
Betty Bruce
Nina Whitney
Eleanor Powell
Rabana Habsburgh
Joyce Thackeray
Deborah Schoenberg
Holly Howard
Daphe Vane
Georgia Hiden
Grace McDonald
Heidi Voessler
Vera Zorina
Tamara Geva
Vera Ellen
Bambi Linn
Joan McCracken
Annabelle Lyon
Lidya Franklin
Nelle Fischer
Sono Osato
Janet Reed
Allyn Ann McLerie
Kate Friedlich
Bobbi Bennington
Anita Alvarez
Janet Collins
Maria Karnilova
Gwen Verdon
Helen Gallagher
Chita Rivera

MALE DANCERS:

Fred Astaire
Paul Haakon
Duke McHale
Charles Laskey
James Mitchell
The Nicholas Brothers
Tommy Rall
William Weslow
Harold Lang

Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
Updated On: 5/1/05 at 12:19 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#1re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:20pm

This is a great thread!!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

riv
#2re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:23pm

What about Gene Kelly?

#3re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:28pm

Thank you, Miriam, for that.

The talent of those you identified, and so many other dancers, yourself included, are the backbone of the Broadway musical, past and present.

A Toast to the Dancers of Broadway!

Hat's off to Michael Kidd, too.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#4re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:29pm

Interestingly enough, I've really only heard of the last 4 women listed......

Was Maria Karnilova really that great of a dancer? All I think when I hear her name are the roles in Fidder and Zorba......Then, when I got the original Gypsy Recording, I saw she was Tessie and I thought that was interesting, but I guess she can dance!!!!!!

Also, Wasn't Anne Reinking supposed to be one of the best dancers ever on broadway?????? Updated On: 5/1/05 at 12:29 PM

starlight2
#5re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:36pm

Thank you onceadancer2, you have brought new life, excitement and knowledge to this board! Sounds like you were really "in the trenches". Thank you for sharing!

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#6re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:39pm

Tommy Tune
Gene Kelly
Bob Fosse
Karen Ziemba

to name a few

bobbysworld Profile Photo
bobbysworld
#7re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:42pm

Elizabeth Parkinson---she rocked my world in Movin' Out

maybethistime
#8re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:51pm

Ann Miller

apdarcey
#9re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:53pm

definitely parkinson should be there bobby. i would put ann reinking on the list too.

#10re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:54pm

Michael Bennett

The dancers of the origninal Public Theater and Broadway production of A CHORUS LINE.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#11re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:00pm

re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS

Michael Berresse

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:02pm

Maria Karnilova was a ballet star BEFORE she ever appreared on Broadway.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:02pm

I know a lot of people on this board have not seen him in action yet, but I believe Noah Racey should be on this list.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

apdarcey
#14re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:05pm

rath, i was thinking that, but thought maybe he's too young to be included on this list.

#15re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:08pm

Gregory Hines.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#16re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:11pm

At some point, Noah Racey will definitely be on that list. He's so great, but probably needs more exposure. re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS

What's he up to, anyway?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/1/05 at 01:11 PM

MargoChanning
#17re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:43pm

Miriam,

Thank you so much for the list. I've always heard that Adele Astaire was far more talented than her brother Fred, to the point that when she married and retired from show business, many thought that Fred would never be heard from again.

Do you agree that Adele was more talented than Fred?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

starlight2
#18re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:44pm

I soooo agree with Ann Miller! Also, who was the woman in White Christmas that was such an incredible dancer with DAnny Kaye?

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
#19re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 2:03pm

Thanks for the many replies.

I was of two minds regarding Gene Kelly. Overall, he was not a very good technician and his dancing, at least when I knew him, lacked polish. It was more rough and raw. I would say it lacked a certain balance and proportion. I know that there are those of you who don't agree with me, but I'm going to hold fast to my belief: a good dance hoofer, but really not more.

Margo, Adele Astaire, at least as I can remember her, was really the spitfire and the pulse of the team. She carried the comedy and she was the main object when the Astaires danced together. To put it bluntly, when she stepped on the stage, your eyes were pulled in her direction. Astaire, at least in his films, developed a personality and a dance persona all his own. While he was always a witty and personable dancer on stage, I believe he came into his own once he had to establish a rationale and belief in his own dancing that was not impacted by anyone else. And as he gained confidence, he became bolder and more charismatic. Perhaps that is why his other female partners were usually in his shadow. Being on his own forced him to become his one and only!

Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
Updated On: 5/1/05 at 02:03 PM

#20re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 2:06pm

Miriam - thank you, as always, for your perspective.

These threads are the reason it's worthwhile to sift through the chaff.

kikki327 Profile Photo
kikki327
#21re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 3:25pm

the greatest dancers on Broadway now are:
Elizabeth Parkinson
John Selya
Desmond Richardson
Ashley Tuttle
Nancy Lemenager
Benjamin G. Bowman
Ted Banfalvi
and the entire cast of Movin' Out

ashley0139
#22re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 4:40pm

My first thought was Michael Bennett, but someone already mentioned that so I have nothing more to add. It's very interesting though. re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#23re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 4:52pm

Rasta Thomas! What an amazing dancer...

I also second Ashley Tuttle, although she's more of a ballet dancer than a Broadway dancer, but she's currently on Broadway so I guess that counts?

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#24re: BROADWAY'S GREATEST DANCERS
Posted: 5/1/05 at 5:07pm

I'm not a dancer so can't talk as to technique, but of today's Broadway dancers Andy Pellick (currently in La Cage)just amazes me.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller

Videos