News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for AlfieByrne

Member Name: AlfieByrne
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater  Aug 15 2019, 12:50:52 AM
I totally believe that Katrina Lenk is a captivating actress, but I'm totally getting Daphne Rubin-Vega in Les Mis vibes here... Hopefully Katrina won't shout-sing her way through Being Alive.
The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions  Dec 14 2017, 06:47:18 AM

The February try-outs of Crazy For You revival in LA has been "postponed" (I'm guessing it'll eventually be a stop on a tour later on). They're casting for the workshop and a spring opening, so I'm guessing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is closing to make way for it.

Summer: the Donna Summer Musical  Nov 14 2017, 06:06:22 PM
I saw it this past week and have to voice that the performances (especially Lachanze) from all three Donnas were terrific. The book, however, needs quite a bit of work. The story doesn't take on a linear structure, which was fine and in fact refreshing, but the emotional arc of her story was unsatisfying and cluttered. They discuss her depression, abuse, family issues, etc, and end the show with "Oh hey, my Adam and Steve joke wasn't appreciated by the audience and became a category 5 storm. But
Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording  May 15 2017, 04:48:46 AM

I think I can pinpoint down to somewhere around 2004-2006 when the "sound" of the recent recordings became flat. Shows like Spamalot, Light in the Piazza, Jersey Boys, etc. have the old sound. The 2006 revival of A Chorus Line is one of the earliest examples (that I can think of) that have that crisp, yet "dead" sound that lacks excitement IMO. This is all based on my untrained ear, however.

Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!  May 8 2017, 04:22:53 AM

^ Even if the choreography was an "homage," were the nominating group and the voters aware of precisely which movements had - 1) replicated Gower's choreography, 2) were inspired by Gower's but a little different, and  3) were completely new moves created by Warren Carlyle?

Just like how Manchester by the Sea's score by Lesley Barber was deemed ineligible for Best Score at the Oscars for utilizing some of the old classical orchestral works, I don't think

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017  Apr 5 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Carolee Carmello was already respected as a working actress when she did Scandalous, which helped her secure a nomination in a not-too-competitive year. Christy Altomare? Not at all. And it's not as if her performance will be singled out like it was the case with Mueller in On a Clear Day. Laura Osnes keeps getting work, but I'm not sure if she's THAT popular. She's just not as exciting as, say, Kelli O'hara. Noblezada has the inevitable hurdle of being compared to Lea Sal

Miss Saigon Alternate Schedule  Apr 5 2017, 06:39:21 AM

She doesn't sound anything like Lea IMO in that clip. Her vowels are a bit distracting while her high notes are a little too belty and scratchy.

meh season?  Apr 5 2017, 06:30:33 AM

I think it has been one of the strongest in a few years for musicals.

From 2014 through last year, I'd argue that Matilda, Fun Home, and Hamilton (and maaaybe Kinky Boots) were truly exceptional. And DEH, Come from Away, and Great Comet are all on par with those, in my opinion. The musical revivals are quite strong, too, reminiscent of the 2008 season in my opinion (though it is unfortunate that Sunday won't be competing).

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews  Apr 4 2017, 01:39:32 AM

I would say no. I was in the same boat as you regarding my lack of familiarity with the show and Bette's work. I kept my expectation somewhat reasonable, and while the show was fun, I wasn't completely mesmerized by Bette. The energy in the audience with all the anticipation seemed to overwhelm Bette's presence somewhat.

If you don't have an unlimited budget, I'd wait to see one of Donna's performances for a more reasonable price.

Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 17 2016, 07:10:04 PM

MIXED from The LA Times. Positive impression overall with the show, but some critique regarding the lack of intimacy and with the cast

The musical adaptation, written by Craig Lucas (book), Daniel Messé (music) and Nathan Tysen (who co-wrote the lyrics with Messé, reinvents the movie’s frolicsome charm. The production, directed by Pam MacKinnon, opts for handcrafted effects — magic that doesn’t hide its strings. A winking spirit prevails.

[...]

Admittedly, the Ahmanson’s large stage isn’t the ideal platform for the show’s visual sprightliness. There are times when it seems like an amuse-bouche is being served on a turkey platter. I longed for more intimacy with Soo’s Amélie, who’s so busy trotting from one swirling scene to the next that she doesn’t always come into sharp enough focus.

[...]

An exquisite soprano, Soo is in looks, demeanor and voice a more natural Amélie, yet she seems to be relying at this point more on her presence than her acting. Soo’s Amélie is shy, beautiful, genial — and a little bland. The character’s individual contours aren’t fully drawn yet.

[...]

But these quibbles likely won’t keep you from getting swept up in the fun of this larky show. The music, which is nearly continuous, provides a magic carpet of orchestral strings upon which the production floats at will.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-amelie-musical-review-20161217-story.html

Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 5 2016, 07:15:55 PM

^ Isn't necessarily nuanced.

Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 5 2016, 07:00:14 PM

Indeed, other-worldly is a more appropriate adjective in my review. Thank you, QueenAlice.

And regarding my nuance comment, I do think Philippa Soo is a very capable performer who can be appropriate for many roles. Amelie wasn't one of them. The clips I've seen of her as Natasha are wonderful and moving. Her performance in Hamilton was adequate, but nothing more. I'd argue that for a performance to be nuanced (an overused, sometimes incorrectly used term these days in my opini

Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 5 2016, 05:14:48 PM

I, too, saw it last night.

I'd like to contrast some of the opinions posted by stating that Phillipa doesn't shine at all. I didn't get to see Samantha Barks so I can't compare. Phillipa Soo sings well and has learned her lines, but her characterization is quite basic. Where's the nuance? (I had a similar complaint with her portrayal as Eliza: she was quite one-note. Had her performance been taken out of Hamilton's hype context, there's no way she should hav

Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA  Dec 4 2016, 11:23:30 PM

LA Times is mostly negative, criticizing the book and the direction while mixed on the individual performances.

Arden’s production reinforced my sense of the show as an insoluble stage conundrum — too enticing to be neglected yet too problematic ever to be a hit.

[...]

If the bond between Brady’s Charley and Lazar’s Franklin still seems theoretical despite the relaxed camaraderie between them, it has at least as much to do with the writing as with the inexact chemistry of Arden’s cast.

[...]

Part of the problem is the direction, which heightens the show’s melodramatic stiffness. Arden adventurously resets the production in a backstage dressing room area that put me in mind of 1970s TV variety shows. (Laffrey, who did the sets as well as the costumes, is better at creating a general theatrical impression than situating us in a specific time or place.) But the opening scene, which culminates in a violent eruption, is totally unconvincing in both its abstract theatricality and florid turn into soap opera.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-merrily-we-roll-along-review-20161201-story.html

Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA  Dec 3 2016, 05:31:03 PM

Grabbed a pair of tickets for the Thursday performance. Wayne Brady was out, so we saw the understudy who had to perform with a script in his hand the whole show.

Overall, the cast was uneven. I agree that Whitney Bashor as quite good and her "Not a Day Goes By" was beautifully restrained but her portrayal nevertheless resilient. Saycon Sengbloh was rather one-note, but her voice wonderful. Eric B Anthony (iirc) who subbed for Wayne Brady made best of what he could do, and his rich voi

Is revival the only real Tony race this year?  Mar 19 2016, 02:05:49 PM

pupscotch said: "Best Play should be an interesting category. I've said previously in the thread that I haven't seen Eclipsed, but even between the Humans and King Charles III it is very difficult for me to pick a winner. "

I would also keep an eye out for Mtc's production of The Father.

The Original Broadway Commercial for The Wiz  Dec 7 2015, 12:25:02 PM

best12bars said: "

It's pretty mind-blowing that she wasn't even nominated for a Tony.

"

It appears that Clive Barnes wrote a tepid review regarding Mills' performance. I wonder what the general public's opinion was.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/theater/82169467.pdf

Allegiance Previews  Oct 8 2015, 05:36:53 AM

I have a hunch that the reviews will be mixed to positive. I definitely felt some hesitation in expressing an outright negative review since the show does try, and I think many critics will be feeling the same way. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it closes in January if the show doesn't go through a major, major overhaul and become a critical hit.

Allegiance Previews  Oct 7 2015, 03:49:23 AM

I attended the first preview in San Diego, and gave a rather critical review on a thread on BWW. That was over three years ago and I was hoping quite a bit of changes would be made for the better.

Unfortunately, as Whizzer points out, the show still doesn't deliver. His criticism on Arima's direction is spot-on. He does nothing to bring out anything genuine from the actors or the script. From my somewhat hazy memory, it does feel as if the show went through some cha

Pippin Tour?  Aug 6 2015, 01:17:05 AM

Saw the Tuesday performance.

Vocally, Brian was ok. Definitely had some shaky notes (e.g. end of Corner of the Sky, Extraordinary, etc) but sang as one would expect from a recent BFA MT graduate. His Pippin was definitely on the softer (and possibly blander?) side, and made me realize how underrated MJT was on Broadway. While MJT's character arc was clearly defined in all of the performances I saw him as Pippin, Brian came across as a whiney prep school boy all the way until the en

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You