News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BWAYLeaks

Member Name: BWAYLeaks
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BWW history lesson? Let's not forget...
 Jul 4 2017, 10:11:21 AM

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/A-Musical-History-Lesson-America-101-20170704

I was disappointed by some omissions from this list, and wanted to take the opportunity to highlight some of the less favorable (and often forgotten / ignored) parts of our American history that we've explored in the theatre. When we can embrace some of the darker chapters of our American history, and come to terms with it, we can better understand ourselves as Americans and strive to do better.

Here are just a few omissions I wish I saw on this list. Please feel free to add to this list on this thread. 

COME FROM AWAY - I was actually shocked this didn't make the list! Yes, most of the piece takes place in Gander. But certainly 9/11 is a significant part of our American history, and the way this show handles this difficult subject matter is masterful. 

ALLEGIANCE - This forgotten chapter of American history, when we wrongly imprisoned hundreds of thousands of Japanese-Americans in internment camps was sadly forgotten on this list.

FROST NIXON - This fascinating play has a particular poignance and relevance today, with the frequent headlines of Trump's declining presidency, signaling that history might just repeat itself. (Frank Rich recently wrote a great article about this!)

Will Great Comet Take Best Score This Year?
 May 18 2017, 12:16:46 AM

I think the award will go to DEH.

To each their own. I found the score to COMET to be a meandering mess. The songs have no structure - if you can even call these musical ramblings "songs". It felt like one long recitative. I was, and still am, puzzled by the buzz of this show. 

Is the Great Comet really that confusing
 Apr 28 2017, 12:50:30 PM

Kad said: "I don't think "I wasn't emotionally invested in the characters/story" is a valid critique of the objective value of something. I was emotionally invested in Great Comet. Not so much Dear Evan Hansen. I don't think that's a success on the part of the former or a failure from the latter, but rather just my own preferences.

"

Absolutely agree. Whether one is emotionally engaged is complete

Apr 28 2017, 10:47:59 AM

BobbyD3 said: "It is confusing....and unnecessarily so.  The concept is brilliant, the staging is fun, the set and lights are dynamic - but the book sucks.  If you need a cliff notes in your playbill you overreached.  

It was like the musical version of Medieval Times - a slew of interestingly dressed people with a ton of energy yelling at me to be have fun.  

"

I kept thinking to myself after the show: the technica

Apr 28 2017, 10:27:52 AM

Saw this two nights ago. Count me in as one of the many who will admit - I was confused. Not only was I confused by the plot (which is all over the place), but I was confused by the entire 2.5 hour experience. I sat there for 2.5 hours not feeling anything, and not learning anything. The visual / audio experience was very cool - and I certainly applaud many aspects of the execution (especially from this winning cast of fully committed actors - though the quality of the singing was questi

Significant Casualties: When Quality Shows Become Missed Adventures
 Apr 15 2017, 12:07:52 PM

I second SCOTTSBORO BOYS. Closed way too soon. 

2017 Tony Awards Host
 Apr 14 2017, 09:12:21 AM

Bring ROSIE back! 

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
 Apr 14 2017, 09:11:11 AM

I also have tickets to see Donna Murphy, and I must say that I am more excited about seeing her than I am to see Bette. Don't get me wrong. I love Bette Midler, but I feel like I'd be paying all that money to see "Bette Midler" - not "Hello, Dolly" (one of my favorite shows). I'm sure she's wonderful, but I actually think it's very hard for an audience to divorce "Bette" from "Dolly."  I think Donna will give us a deeply fe

How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
 Apr 14 2017, 09:05:41 AM

I actually agree with you, Chesney Snow. (By the way, I saw you in the show - and you were definitely a highlight for me).  

Say what you will about the "coulda shoulda woulda" of this show and the many amateur missteps which were "producing 101" - but if it wasn't for passionate risk takers with the resources to produce and invest (like Janet Rosen), how many shows would never get produced and never see the light of day? At the end of the da

What's Next for Cynthia Erivo?
 Apr 11 2017, 12:51:25 AM

NOWaWarning said: "I want her to be Elphaba in the Wicked movie

"

This would be brilliant casting! 

Interesting NPR report on this crowded Broadway season
 Mar 27 2017, 02:04:12 PM

Thanks. This is a great article. Broadway is still feeling the "Hamilton effect" with this very crowded season of new musicals. Many of these shows have been circling Broadway for years, but avoided opening last season - and now we are overwhelmed with new musicals. It's wonderful for the art form, since it feels like an embarrassment of riches artistically this season. But, it's "dog eat dog" for new musicals at the box office. The competition is fierce. It a

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
 Mar 27 2017, 01:57:08 PM

BroadwayConcierge said: "Anyway, previews in November, opening in December. Which venues could they possibly have on lock?

"

According to some colleagues, it will be Circle in the Square. Out of courtesy to the current tenant, they won't announce it until "In Transit" announces a closing date. 

1996 phantom incident
 Mar 15 2017, 09:56:14 AM

Mister Matt said: "and they were actually caught lip-syncing from recordings form the sound board, and not singing.

Really?  How did each cast member coordinate that with the sound operator and the conductor to get the timing right?

My error. "Lip Sync" is probably the wrong term. Rather, some were caught NOT singing, and simply moving their mouths and pretending to sing in big ensemble numbers. They

Is Once on this Island still opening in May?
 Mar 15 2017, 09:52:05 AM

Ken Davenport is producer. Michael Arden is directing. I've heard Circle in the Square, this fall. Not quite official, but that's the rumor. I think Circle is an inspired venue for this. I, for one, can not wait. It's one of my favorite shows. The original was stunning, and completely overshadowed that season by the massive shows that season: Miss Saigon, Will Roger's Follies (which won), & Secret Garden.  

1996 phantom incident
 Mar 15 2017, 09:33:45 AM

I knew many folks on both sides of the Les Miz "house cleaning". Some of them were good solid performers who were victims of a few lazy performers (mostly longtime ensemble members) who marked the entire show, and they were actually caught lip-syncing from recordings form the sound board, and not singing. Lip syncing. On Broadway. In Les Miz. It was unacceptable, and the firings were valid. But unfortunately, there was a lot of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater,&qu

Dramatic Shakespeare monologues for young men suggestions?
 Mar 15 2017, 09:20:58 AM

I've always loved this one: Prince Hal - III ii 132

Verse

Henry IV i

Best Hello Dolly Album
 Mar 15 2017, 09:16:17 AM

Love the1994 recording. Got to see this production on Broadway, and it was like going into a time machine, witnessing that iconic performance. The original Broadway cast recording is still my fav. There is warmth to those cast recordings in the 60's. I have it on LP, and it's one of my favorites to revisit from time to time. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You