News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Must Not Be That Hard...

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#1Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 2:51am

So after watching this, I have unending faith that anyone and their mom can be on broadway Must Not Be That Hard...

This is a clip from Bway in Bryant Park in '05 and it's Christina Applegate's understudy from Sweet Charity.

I feel like I was watching a bad high school talent show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0ddfeCjsw

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)

#2re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 2:58am

Let's be honest... that role was definitely dancing based.
And yeah not the greatest

jake230306
#2re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:09am

That was amazing. re: Must Not Be That Hard...

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#3re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:25am

Who'd she F*CK

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 03:25 AM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#4re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 4:16am

I really had no problem with that performance for what it was.

Consider this - Dylis Croman was Christina Applegate's understudy. I'm not sure if she'd been on before. Additionally, this was an outdoor performance out of the context of the show. If you look at offerings from other shows in settings like these (Broadway on Broadway, Broadway in Bryant Park, etc.) you'll find that many are as dull as the aforementioned clip or duller and not in any way indicative of the energy given in an actual performance in the show.

Furthermore, if anyone and their mom can be on Broadway, you should go audition. I fully expect you'll get the lead and a Tony! Tell me how it goes.

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#5re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:02pm

looks like somebody touched a nerve

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:14pm

Dylis Croman is such an old lady name.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#7re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:14pm

Dylis Croman is such an old lady name.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#8re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:15pm

Not as much as Cronis Dyman would be.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#9re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:17pm

She was better than Applegate...

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:19pm

What about Dyan Crone?

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#11re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:31pm

That would be Phyllis Schlafly.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#12re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:34pm

I see nothing wrong with the performance. She has more charisma than Applegate did and Applegate never had to do all that outside with a microphone.
Broadway Blog: Redefining Success: How Long Does a Show Need to Be Running?

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#13re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 2:00pm

No matter the level of talent . . .or your opinion on it. Many of our Broadway people worked very hard for many years. Look, most of us love and respect and recognize Bernadette Peters as a talented, incredible performer. Yet, I have a friend who hates her! Thinks she's is often flat and her voice annoys her.

Another friend, a young one (only age 24 now) HATES "Rent" and HATE "Wicked" . . . she told me she 'couldn't wait for Angel to die' and that "Wicked" was 'slow and boring'! I mean, I COMPLETELY DISAGREE and am a total Renthead and Wicked Freak; but to each their own.

Oh, that same friend and I saw "Drowsy Chaperone" (I won the lottery, my first time trying it too) -- and we both felt we were better than most of them on stage [as far as women go]. And we saw the all-star cast, no absences!

So, it's about perserverence, and going for your dreams on your road.

It not "that hard" if you love it . . . if you want to do it. But, if you hate waiting around auditions, or doing "way off" [like community theatre in your home town] Broadway shows, sleeping on busses (on tours), taking classes and such -- then if would be very hard to get up there, in front of a live audience, and sing.

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

AKDPerformer
#14re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:10pm

She's not that bad, it's just that the performance reminds me of a bad hs talent show...

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)

AKDPerformer
#15re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:33pm

To zoran912, i'm not even going to begin to have an argument with someone online who doesn't even know me or what i'm capable of. There was no reason to add your snide little comment at the end of your message. No need to be snippy. I know how hard Broadway performers work and I give them all the credit and respect in the world for that.

I just get really disgusted sometimes.

Updated On: 10/19/07 at 03:33 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#16re: Must Not Be That Hard...
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:55pm

Unfortunately, this thread is not at all what I thought it would be about.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos