News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Owen22

Member Name: Owen22
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 May 27 2024, 12:25:32 AM

bear88 said: "Dramamama,

This certainly isn’t the first time an out-of-town tryout starts with a couple of strong songs then goes downhill.

I realize Powell looks younger than his age - 29 - but is his problem something that could be fixed with acting choices and directorial guidance or is it he just miscast in a way that may not be easily addressed?

The unfinished set will be finished eventually. It sounds intriguing, at least. A Daisy with lay

BEACHES The Musical (or, musicals that replaced the composer & score)
 May 24 2024, 08:40:31 AM

I'm unsure if this is apocryphal, but I remember hearing "Little Women" was a composer/lyricist generated show, but when a producer picked it up he fired those original writers from their own show and hired Dickstein and Howland.

Stephen Pasquale to star in NINE at Kennedy Center
 May 24 2024, 08:31:51 AM

BorisTomashevsky said: "This guy doesn’t fit my definition of “surly”. Santino in the Nine “concert” last year was surly."

I would actually use the word "unprepared"...

May 22 2024, 11:58:36 AM

BCfitasafiddle said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Andy-Blankenbuehler-Will-Direct-NINE-at-the-Kennedy-Center-Starring-Steven-Pasquale-and-More-20240522

Honestly, only not exciting part of this, to me, is Andy Blankenbuehler.
"

Oh please. He's a better director than Michael Grief who directs EVERYTHING.

May 22 2024, 11:52:16 AM

Tickets bought for the final matinee (oddly I have tickets to the last matinee of Gatsby the week before...).

Neil Gaiman's CORALINE to become stage musical; to tour in UK in 2025
 May 22 2024, 08:03:00 AM

I just flashbacked....that starred Jane Houdyshell as Coraline, right???

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 May 16 2024, 08:55:09 AM

Broadway Flash said: "They did a nice job on GMA. It was much better than what Water for elephants and heart of rock and roll did."

Because, simply, The Great Gatsby has consistently better songs than any other of the big spring shows.  You can argue about the adaptation, but this musical has a way better ratio of catchy uptunes and gorgeous ballads. The opening number has already taken over Tik Tok and the idea that Gatsby's score wasn't even nominated

The Lonely Few @ MCC
 May 8 2024, 10:58:13 PM

I liked it. There is a substantial plot, but a semi hackneyed one, but enough for the actors to create characters you care about. Lauren is great. And why, after creating Perseus in Hadestown and an unforgettable Curly in Oklahoma!, is Damon Daunno reduced to taking non descript second banana roles??

Dave Malloy's THREE HOUSES at Signature
 May 8 2024, 10:46:23 PM

LeftofLinus said: "The third was not nearly as engaging for me, but it did come together in the end—I just don't think I'm a huge JD Mollison fan, to be honest —he was my least favorite part of Octet as well.Margo Seibert and Mia Pak are breathtaking in this; they soundfantastic and act the **** out of everything they aregiven."

See, the third house was easily my favorite, but I did really love the first and second alot as well. Great little piece

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York
 May 8 2024, 10:39:24 PM

As I've said before, the show will be a Broadway hit exclusively because of the talents of this original cast. One or two are bound to become American stars from it. It will be the show to see because of the talent. It's a fun show as well, at least as fun as Six (and far more ingenious). And not at all "too English".

What’s Your Favorite Song From the 23-24 Season
 Apr 28 2024, 10:11:01 AM

If we are not counting ALL the songs from Here Lies Love, I'd go with "Roaring On" from Great Gatsby. Love a great opener, and there have been very, very (to a nonexistant) few this season (actually over the last couple).

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd'
 Apr 26 2024, 08:13:29 AM

Went back last night to see the new stars. Sutton is still in Carol Burnett mode and is hilarious. I don't mind ham if it's based in truth. Aaron is always a weird one. He can act. He can sing beautifully.  He's gorgeous. But from Next To Normal on, he is always missing something...there is never a dynamic to him, especially when paired with someone who is obviously one of the most talented people on the planet. But I once again loved this staging, probably the last great Swe

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 Apr 26 2024, 07:47:40 AM

I don't know how feel now. Weirdly, a lot of these reviews are actually good. What they don't like is that it did not play fealty to its source material.  Which I fully acknowledge but enjoyed the musical anyway. But, the complaint is, change some plot points, change some characterizations, but if you are basing a show on a great American novel, do not change the original author's INTENT. I love the novel and its ever-timely themes. So should I be upset? Wicked changes L

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 22 2024, 09:37:04 AM

It is also weird that Adam Feldman does not seem to understand the concept of color blindcasting...

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 22 2024, 06:35:11 AM

A London theatre website tries to make sense of it all:  

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/what-is-going-on-with-the-cabaret-reviews_1594068/

SUFFS Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 19 2024, 11:53:31 AM

It's so weird to read Sara Holden's review of SUFFS.  It's not her at all. Usually, even in a rave, she's very analytical. She literally is just fan-girling over this show!

STEREOPHONIC Previews
 Apr 19 2024, 11:50:42 AM

I loved this play. I loved the cast, I loved the direction.  I loved the characters. I loved it's heart.  I loved the songs.  That's all.

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews
 Apr 18 2024, 10:43:14 AM

dramamama611 said: "The notion that it's terrific if you just don't think about it, is perhaps the most ridiculous idea I've seen on this board. Shucked wasn't "high art"; Rock of Ages wasn't "high art" but they weren't masquerading around as a literary classic, so yes, this WANTED to be.."

Ew. No.  It's not "masquerading around as a literary classic". It' is BASED on a literary classic. As much as th

SUFFS Previewsabout th
 Apr 18 2024, 10:17:06 AM

In the middle of the spring "theatre dump", saw this last night. I liked it, a little less than Gatsby, but it was fun, full of real "songs" (my new criteria for what I consider a good show) and lovely performances.  I may have liked it a little more if I hadn't just seen the Stereophonic matinee, but that play still had ahold of my heart (I think it will be hard pressed for me to enjoy any of the many shows I'm about to see as much).

I did no

Chu developing CRAZY RICH ASIANS musical
 Apr 17 2024, 09:59:30 AM

Ashley Park just secured her next job.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You