News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for amandawrites

Member Name: amandawrites
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

So, tell us about yourself.
 Jun 21 2018, 11:20:49 AM

I don't post on the boards very often but have been reading them for years, so, hello, everyone!

I'm Amanda, twenty-something Southwestern woman. I grew up on theatre and eventually realized just how badly I wanted to write plays and musicals, so I did. I'm mainly a musical librettist and dramaturg, although I've written a few straight plays that have had readings or been in festivals. Always trying to find ways to tweak what theatre is to find what it can be.

Al

Going from Fan to Friend (Is it possible?)
 Dec 19 2017, 08:22:40 PM

gleek4114 said: "This is just something I thought about recently. Repeat attending is so common these days, and I know actors get to know those fans little by little after so many visits. So I was just curious to know if anyone has gone from a fan of someone to their friend in someway. Also I know all about the fan delusions that come along with this (the fan sees the relationship as something completely different than the performer). Also what are your thoughts on social media playing any role? I feel that social media can extend further communication between performers and their fans, but just because so and so followed you back doesn't mean anything. So yeah, just curious to hear different takes, weather it's just your opinion or if you're speaking from personal experience."

Every person is different, but I think it's certainly possible to develop friendships that first meet as a fan/performer interaction. As others have mentioned, it's probably the most likely among those who pursue a career in theatre and eventually become colleagues with their favorites. I think, among younger performers at least, it's also possible that they become "Internet friends" - not someone you'd invite over for the holidays, but someone whom you have nice conversations with beyond a liked tweet or something. 

On the other hand, there's definitely fans who claim to be "friends" with performers but are more like stalkers, or who can't find the nuance between "friendly" and "friends." 

At the risk of being self-promoting, I actually wrote a little bit about this fan-perfomer relationship, especially as it relates to understudies and to social media, in an article for BWW last week. If you care to see: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Exclusive-At-This-Performance-The-Rise-Of-The-Broadway-Understudy-20171215

Hadestown to receive a live cast album
 Oct 12 2017, 01:44:07 PM

I reviewed the album for BWW, and loved it too! If you missed it, you can find the article here: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Album-Review-HADESTOWN-Journeys-To-A-Lush-Rollicking-Underworld-20171009

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You