News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MsEmilia

MsEmilia Profile Photo
Member Name: MsEmilia
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Inappropriate audience laughter  May 18 2018, 11:47:38 AM

The most uncomfortable case of this I ever witnessed was when I saw Cabaret and a lotttt of people laughed at the end of If You Could See Her. It felt...wrong.

Same with the most recent production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses, there was a lot of laughter during the scene where Valmont assaults Cecille. Perhaps it was the result of how awkwardly the scene was staged (I liked the production overall but this scene was done horribly), but people laughed several times and it made me feel jus

Anastasia Contracts?  Jul 6 2017, 06:00:19 PM

"Though I'd imagine Karimloo and Bolton would be ones to maybe leave once their contracts are up."

I'd also put Mary Beth Peil into that group as well - i could see Caroline O'Connor extending, though.

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018  Jun 19 2017, 02:06:21 PM

Lauren Worsham seems to be the most appropriate choice, although I thought those clips of Lisa O'Hare doing it sounded beautiful

Benanti is probably too old at this point, and I don't personally care for Soo's voice, although I'm sure she'd probably act the role marvelously.

What is your favorite Tony Award winning performance of all time?  Jun 15 2017, 07:56:22 PM

Probably a tie between Patti LuPone in Gypsy and Jessica Lange in Long Day's Journey Into Night - I might give the slight edge to Patti since despite that it's been almost 9 years since I saw it (I was 12 at the time), it's still clear as day in my head. 

Little Foxes, Sweat or Indecent?  Jun 15 2017, 02:22:10 PM

Agree with the above - Indecent is definitely the best choice.
(Not to disparage the other two, they're both great, although the quality of Little Foxes greatly depends on which company you see)

Top 5 Musicals?  Jun 14 2017, 03:39:07 PM

1. Cabaret
2-5. (In No Particular Order):
Sweeney Todd
Gypsy
Follies 
Chicago

Honorable Mentions: Nine, Sunset Boulevard, Little Shop Of Horrors

Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 03:20:19 PM

^^^^Exactly.
I think it's pretty obvious that this season has been a lot less diverse than the last one, excluding the Great Comet, maybe. Vogel isn't dissing anyone else, she's just acknowledging the truth that theatre, despite making a lot of great strides, is not always the most open to female writers and directors, but neither is the film industry.

Delta Airlines pulls sponsorship from Public Theater because of Trump-inspired Julius Caesar  Jun 12 2017, 11:37:35 AM

"He does."

Okay if that does happen then yeah it is pretty obvious - I still think it's foolish to pull funding over that. Art is art, and relevance is relevance - this sort of artistic censorship is definitely on the rise, and I fear this will not be the last time something like this happens.

"i think I read they have minorities and women stab him."

Okay that may be a bit unsubtle but that sounds sort of brilliant. 

Delta Airlines pulls sponsorship from Public Theater because of Trump-inspired Julius Caesar  Jun 12 2017, 10:30:44 AM

" It seems like Culpurnia and Caesar have been reimagined as Melanie and Trump https://twitter.com/i/moments/874020095676358658

"

Okay there is a slight visual similarity but it's not that brazen. Unless Caesar suddenly starts saying "yuge" or grabs Calpurinia by her you-know-what, i don't think the similarity to #45 is enough to pull funding.

If anything Delta resembles him a lot more now that they've unfairly defunded an arts program.

Delta Airlines pulls sponsorship from Public Theater because of Trump-inspired Julius Caesar  Jun 12 2017, 02:03:39 AM

This is the most moronic thing I've read in a long time.
Julius Caesar ends with most of the people involved in the assasination dying, miserable or killing themselves. The whole moral of the play seems to be that despite Caesar was a dangerous political figure, assassination was ultimately the wrong way to fix that.
It's pretty obvious Delta has never read the play. 
Also in what way is the production inspired by the current president? I mean how do you work his u

Rank the Tony performances  Jun 12 2017, 01:01:53 AM

1. The Great Comet of 1812 - Most entertaining, most involving and definitely the most actively intruiging  of the night, in terms of making somone want to see the show.

2. War Paint - Easily the best vocals on the broadcast, so thrilling.

3. Dear Evan Hansen - Ben wasn't in top form but it's still an excellent song.

4. Bandstand - I have to admit I've found the music i've heard from Bandstand dull, but this actually interested me; not the best but pr

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD  Jun 11 2017, 11:11:18 PM

Okay the relief I felt when Spacey came out as Underwood instead of The Other One was powerful. 

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD  Jun 11 2017, 09:29:32 PM

Some cut songs really should stay cut - this is cringey.

Is Bette Midler Really A Lock For Best Leading Actress In A Musical?  May 30 2017, 10:25:28 PM

This is all just seems like a desperate attempt by the producers of the Tonys and Hello, Dolly to give themselves more attention and try to "create suspense." Let's face it, if Bette doesn't perform, the Tonys will be a lot less exciting - not to disparage any of the other shows that will be performing, it's just Bette seems like the real "event" performance. This is all just PR horse****, and after the Tonys, we'll all probably feel foolish for being

Overrated Musicals Of The Last Ten Years  May 29 2017, 05:59:22 PM

(So this is going to be unnecessarily long, but)
Come From Away - I can understand why it’s resonating with people, especially considering the political lunacy of the last few months that has left many uncertain and desiring something to make them feel good, I get that, but that doesn’t mean CFA is a a good show with a memorable score - it isn’t.  I just did not get the appeal of this show at all. 

Hamilton - I’m not saying it’s not

Jr. and G2K Versions!  May 26 2017, 04:26:52 AM

I know that the junior version of Into The Woods is basically just the first act of the show, with pretty no real major changes - when i saw it done by some friends a while back, the word "raping" in the Beans rap was changed to "harassing" and there's not to be continued at the end of Ever After, but other than that it's pretty much the complete first act of the show with noting else.
I don't personally agree, but I have quite a few theatre friends who re

Unpopular Opinions  May 24 2017, 04:05:12 PM

- I really liked Daphne Rubin-Vega as Fantne in Les Mis, it's the only time she's ever been good 
- Bernadette Peters was a way better Sally than Victoria Clark - Victoria Clark's voice does absolutely nothing for me.
- The new revival of The Glass Menagerie was excellent, and only got bad reviews because of the unimaginative broadway purists (i know someone already posted this but I agree)
- Sunset Boulevard should have been nominated for Best Revival, no

Why is Glass Menagerie Closing Early?  May 17 2017, 04:41:54 PM

A mixture of bad word of mouth and poor critical reception (that was undeserved in my opinion, i thought it was quite good) and just a general lack of interest, I think. They need to stop reviving shows so close together, there needs to be a reasonable amount of time to allow the most recent production to be less present in people's minds, which is what I think was the kiss of death for this revival - the 2013 revival was barely 4 years before this one and it was pretty much universa

Best Performance of 2016-17  May 3 2017, 06:45:21 PM

Glenn Close - Sunset Boulevard

Janet McTeer - Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Sally Field - The Glass Menagerie 

Eva Noblezeda - Miss Saigon

This Season's Performances You Consider Underrated  Apr 29 2017, 05:22:12 PM

Also add me to the list of people who viewed Michael Xavier's performance as underrated - I honestly think he was my favorite part of the show beyond Glenn.

Also, someone earlier mentioned the revival of Liaisons, and I 100% agree - Birgitte Hjort Sorensen absolutely broke my heart, and Janet McTeer was terrifyingly imposing. The revival as a whole, in my opinion has been unfairly overlooked.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You