News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Boredathome

Member Name: Boredathome
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
 Feb 1 2013, 11:55:34 PM
I love this idea! I always thought that the plot was too thin for an entire show. And Cinderella needs a moral besides the obvious mysoginistic one "find a man"
Erin Quill Bizarrely Obsessed With
 Feb 1 2013, 11:37:35 PM
As much as I love the show, I agree. It tried to eek humour out of the Landless' "otherness" it's distasteful to say the least.
'Poor Little Person' from HENRY, SWEET, HENRY
 Dec 6 2012, 08:13:09 AM
yeah....nothing special there.
THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording
 Dec 2 2012, 04:31:15 AM
Is it really going to be two Cds? I hope they do recording everything they can, maybe not all the lovers, but at least a few. And Durdles confession would be a nice addition as well.

I've got a few DRG recordings and while I agree they aren't on part with some of the PS Classics recordings (Doesn't anyone else hate the cardboard sleeves that are open on both ends as much as I do?) I've never through DRG was subpar

Is a white person playing a role
 Dec 2 2012, 04:25:43 AM
"When a black tenor with the vocal and dramatic chops to sing the role emerges, then we'll talk"

That is some seriously f-ed up stuff right there, and that's only a sample of the, misguided, arrogrant, ethnocentric, willfully ignorant stuff I've seen in this thread.

To think that there is simply no minority actor/singer/whatever out there to fill the demands of a role rather than to admit that there is a systemic exclusion of minorities which creates this dearth of racially-ap

ANNIE remake will include some of the classics
 Aug 26 2012, 08:26:21 PM
JV, your points are invalidated by the tired old argument about (insert white actor's name here) playing Coalhouse walker.

Basically what you're saying is that when a black actor plays a black role, that's fine, but a black actor playing a traditionally white role is somehow "artistically" bad, and you're insistence that it's all about the art and nothing about small-mindedness doesn't really fly.

I'm sure you think you're being equitable, because it sounds logical in one se

Aug 26 2012, 12:54:10 PM
But we're talking about a musical. If you're willing suspension of disbelief is so weak that you can't handle a black child playing Annie, then I can't understand how you can handle people singing and dancing either. Get off YOUR high horse and realize that you're being racist. It's you, not the history books. We all know the history books, but this NOT REAL LIFE and isn't trying too hard to be, let's face it. So the bottom line is that you're just being willfully ignorant here. Which makes you
 Aug 25 2012, 07:34:01 PM
Why do think that's funny, Greens, it's not. At all.

Aug 25 2012, 06:16:36 PM
JV92, you're not trying to be colorblind at all. In fact you're doing the exact opposite.
 Aug 25 2012, 03:02:47 PM
Wow, there is some truly offensive stuff being written here. Somehow people think it's ok to say racist things in the name of verisimilitude. "A white billionaire would never have adopted a black child in 1933" - ok, if you say so, Grand Dragon.
Why is NPR streaming Follies for a whole week?
 Nov 25 2011, 07:46:02 PM
If someone wants it bad enough they could have it forever just by recording the stream, but I presume that PSClassics (or someone else) is using a different business model, and a smart one at that. They know that the bulk of their customers will pay for the entire *package* not just the music. That's why PSClassics produces their CDs so well, with large booklets full of great photos and slipcases. Because they look great they also make gifts. I bought two already. I'm sure I'm not the only one w
Ultimate Follies Playlist?
 Nov 25 2011, 07:37:58 PM
Wow. Great discussion guys. Now just for the poops and giggles here's a ridic question. If you were to put the songs from the appendix in the running order of the show as listed so well and completely by lizabombs, where would you put them?
Seth Rudetsky as Man in Chair?
 Nov 25 2011, 01:54:32 AM
Distasteful. Man in Chair is implicitly written (by heteros) as a kind of sad, closeted, self-hating homo stereotype. And there's no reason (except comedic, at the expense of the character) to write him as such. It was cheap and decidedly UNinspired in my view, and when I saw the show I was disappointed in the cheap and artless gay jokes, even if they were asides or in passing. I thought we respected ourselves more. Had a gay man written the book I would feel differently I suppose but as far as
 Nov 25 2011, 01:04:05 AM
Very stereotypical. And unnecessarily so.
 Nov 24 2011, 11:25:50 PM
Personally I find The Man in Chair character repugnant and offensive. I was surprised that GLAAD wasn't all over that.
 Nov 24 2011, 11:25:49 PM
Personally I find The Man in Chair character repugnant and offensive. I was surprised that GLAAD wasn't all over that.
Info on Flaherty/Ahrens'
 Nov 24 2011, 10:34:23 PM
Wow, I actually think this has a ton of potential, and I'm not a big Ahrens/Flaherty fan.

Some people just like to bitch and moan no matter what. And it's always the same people. It's kinda sad.

Ultimate Follies Playlist?
 Nov 24 2011, 07:51:13 PM
So let's say I wanted to make a playlist with every piece from Follies that has been recorded including any incidental music/dialogue (which we have a lot of now thanks to PS Classics) and a full appendix (even more extensive than the Papermill recording.
Anyone want to take a stab at an Ultimate Follies Playlist? Off the top of my head I think the OLC has a few pieces that can't be found on any other recording, such as Country House, Social Dancing, and Make the Most of your Music.

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LA JOLLA
 Nov 24 2011, 07:43:40 PM
I agree that the music already creates that second layer, but today it's not nearly as effective as it was then. I believe the show needs more to be *as* resonant today as it was then. A traditional production will still work, but I don't think it packs as much punch anymore.
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LA JOLLA
 Nov 24 2011, 06:46:06 PM
I think the show only works when conceptualized. Presented in it's "authentic" setting (which in itself is a non-existent claim) the allegory is dulled. Just my opinion.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You