News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for OhHiJohnny

Member Name: OhHiJohnny
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
 Mar 1 2024, 11:22:41 PM

Unless Suffs has really done extensive enough work to be the next Hamilton, or Lempicka has a Wicked sized fandom spring forth, this will 100% be the big winner of the season. 

And once the cast album drops, or they perform any of the score on TV, I think this is going to be a juggernaut. 

I say this as a complete cynic, this show won me over.

New Musical, DEAD OUTLAW, from Penna/Yazbek/Moses
 Mar 1 2024, 10:50:02 AM

Caught the second preview of this last night. David Cramer gave a speech saying they might stop, but aside from a tangled mic cord, the show ran incredibly smoothly.

Personally, I really loved it. The show is presented in a very unique narrative form, cutting back and forth between different time lines and juggling dozens of characters amongst its small cast & band. I don’t know what commercial prospects a piece like this can have, but for what it is, I thought it wa

Theatres Offered - But Kindly Declined.
 Jan 10 2024, 03:08:37 PM

Just rattling off a few from memory:

The revival of Sweet Charity was rumored to transfer to the Lyric (then Hilton) with Britney Spears taking over from Applegate.

Young Frankenstein was supposed to take the St James after Producers closed instead of the Hilton (now Lyric).

Dear Evan Hansen was supposed to open in the Belasco and Next to Normal the Longacre, Hedwig was supposed to be at the Golden, and The Prom the Cort (now Jones). 

The current Sweeney reviv

Sondheim on "Oklahoma"
 Jun 3 2023, 01:26:07 PM

Oh my god, I finally get a chance to fully explain my niche reading of a VERY particular moment.

In the Act One smokehouse scene, after Jud fires his gun off, Curly takes the gun and fires it off at a knot hole in the side of the wall. I know this moment is meant to show the two men one upping each other, and Curly’s deft handling of a gun. But why is there a knot hole in the side of the smokehouse? Why do people keep referring to nefarious things happening in/ around the smokeho

Musicals With Jesus as a Character
 Mar 1 2023, 05:53:43 PM

So obviously Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, and The Book of Mormon, but are there any others where Jesus is a named character/ force?

Anyone Seen The Spider Queen?
 Nov 21 2022, 09:13:33 PM

Michael Riedel just talked about them this morning on WOR!

He seemed pretty flattered by the guy playing him. Pic here

Anyone going to see this?

Phantom Closing?
 Sep 18 2022, 01:19:13 PM

To add to the comments on the show recently: 

I saw the show at the end of June. Many, many understudies, including The Phantom, Carlotta, AND an understudy’s first time as Christine (such meta, I know), but the show was easily in the best shape I’d seen it in in years. 

A glorious production in stellar form. It may be a theme park ride, but what a glorious one it is. 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO to Broadway this Fall!
 Mar 1 2022, 12:30:13 PM

JSquared2 said: "Collingswood said: "OhHiii said: "Tag said: "My bet is this will take the Music Box."

It's going into the Golden.
"

I'll say the Booth!

Word is that it's going to re-open the Cort.

"

NOT THE CORT THEATER IN FEBRUARY

Judy Garland (aka Tracie Bennett) just played Rose.
 Feb 22 2022, 09:02:47 AM

I’m still hoping for a one night concert with Christine Pedi as a different impersonation each scene. Start out as Ethel, go through all the Roses,  put Christina Bianco as Louise, like, COME ON. . 

SLAVE PLAY 2021 Previews
 Dec 1 2021, 09:09:49 AM

Saw the production this past weekend. Having seen the OBC, I have to say I enjoyed this reproduction much much more. I don’t know if it’s been the perspective of the last two years, or just me being more familiar with the text, but I found the show much more successful this time around.

One interesting thing of note:

***SPOILERS***
At the end of the show, when Paul Nolan disrobes, where he used to circle the bed fully nude, he now only goes to the

Why Didn't Annaliese Van DerPol become a hit?
 Dec 11 2020, 11:55:48 PM

Not to completely thread-jack, but if you ever wanted to hear her sing a significant amount of Into the Woods, my boyfriend got this Cameo for me and it is... everything (as are all of her Cameos, seriously please book her).

https://www.facebook.com/832933808/posts/10158746951783809/?extid=0

Can Disney Classics make Hits on Broadway
 May 5 2020, 03:00:45 PM
Due to the existing stage properties, I highly doubt we’ll ever see Cinderella or Peter Pan expand past their Kids/ Jr titles.

Of their classic titles, Snow White probably has the most legs if Disney wanted to do another large scale spectacle musical.

The release of Moana Jr makes me think a full scale production isn’t far out of the question (as an educator, this property is just as loved by the kids as Frozen, if not more so).

I hope the National’s Pinocchio gets r

Will popular titles or actors be the saving grace for broadway
 Apr 26 2020, 09:59:44 AM
Maybe this will bring the Hollywood Bowl production of Into the Woods to Broadway? Popular title that hasn’t been seen since the last crisis with a bunch of Broadway A-Listers? And I know Skylar Astin has said they’d wanted to transfer.
Your Top 10 Shows This Decade
 Nov 28 2019, 08:55:35 PM
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Candide (Mary Zimmerman)
One Man, Two Guvnors
Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812
Silence! The Musical
Hand to God
Into the Woods (Fiasco)
Groundhog Day
Hello, Dolly! (Jerry Zaks)
The Inheritance

Honorable Mentions:
Let the Right One In
Matilda
Angels in America
Noises Off
Bartlett Sher Revivals (Golden Boy, King and I, My Fair Lady)
Oklahoma! (Daniel Fish)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You