News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion

Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion

chickfila
#1Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 8:59pm

I just downloaded this from iTunes. Does everyone else have distortion (pops and skips) during Because the Night and Everything I Am?
Updated On: 11/11/08 at 08:59 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:24pm

You do realize it's a LIVE recording from 1980? You should be thankful it exists and is available to buy!

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#2re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:28pm

I think that's why he's asking, and not just assuming that it's a defective download.

Besides which, it's not a studio album, or even a live concert recording, from 1980. It's a soundboard capture. There's no telling what the "master" really sounds like..........

chickfila
#3re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:31pm

Really Totallyeffed?? It is a live recording?? I thought all the noise between the songs was a defect. Thank you so much for your kind reply. I most certainly will bow my head later on tonight and thank the good Lord that I have a roof over my head, a full belly and a rare Patti LuPone performance playing on my iPod while people in India go to bed cold, hungry and Lupone-less.

What a tool! Updated On: 11/11/08 at 09:31 PM

brightredday Profile Photo
brightredday
#4re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:33pm

Mine has all kinds of skips and jumps from "Downtown" (just one there) through "Everything I Am". I even got a replacement CD from Sh-K-Boom and it seems to have the same problems.

chickfila
#5re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:35pm

Thanks Bright - just wanted to make sure that the download wasn't the issue and that it is the source material.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#6re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:35pm

Sheesh, sorry.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#7re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:36pm

so, since there are these skips and all, is it even worth it to buy it?
like is the rest of it good? I mean its patti... so duh, but do the skips and stuff ruin it?

chickfila
#8re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:38pm

Still worth it, but the sound defects should be disclosed prior to purchase.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#9re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 10:02pm

Ok, yeah, um, there are ads running on BWW right now that have audio samples of "Latin from Manhattan," "Because the Night" and "Meadowlark," and, yeah, um, based on those, I would say, "yeah, um, it's worth it..........."
Updated On: 11/11/08 at 10:02 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#10re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 10:11pm

my CD is fine. I didn't notice any distortions of any kind.

oh, and the CD booklet ALONE is worth the price of the CD.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 11/11/08 at 10:11 PM

chickfila
#11re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 10:12pm

I start hearing pops and drop outs at the end of Because The Night and the beginning of Everything I am.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#12re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 10:18pm

ok, so its better to get the cd itself vs itunes??!
whats in the booklet?!
im so excited now!

givesmevoice
#13re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 10:24pm

the CD. the booklet has a few sets liner notes, including some from Patti. there's also quotes from the show's reviews, newspaper articles, and pictures of Baby Patti with people like Stephen Sondheim, Ron Duguay and Jodie Foster. and a great picture of her mother with Ethel Merman.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/11/08 at 11:05pm

The pops can be heard on the iTunes 30-second sample -- Track 12: Everything I Am (Live).

It sounds exactly like a dirty/scratched CD. If this transfer was made from a messed-up CD, they should have gone to the original tape source... which I'm sure doesn't have this issue.

#15re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 12:56am

Keep in mind that there probably isn't a master in existence or no one can trace it. I'm sure this recording was being handed around, copied from a copy from a copy from a copy over the last 28 years before they finally decided to clean it up as best they could and release it. We should all be talking about how exciting and interesting it is to have this recording and not worrying about sound quality.

RentBoy86
#16re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 1:04am

I'd be more thankful if they released Krtizter's version. Her voice is DEVINE.

timote316
#17re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 1:19am

Have you heard Patti's? Here's isn't just "devine", its divine.

Buck Profile Photo
Buck
#18re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 8:46am

>Keep in mind that there probably isn't a master in existence or no one can trace it.<

This CD was made possible due to Patti's Les Mouches musical director, David Lewis, who kept masters of the cabaret act. I think he's listed as co-producer or something like that on this release. Anyway, I did see Patti at Les Mouches the night before she won her "Evita" Tony. Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice were in the audience that night as well. I'm really looking forward to reliving some terrific memories.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#19re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 8:57am

Sorry, I was vastly disapponted in this CD. I much prefer the 2 CD Patti Live on Broadway. It's just more polished. Now don't beat down my doors, I know how old the concert is and how lucky we are that it was preserved.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#20re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 3:31pm

I don't love all of her song choices. "Heaven is a Disco" is sort of like a bad acid trip. Has a critic already said that already? Sorry. HOWEVER...The energy, the feeling, the youthfulness and the orgasmic verison of "Rainbow High" more than make up for that. Would it be hyperbolic to call this the Judy at Carnegie Hall of the Me generaiton?
I do have to say that on my bootleg that I've had for sometime, she takes "Rainbow High" in a higher key, but why carp that it wasn't picked for this release? Both versions are thrilling.
I love her little tribute to Sondheim at the end. Little did she know her wish would come true.

givesmevoice
#21re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 3:37pm

the Rainbow High on the CD definitely felt like it was in a weird key. it's so raw and, well, orgasmic is a good word, but it was a little odd to hear it in that key.

JBSinger
#22re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 4:13pm

My Cd sounds fine. Anything out of the ordinary (at one point you can hear the tape "bend") I attribute to it being basically a souped up bootleg.

Patti is amazing. The fact that about an hour+ after she sang one of the most demanding musical theatre roles, that she'd go out and sing that show is an amazing accomplishment. It's so raw and she holds NOTHING back. The piano sounds like crap (not the playing - the actual piano) and the arrangements are unusual, but what a show. You can see some of her Patti-isms are already fully formed by this point. The broad Garlandesque slides down from higher pitches, the occassional loss of diction when belting really high - but she is totally committed to the material and is really going for it.

This album may not be to everyone's taste, but it's pretty thrilling to have captured this moment for all time. so brash, brave, bold. Our current roster of stars don't get to be this free anymore (with a few execeptions).

enjoy the disc!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 4:20pm

"Heaven is a Disco" is sort of like a bad acid trip.

It was 1980. We were all on a bad trip.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#24re: Patti Lupone At Les Mouches - Distortion
Posted: 11/12/08 at 6:21pm

How cute are the pictures in the booklet? I love the one of Patti's mom and The Merm.
Updated On: 11/12/08 at 06:21 PM

Videos