News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DrFrasierCrane

DrFrasierCrane Profile Photo
Member Name: DrFrasierCrane
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Do You Remember Your First Time?  Jun 29 2017, 10:56:03 PM

I saw Phantom of the Opera on tour with my mother. I think I was 9 or 10 so I can't say I remember much. My seat was right beneath the chandelier. I was amazed at how dynamic the sets were, certainly a far cry from the community theatre I was used to. The program is still is my closet somewhere.

Star-Studded Into The Woods Revival?  Jun 1 2017, 11:24:46 PM

I'd love to see Carmen Cusack as the Witch. Ditto on Ashley Park as Cinderella.

A Broadway Musical That Got A Foreign Culture Right?  May 27 2017, 09:36:29 PM

Pacific Overtures comes to mind. It's still very much a Western show, but Sondheim, Hal Prince, and John Weidman all took care to be sensitive and accurate with the material. 

If SUNDAY IN THE PARK had not withdrawn from Tonys...  May 2 2017, 03:34:02 PM

"adamgreer said: Yes, being (two-time) previous winners really hurt Christine Ebersole and Patti LuPone in that category. "

To be fair, their last wins were ten and nine years ago respectively, but I'll admit to be shortsighted in my previous statements. I can't say I know how tony nominators think, so I'll agree that, in all likelihood, Annaleigh would've been nominated.

If SUNDAY IN THE PARK had not withdrawn from Tonys...  May 2 2017, 03:18:38 PM

To clarify,  since Annaleigh won her first tony only two years ago. It makes me wonder if she wouldn't get in because of how crowded the category is this year (and we can't pretend like award shows don't take into account previous wins). Don't get me wrong, I adored her performance and would argue her Marie was definitive. If the production was eligible, I would've loved to see Annaleigh and Jake get nominated.

If SUNDAY IN THE PARK had not withdrawn from Tonys...  May 2 2017, 02:51:35 PM

I think either Penny Fuller, Erin Davey, or Ashley Park could've made it into best featured actress. I'm terms of supporting actor, I think either Philip Boykin or Robert Sean Leonard could've gotten a nod. While I'm sure Jake would've gotten a nom, Annaleigh might've been shut out because of weird award show politics. 

This Season's Performances You Consider Underrated  Apr 29 2017, 10:06:50 AM

The supporting cast of SITPWG was fantastic, but I feel like Penny Fuller hasn't been getting enough love. Her "Beautiful" was just that.

The company of Pacific Overtures is a strong ensemble cast. Ann Harada is a real standout. Her "Welcome to Kanagawa" was the only time I've actually laughed during that song.

Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush  Apr 23 2017, 08:08:12 PM

As a preface, I attended one of this production's first previews, and just saw it again this afternoon. Back in February, I loved this production, but found myself craving a bit more from the leads. 2 months later, I can safely say that Annaleigh and Jake gave two of the strongest and most moving performances I've ever seen. There isn't anything I can say about this production that hasn't been said already on this board. The performances, the orchestra, the chromolume, it

Pacific Overtures previews  Apr 22 2017, 06:03:18 PM

Just got back from this production, overall I enjoyed it, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what John Doyle's concept for this production was supposed to be. As others have said, the opening seems to imply that Megan Masako Haley is looking at a museum exhibit and this inspires her to wonder what Japan was once like. This concept is fine in theory, but in practice, Doyle never went anywhere with it. That issue seemed to perforate this entire production, interesting concepts that

Classic Performances You HAVE seen  Apr 21 2017, 12:12:43 PM

Maybe in 5 years I'll be able to brag about having seen Annaleigh Ashford and Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday.

If we're counting proshot videos, I've seem several classic performances. Obviously it's nowhere near the same as it would've been live.

Performances You Wish You Had Seen  Apr 21 2017, 07:49:15 AM

The entire original cast of Follies

Ethel Merman in Gypsy

Angela Lansbury in anything she's done

Patti Lupone in Evita

Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens

Victor Garber in Assassins

Jenna Russell in Dr. Faustus

SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Apr 20 2017, 05:34:42 PM

I literally started crying I'm so happy.

Legally Blonde Musical Opinions  Apr 18 2017, 01:27:00 PM

I'll admit, it's pretty much just a massive guilty pleasure for me. The book is pretty weak and the deviations from the movie are mostly odd/nonsensical (although I do like what they did with Emmett's character). With that said, the score is insanely catchy and certainly one of the stronger pop scores I've heard. By no means is it a perfect show, but coming back to the original cast recording always brightens up my day.  

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You