News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for theeatah

theeatah Profile Photo
Member Name: theeatah
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Rise & Fall of Little Voice: Bway Next Season
 Sep 19 2015, 04:18:09 PM

Isn't she a little... mature for this role?

STREISAND wants to make GYPSY
 Sep 4 2015, 06:37:37 PM

Streisand should do no more than produce it. Have Mike Leigh direct Imelda Staunton. AnnE can play Louise. And Meryl can cameo as Miss Cratchit.

Adam Lambert turned down Hedwig
 Jun 15 2015, 05:41:15 PM

I'm surprised at the implication that dragging up 8 times a week for a role would be unappealing to him. Doesn't he have his face beat every day for TV/photos/gigs etc.?

Betty Buckley's I'm Still Here
 May 1 2015, 04:37:41 PM

Dolores Gray at the Royal Variet Performance! Backphrasing and all.

Dolores Gray - I'm Still Here (Original Tempo)

Also, Eartha Kitt at the Evening Standard awards.

Eartha Kitt - I'm Still Here

Both women in complete control of the stage and the song.

I'd like Nancy Walker's performance more if the key had been lowered a tad. She sounds strained.

Betty Buckley's performance seems like she was thrown on the stage and told to "not just stand there". It's bizarre, especially as she's such a seasoned concert performer. And she didn't seem to have any struggle to remember the lyrics so why she felt she had move like that and indicate wildly to sell the number is beyond me. Still, I was surprised by how solid her voice remains.

GYPSY 2015 London Cast Recording (Imelda Staunton)
 Apr 5 2015, 11:04:41 PM

Is Louise Gold the Rose understudy?

What Broadway show would you have loved to see Judy Garland in?
 Dec 16 2014, 06:37:26 PM
I think Judy was more of a Petra.
Audra as Aretha?
 Dec 16 2014, 06:36:06 PM
Audra McDonald is too old for the part unless it's principally about the Arista era.

There's an interesting movie/mini-series to be made of the recent RESPECT biography but something tells me that won't happen for at least another 10-15 years.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to enjoy the Aretha we all know and... in whom we have an interest, should check out the comedy/documentary series Got2BReal on youtube.

What Broadway show would you have loved to see Judy Garland in?
 Dec 15 2014, 12:37:29 PM
Hedwig, The Rise and Fall of Little Voice.
Dame Angela Lansbury: Merman really couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. But boy, could she sing
 Dec 9 2014, 07:47:19 PM
Debbie Reynolds is too Bette Davis!
Coulda, Shoulda.... ALMOST did play that role
 Dec 9 2014, 07:31:26 PM
"Judy Garland in the film Gypsy. They were so close to casting her, but it just wasn't meant to be."

I've never read that before. Didn't Roz Russell's husband buy the rights as a movie vehicle for her? I think I've even read that they considered doing it without the songs a la Irma La Douce.

Ann Reinking's 1985 Oscar Performance
 Dec 1 2014, 05:54:45 PM
That's quite a feat to get the lyrics wrong on a pre-recorded vocal.
WOMEN ON THE VERGE coming to the West End...
 Dec 1 2014, 05:50:20 PM
I'm glad they're not doing accents. The truth is, as much as drama schools may tout their wares in terms of accent coaching, it is not industry standard on both sides of the Atlantic for actors to be competent at doing accents. Actors who are good at doing accents are the exception, not the rule.

If accents are deemed necessary, I much prefer when they do a stand-in accent that can be done competently, like Cockney in Les Mis or PIAF.

Jill Haworth - The ORIGINAL Sally Bowles in the musical CABARET
 Dec 1 2014, 05:41:43 PM
I remember reading that something like two weeks after opening Haworth expressed boredom and dismay at having to do keep doing the same thing night after night, which horrified stage veteran Lotte Lenya.

It seems strange considering how long Haworth spent in the show, though perhaps she stayed with the show because of a lack of other job offers.

Comparing the original cast recording, I find Dench and Dennen much more impressive than Haworth and Grey (I think Grey is more lively

Speaking Voice vs. Singing Voice
 Nov 24 2014, 04:48:54 PM
It's quite common with British pop singers - Lisa Stansfield or Lulu, say.
Emma Stone's replacement
 Nov 14 2014, 01:41:25 AM
Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary from Downton Abbey). Her voice, though light, is appropriately low pitched, which isn't the case for most modern day Sallys.

LAUREN BACALL IN
 Sep 25 2014, 12:15:13 PM
Angela Lansbury wasn't considered a "real" singer?
Lesley Ann Warren back to Broadway
 Sep 25 2014, 12:10:14 PM
Surprised she was never a Roxie.
How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
 Sep 25 2014, 12:09:27 PM
It's a good thing there are already lots of other meaty roles for female actors over 40. You go, Craig!
LAUREN BACALL IN
 Sep 22 2014, 08:20:05 PM
There's a video on YT of Bacall doing a monologue from Sweet Bird of Youth at one of those Fundraiser revue/skit things from the late 90s. It's quite bad.

And in response to the post that Bacall never let anyone get the focus/attention on stage - didn't Marilyn Cooper basically own The Grass is Always Greener? Not that she wiped the floor with Bacall, who was mostly playing straight man to her, but Cooper got the most laughs.

RIP Polly Bergen
 Sep 21 2014, 08:01:47 PM
When thinking about who might have done the original GYPSY movie AND been right for the role, I settled on Polly Bergen - though her fame was more TV and not Box Office Movie Star, I suppose. Her persona was one of sophistication but I think she had an earthy quality about her as well, tough and no-nonsense. And what a singing voice she had, almost right up until the end, it seemed.

I was going to post a YT link to her version of "There's No Business Like Show Business", but it seems to

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You