News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for OldTheatreLover

Member Name: OldTheatreLover
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Lea Michele … Fanny Replacement.
 Nov 15 2022, 08:34:45 PM

Jarethan said: "The fact that Streisand never got a Tony for playing Fanny could present an issue. Even there, however, I guess one could argue that she did get a Tony for Funny Girl since there was no other reason to give her a special Tony, since the last time she was on a Broadway stage was when she left Funny Girl, and no one was going to give her one for I Can Get It for You Wholesale."

Streisand was in fact nominated for a Tony for Wholesale. 

What is the lowlight of your theatre going experiences?
 Sep 21 2022, 06:55:08 PM

Seeing the touring company of Titanic in San Francisco. Firstly, when picking up our tickets at the box office, our seats were moved to row 7 or so, having been originally ticketed further back in the orchestra (should have been an indication that performances hadn’t been going well). Secondly, there was a scene where a small (tiny actually) model of the ship was to move across the stage but it fell over and was dragged off stage. Thirdly, and most importantly, the leading man was horri

Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
 Aug 1 2022, 09:20:13 PM

Penna2 said: "Barbra did the show for a year. Mimi Hines did it for 18 months after that on Broadway. The National Tour ran for a year with Marilyn Michaels during 1965-66. The show doesn't need Barbra, just a strong lead. I think they will be happy with a year tbh, but who knows?"

Barbra did the show for about 19 months before opening the London show. I remember this period vividly as the buzz about Streisand and therefore Funny Girl was blue-white hot. Many peo

Streisand and the FUNNY GIRL Phenomenon
 Jul 22 2022, 02:15:01 AM

Penna2 said: "As an aside. His description of Streisand then and throughout her career struck me since I began following her when she was still a singer that couldn't end a song without a bit of a screech."

I have been a Streisand fan since the early 60’s (hence my handle here) and I’ve seen her perform live quite a few times since her beginning and I have NEVER heard her “screech.”

Streisand and the FUNNY GIRL Phenomenon
 Jul 21 2022, 02:53:30 AM

That was an excellent article and thank you for steering me to it. 

29 years ago Streisand released 'Back to Broadway' and upset Patti Lupone
 Jul 1 2022, 03:05:26 AM

As much as I love Patti, she’s a peanut in the entertainment arena compared to Barbra, a living legend. I don’t think ALW was wrong to have the top female recording artist perform his songs, after all her rendition of Memory from Cats helped him in the past. 

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 May 20 2022, 03:11:15 PM

I’m sorry but this entire production smells like a vanity project whether or not it can be proven as such. The casting leaves no room for any other logic. 

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
 May 11 2022, 04:58:56 AM
As Danny Burstein said, he's NEVER heard a voice more clear, powerful and faultless (paraphrasing) as Aaron Tveit's, so those are big shoes for Derek to fill.
 Apr 27 2022, 04:33:37 AM

TaffyDavenport said: "Rex Reed is Fanny's coat, protecting her from the harsh reviews."

Not casting any aspersions but I didn't know Rex Reed was still alive, seriously.

Apr 26 2022, 04:54:44 PM

nealb1 said: "Seeing the show tonight, and really looking forward to it. Have done FG twice before, playing the tenor who sings "His Love Makes You Beautiful." First time was in 1993 with a very young Stephanie Block as Fanny Brice."

As a singer who has actually performed in this show on a professional level, it will be interesting to hear your take on this production after tonight. 

Apr 21 2022, 09:26:19 PM

Lorna Joe said: "Trish2 said: "Lorna Joe? One of the Petticoat Junction Bradley sisters? Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo, Bettie Jo, and now Lorna Joe? "

Oh I also saw FUNNY GIRL in 1964 with Barbra Streisand it was nothing special.... the best show I EVER saw was HELLO DOLLY with Carol Channing in the early 1960s (the dates elude me).
"

YettaTelebenda2 said: "I saw Barbra Streisand in it in 1964, I still have that Playbill! I was not blown away. I remember thinking: where's the spark? I will tell you this: the best show I ever saw in my entire life was Hello Dolly, in 1964?, with Carol Channing. it was exhilarating.”

Yetta and/or Lorna, just how many new accounts do you have on here??

Apr 21 2022, 03:06:03 AM

BalconyClub said: "…It’s good enough. Fanny Brice is a comedy act, not a singing act. The show is called Funny Girl, not Singing Girl."

Haha, what a ringing endorsement. Fanny Brice was a comedienne AND a singer. Funny Girl is about Fanny Brice. Funny Girl is a MUSICAL!

Apr 13 2022, 07:48:19 PM

Mike Barrett said: "Cousin saw this last week. They’re a big Beanie.

They loved it!!! But, admitted Beanie’s signing wasn’t powerful. They thought her acting more than made up for it…
"

It’s a MUSICAL!

Why hasn't Ann-Margret been on Broadway ?
 Apr 12 2022, 07:42:44 PM

A friend of mine used to lease his lakefront home in Lake Tahoe (a very grand place) to her and her husband when she was performing at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe. Of all the stars who stayed there (Sammy Davis Jr, Cher, Tom Jones, Liberace, etc.) he said Ann-Margaret was the sweetest and most down-to-earth of them all. I just thought it’s nice to hear what a person is like off stage. 

Apr 3 2022, 12:54:24 AM

This old poor quality audio is just a small part of the reason why I’ve always believed that a Broadway revival of this show could only really be successful once the memory of the OBC fades (if ever) and everyone who starred in it has passed on. Enjoy the music!

https://youtu.be/IxWrfKiAxKI

Apr 1 2022, 09:50:50 PM

YettaTelebenda2 said: "Would producers risk so much money by going with an average talent?It sounds like audiences are loving her. I think they should have had an audition process, but whatever...

I saw Barbra Streisand in it in 1964, I still have that Playbill! I was not blown away. I remember thinking: where's the spark? I was however blown away by her TV special: My Name Is Barbra.

I will tell you this: the best show I ever saw in my entire life was Hello

Mar 30 2022, 03:09:07 AM

Duplicate post

Mar 30 2022, 03:09:04 AM

FindingNamo said: "There's the kinda chatter on this thread that almost got this whole place shut down by one very angry Broadway performer and the crowds that piled on with them. I'd just like to remind a lot of you that you arenot being very supportive of Broadway, which we all love.I mean, most people encourageconstructivecriticism and a little light snark, but really. My word.

Be a people who supports Broadway.
"

This board sho

Beanie Feldstein in FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Mar 29 2022, 01:17:31 AM

CarlosAlberto said: "BrodyFosse123 said:

FUNNY GIRL the name is selling tickets - not Beanie’s or anyone else’s name above the title. Fans of the legendary 1968 film are why folks are excited about this revival and what is prompting folks to buy tickets. Everyone I know could care less about Beanie.

Well, those “folks” you speak of are in for a huge disappointment…from what I’ve read the Broadway stage ve

Beanie Feldstein in FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Mar 25 2022, 05:32:35 PM

joevitus said: "JSquared2 said: "Skip23 said: "While actors doin't have to mimic the stars they are portraying (and Fanny Brice's actual performance still and even what she looked like is largely unknown now, so few will make a comparison)"

Very few if anyone alive has seen Fanny Brice’s actual performances (other than some old movies) and would have no association to a contemporary actress such as Beanie playing Fanny. Howev

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You