News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for YouDon'tClimbTrees?

YouDon'tClimbTrees? Profile Photo
Member Name: YouDon'tClimbTrees?
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 26 2018, 09:46:19 AM

Any idea on whether this could be extended?

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 24 2018, 07:46:13 AM

I've read all of the reviews I could find and I'm a little unsure of the overall sentiment for this play. The New York Times is generally positive, although somewhat tepid -- the only things Jesse Green says about Armie Hammer are that he's "shiny" (not really a compliment in this context) and "spot on" (I guess that's a compliment but if I were Armie, I would have liked a little more than that). There are several other positive reviews, but I would sa

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 23 2018, 10:17:44 AM

My question is this -- is there any "major" critic out there who's going to get it right?

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 23 2018, 08:52:37 AM

JBC3 said: "AH yes, the overheated hyperbole of gloom and doom for theater. Always a nice way to start the week."

I certainly support theater but not all theater is worthy of being supported, unfortunately.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 23 2018, 08:51:21 AM

jkstheatrescene said: "What a relief, then, that it will only be around temporarily, no matter what the reviews are. If you think it sucks, it may even close early. If you think it is great, then you can lament that it's only a limited engagement. The best of both worlds."

Ha, good point. I bet it will stick around through the September 9th closing date (and it won't get extended) because it looks like a lot of the seats have already been sold.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 23 2018, 08:47:38 AM

After Eight said: "YouDon'tClimbTrees? wrote:

"Well said, and I completely agree. The reviews will be positive, despite the fact that the play, direction, acting, and entire production are truly awful."

Actually, in all likelihood, the reviews will be absolute raves.

Thisis what our theatre has become; what theatre criticism has become; what our world has become.

And the future onlyoffers more of the same.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 23 2018, 08:22:49 AM

After Eight said: "Markypoo wrote: "At 63, I've had many, many occasions of being proved wrong, but that constant grinding sound inside my head could be the critics busily sharpening their knives for this one."

I'm afraid you may be proven wrong again. Yes, the play is a monument of ineptitude, and an affront to both theatregoersand tothe theatre itself. But considering what passes for theatre criticism nowadays, I expect it will be showered w

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 23 2018, 08:19:24 AM

scripps said: "YouDon'tClimbTrees said: "As much as I love Armie Hammer and am currently obsessed with "Call Me By Your Name," I disliked every moment of this play. I was hoping that seeing it would make me get over my crush on the man. Surprisingly, it almost did."

I hear you! My friendand I sawthis via $99 discount preview seats in the third row for Armie and Armie only, and well ... he knew his lines.That love doesn't burn as brightly as it once did for either of us now. Your loss, Armie!

"

Sigh, thank you for this great post! I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Yes, he knew his lines and that's all I can say about him in this debacle. I mean, it was great to see this magnificent-looking man up close (and I even got to see him walking down the street before the show, which made me melt...) but let me just say... he isn't Oliver.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 16 2018, 01:05:55 PM

What happened to tonight's 7pm performance? It's listed on the schedule but then when you try to purchase tickets, it's nowhere to be found.

Riedel on Straight White Men casting changes  Jul 13 2018, 01:36:24 PM

JayG 2 said: "To get back to the topic: The understudy was not very good last week. Still having a little trouble with lines. The play is preposterous and hits a person over the head with a sledgehammer with its "relevant" message aboutstraight white men. Yet, it is not boring and the actors playing the three sons (although dealing with roles that are so removed from reality) are quite good. Hard to recommend but if you find yourself in the theater, it's only 90 minutes

Riedel on Straight White Men casting changes  Jul 13 2018, 07:56:26 AM

Stephen Payne had some trouble with his lines when I saw the show last Sunday night. And Austin Pendleton was in the audience -- I wonder if they might put him in there before the show opens.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 12 2018, 11:40:39 AM

Ah, no wonder I saw Austin Pendleton in the audience. Perhaps that was a better production of the play. I can't imagine anyone calling this one "mournful" or "inquisitive."

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 12 2018, 07:40:05 AM

Someone called it a "black comedy." I honestly didn't find any of it remotely humorous and the darkness that was very hastily thrown in there was never fully explored. Also, I didn't care about any of the characters. It's really a shame because I was so excited going in. I wonder if they're going to change anything before it opens. And how will the critics react? And I was wondering -- what's in it for Armie Hammer? 

Steven Pasquale & Kerry Washington to Star in Broadway Premiere of AMERICAN SON, Fall 2018 at the Booth  Jul 10 2018, 01:40:23 PM

Yuck, Kerry Washington has zero acting talent. Pass.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 10 2018, 08:25:42 AM

Phantom4ever said: "Saw Straight White Men last night and I am disappointed I wasted a slot on it.

The show seemed to be a VERY early draft of what one day might possibly be a good play with compelling message. The way the brothers carried on so much as goofballs was not funny to me, a gay white man, possibly because I grew up around these kind of guys (the BROS) and still interact with them on occasion and I find them insufferable. It is worth noting that the entire theat

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 9 2018, 03:15:06 PM

There was a weird echo at my performance, too. Someone near me had a hearing device and I think there was a lot of static and feedback coming out of it. It was very distracting. That, plus the weird tapping sound.

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 9 2018, 03:08:37 PM

I saw this last night at 7pm (the Sunday July 8th performance). Was anyone else here at that show? There was a constant tapping noise throughout and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Somewhere in the audience, orchestra section...

STRAIGHT WHITE MEN Previews  Jul 3 2018, 12:15:45 PM

I'm also seeing it on Sunday. I'm curious as to how Armie Hammer is doing in his Broadway debut.

Location of Broadway Cares Flea Market 2017  Aug 7 2017, 09:45:10 AM

I'm excited for September's Broadway Cares Flea Market but I was wondering -- does anyone know where it will be held this year? Last year it was on both 44th and 45th Streets, with half of each street being open to traffic, which was ridiculous. All of the previous years it was just on 44th Street with no traffic.

Mary Tyler Moore in grave condition: TMZ  Jan 25 2017, 02:56:03 PM

BroadwayConcierge said: "TMZ reports that she has died. My heart is broken.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/25/mary-tyler-moore-dead/"

Mine too.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You