News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Where's Caroline?

bobbysworld Profile Photo
bobbysworld
#0Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 1:57am

Has anyone heard anything about when Caroline or Change will air on HBO (or if it will at all)?? I would love to see this show again, even if it's just on TV.

RentBoy86
#1re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:36am

Sorry, this is new to me, do you mean they just taped a performance or is it like a made for TV sort of thing?

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#2re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 10:47am

totally unknown to me...I googled and couldn't find anything...nothing on the HBO website either...I think I remember a while ago there was some confusion over this because HBO Films helped fund the move to Broadway...not to be confused with actually -taping- it....but someone must know more than me...

www.kickfornick.com

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#3re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 10:49am

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 5/9/06 at 10:49 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#4re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 11:02am

Hahaha, Matt. :)

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

RustyRocketteBoy Profile Photo
RustyRocketteBoy
#5re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 1:47pm

Caroline or Change was Filmed?! When?

Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- They usually do. You keep moving on. Anything you do, Let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see... ~Sunday In the Park with George

TonyInATL Profile Photo
TonyInATL
#6re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:06pm

"She told me they'd better do it was soon, before they make a movie of it and cast Beyonce in her role."

Hilarious! Anika, from performances and interviews I've seen and read, has always struck me as being very smart, charming and witty, so that sounds like something she'd say.

Matt, how do you know her? Or did you make this up, and I'm just incredibly gullible?

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#7re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:12pm

All shows, almost all shows, are filmed.

P.S. Ramona Keller was in Caroline - I didn't realize.

Updated On: 6/12/05 at 03:12 PM

MargoChanning
#8re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:18pm

They're not talking about a Lincoln Center filming (which is low quality and not available for mass distribution anyway). CAROLINE was apparently professionally filmed by HBO (which was one of the show's producers) for broadcast. However, the film is not on any list of pending projects for the network at the moment and is probably sealed up in their vaults collecting dust, perhaps forever. My guess is that when it failed to garner more than one Tony and had a short run, HBO lost interest in airing it or in going to the expense of distributing it as a DVD, so we may never see the film.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#9re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:20pm

It was filmed early into the Broadway run. HBO filmed both "Jekyll and Hyde" (the infamous Hasselhoff recording) and "Putting it Together", but didn't air them for two-three years. I'd say that we will probably be waiting for a while...

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#10re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:24pm

Except Hasselhoff financed the J&H recording....

And interesting enough, I just learned, the applause on the DVD isn't from his show.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#11re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:26pm

"And interesting enough, I just learned, the applause on the DVD isn't from his show."

Seriously? That's rather pathetic.

Plum
#12re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:50pm

Did they cut to stock footage of an audience applauding like the Oklahoma! DVD?

Anyway, I just don't get why HBO would wait years before airing this, or not air it at all. They can't spare 3 hours on one night for this? Even an odd time like 3am on a Tuesday? Surely its ratings wouldn't be any worse than some of the horrid movies they show. Are there expenses I'm not aware of or something?

MargoChanning
#13re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:59pm

There are royalties to be paid to the creative team and cast which I'm sure would be much more expensive than the licensing fee of your typical movie. But, I would think that some deal could be worked out making, say, one single airing financially viable (HBO, after all, doesn't have to worry about finding advertisers to sponsor the show). We'll see.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Plum
#14re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:13pm

It just seems like it becomes a worse and worse idea the longer they wait. The tour is over; from this point on the show will only be fading from people's memories.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#15re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:14pm

Hey guys after reading this thread I set up a petition online to ask the executives at HBO to release Caroline or Change on DVD please feel free to sign it!

http://www.petitiononline.com/CoCDVD/petition.html

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#16re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:38pm

CQTBOO is right here, thank you very much!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#17re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:44pm

Well, who aired Laugh Whore?

Was that showtime or HBO?

And Whoopi?

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#18re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:47pm

showtime aired laugh whore

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#19re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:48pm

thought so.

Well, I guess Whoopi and Mario are bigger stars...still...

I still think every show should be filmed. What, PBS can't do it?

Plum
#20re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 4:58pm

Seeing as they're probably losing even more federal funding, no, not really.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#21re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:47pm

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 5/9/06 at 08:47 PM

MargoChanning
#22re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:55pm

I disagree Matt. The Lincoln Center videos I've seen are FAR from broadcast quality. Most are not multi-camera shoots with the kind of angles, editing and additional lighting we're used to from, say Live from Lincoln Center or Great Performances. Such pro shoots cost $200,000 to $300,000 (and more) to produce -- comparable to the entire Billy Rose budget for videography for the year. If you've seen higher quality ones than that, then they were paid for by the show's producers' themselves and donated to the collection (which frequently happens -- in the case of CAROLINE, HBO did the filming).

Updated On: 6/12/05 at 08:55 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#23re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:57pm

Updated On: 5/9/06 at 08:57 PM

MargoChanning
#24re: Where's Caroline?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 9:04pm

I can only speak for the ones I saw from the 80s and early 90s I saw that were taped by the Billy Rose people themselves were mostly just OK to crappy. The only ones I saw that were so highly professional that they were ready to be aired on PBS or something were donated tapes from producers. One of my best friends worked for Billy Rose during the 80s and 90s and told me they were so underfunded that there were times he was part of a three person, one camera crew shooting shows because that was all they could afford then. He left around 1993, so perhaps it's improved vastly in recent years.

Videos