News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for FrontLtGuy

Member Name: FrontLtGuy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
 Apr 19 2017, 07:56:46 PM

qolbinau said: ""“He might want to break his arm for real,” says a cynical Tony voter." - so true. 

Anyone know what the refund policy is for Andy'a abscence is

edit: I agree! 

GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
 Apr 18 2017, 12:21:05 AM

wonderfulwizard11 said: ""Well he seems like a genuinely nice person, and I get upset when people feel the need to say rude things about nice, talented people."

Oh good lord- no one is saying he's personally a jerk, but it's an opinion on his performance. Not everyone is required to believe Ben Platt is god's gift to musical theatre. 

"

AGREED! Ben Platt is not a gift to musical theater to anyone over the age

Andy Karl tonight
 Apr 16 2017, 10:16:12 PM

nycward said: "I would guess at this point that the show will open tomorrow as scheduled with AC in the role. If AK can return within a week or so I suspect that the producers will petition the Tony committee to make an exception to the rule and assuming that there will be enuf time for them to see his performance they would have to be total dicks not to grant it. of course, if the injury is more severe as it may be (I have given up my daily jog around the Central Park reservoir for these past 6 months due to a torn meniscus) they will have no choice but to consider AC for the Tony. Considering that AK has already recorded the OCR if he returns in a few months as time goes by he will be remembered as the original lead in the show and AC may benefit from a Tony Nom. Perhaps both of their careers will benefit from the publicity and their sheer talent to weather the ups and downs of showbiz  

"

Even if Andy Karl is not able to perform at opening, and is not eligible, his understudy will not be considered for the award, nor will he replace him in the show, nor will they dub his voice on the recording. My money is that he is back tomorrow. 

Let's not joke around.. andy karl makes or breaks this show. I can't imagine many others that can pull it off like he does. It's one of those shows where the material works best with a particular actor.

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Apr 6 2017, 08:21:22 PM

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Much as I love ANDY KARL, it seems a bit... arrogant for the production to record a cast album already... It's like they are convinced it will be some massive hit... Meanwhile we are all begging for a SUNDAY IN THE PARK recording...Or HELLO DOLLY!

Is it normal for shows to do this? Just curious...

"

....what?!?

what part of promoting the musical through its music is arrogant?

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
 Mar 30 2017, 08:45:08 AM

newintown said: "It may be a good time to note that the director of this piece is about to turn 78 years old and has been suffering health issues for quite some time. With a book writer with no musical theatre exxperience, and a songwriting team with only one successful score to their names - these facts may have something to do with the production's flaws.

"

I think Jack is a great director. I don't think it has muc

Mar 30 2017, 08:15:56 AM

RW3 said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "RW3 said: "So they couldn't just put Borle in a wig instead of making him shave his head?

Just to clarify, Borle didn't shave his head. His baldness is courtesy of a wig, and when he drops the disguise and becomes Wonka again his natural hair is back.

To give another example of how misguided this production is, let me describe the top of the show. The curtain goes up to reveal a little

Mar 30 2017, 01:10:42 AM

GreasedLightning said: "I guess my point is why would he want to stay connected to a project that he is moving on from, so much so as to become a producer on it. Especially if it's one that he knows nothing about (speaking of the new production here) and is, apparently and ultimately, a disappointment to its viewers. 

And if he IS closely involved, then why hasn't he stepped in creatively and given some advice to the new creative team on how to improve on this

Mar 30 2017, 01:04:51 AM

GreasedLightning said: "His statement makes sense. I just think with a new creative team, a newly envisioned design and an entirely different production (in addition to RippedMan's point above) I wouldn't have expected Mendes to serve as producer. That's what I thought was strange. 

But apparently my opinion is wrong. 

"

the easiest way to stay connected to a project is to pay for some of it! 

Mar 30 2017, 01:00:25 AM

RippedMan said: "Hm. I doubt he's a financial producer, no? I mean the show flopped in London, so why would he assume it'd be a hit here? 

I'm just so curious why they went so cheap with this. It's mindnumbing. This show should be magical. It's like when I saw Finding Neverland and you could see stage hands bringing the set on and off. Like, wtf. Where is the magic?

"

Lol what is a non-financial producer???

Mar 30 2017, 12:54:09 AM

GreasedLightning said: "A quick Google search provided two pieces of information that I found interesting and worth sharing: 

1. Mendes is a producer of the Broadway production, which seems strange. 

2. West End previews were delayed 5 days due to an "unforeseen missing piece of set that was not delivered on time by the contractor," which also seems strange. 

"

Neither of the things you l

Mar 30 2017, 12:47:19 AM

SweetLips said: "I can only read about but unfortunately never get to see any of the shows written about on BWW.

How is it that 90% of the people here who have seen Charlie and have been unanimous about the so called 'problems' with the show and the creatives don't see this.

Surely there are some here who have friends in or know someone associated with the show who can help explain why these unpopular decisions were made-----that I would like to read

Mar 30 2017, 12:37:31 AM

RippedMan said: "FrontLtguy: No, the creative team is the same. Same writing team, same director. And the set designer is the same. So I don't know what the **** happened. 

Check again.. it's 100% not the same director. It's a new vision of the show... can't you tell?

"

Mar 30 2017, 12:36:03 AM

6 friends from out of town (not theater people) said it was meteocre. I think it's a bust...but it will still make money and sell tickets for better or worse

Mar 30 2017, 12:31:47 AM

They've already made plenty of money in advance sales, so yes. It will be around no matter how much it is hated

Mar 30 2017, 12:29:20 AM

RippedMan said: "I mean they chose that theater... But if I recall the theater in London had a TON of backstage space, so they could get bigger set pieces in. I just don't get why they didn't take that design and scale it down a bit for Broadway. 

The entire creative team is new except for the production designer. He is the only common denominator from London, but it is an entirely "new" production and it was a deliberate choic

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Mar 28 2017, 11:16:56 PM

Scarywarhol said: "This was a massive disappointment for me. I adore Tim Minchin, and thought this idea had great potential. This show has no focus. It has no idea where it's trying to go, or what it really cares about. The score is shockingly bland. Phil is just some asshole, and I didn't particularly care for him to get better. The women are barely characters, but the attempt to fix this by shoehorning in songs (about what they want in men/love?) does nothing to help.

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Mar 24 2017, 06:42:05 PM

QueenAlice said: "Margo- they are doing a lot of papering. By all accounts the advance box office for the show is low.

"

Can you share where you found out this information? About the low ticket sales and the papering?

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Mar 24 2017, 06:40:55 PM

DAME said: "It wasn't my thing.  I did kind of enjoy the second act.  But this won't last.

"

How do you know that it won't last?

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Mar 22 2017, 11:03:02 AM

Lot666 said: "theatregoer3 said: "If you're referring to the staging, I don't think it was non-traditional. The car chase was fun but we were all so bored by that point that we were just happy to be entertained. It comes after that useless drinking song. The constant use of the revolves started to make me a bit woozy."

There have been several references to what seems to be a unique approach to the staging in this show. Could someone please d

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Mar 22 2017, 12:02:39 AM

GreasedLightning said: "neonlightsxo said: "I'll repeat myself, since this is the Groundhog Day thread. They didn't make any changes after London, they're not going to make them now.

"

Thank you for being the voice of the creative team! I am sure (no, positive) that only after 4 days of previews they are happy with their product as is. 

"

Thank you!!!!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You