News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for brightasyellow

Member Name: brightasyellow
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What exactly does the term 'pastiche' mean?
 Jun 4 2011, 07:04:49 PM
Okay, so it seems that "pastiche" means to evoke another style. What would NOT be considered pastiche, then, since so many musical theatre songs are based in other genres (rock, opera, etc.)?

Please forgive me if I seem completely naive on this subject.

How to see as many shows as cheaply as possible?
 Jun 4 2011, 06:03:01 AM
I currently reside in LA but am moving to DC. As it's a short(ish) commute to NYC and I have a free place to stay there, I'm considering seeing as many shows as possible. However, I'll be on a pretty tight budget and, while I know certain shows have rush tickets, I want to ensure that I'll be able to see certain shows. How do you find the cheapest way to see as many shows as possible? Also, are there any shows that really require orchestra seats in order to truly appreciate them? I'm really exci
What exactly does the term "pastiche" mean?
 Jun 4 2011, 05:57:07 AM
I've heard and read the word "pastiche" many times about musical theatre songs. I recently heard an interview with James Marino and John Kander about the term and even they seem to be stumped on what it means. What is the difference between pastiche songs and other songs in a musical?

Thanks, all.

Patti LuPone - YOU'RE FIRED!!!!
 Apr 20 2011, 05:44:15 PM
I also just read Patti's memoir and... it was just a little too gossipy for me. I really enjoyed the behind the scenes looks she wrote about, but I read Arthur Laurents' (the most crotchety man alive) memoir and even though he talked about people he didn't like, he wasn't cruel and the book was highly informative.
Little Miss Sunshine - La Jolla Playhouse
 Mar 30 2011, 09:56:35 AM
I saw this last Saturday and really enjoyed it. It has its problems and needs to be tightened up (but what world premiere musical doesn't?) but it has a lot of potential.

I thought the cast was the real highlight, although the understudy for Frank, Andrew Samonsky, was a real let-down. Any scene that featured him was a true energy-suck. Dick Latessa was fabulous as Grandpa and Hunter Foster really embodied the spirit of Richard. I'm a fan of Taylor Trensch and he was fantastic, even th

Full Disclosure: Shows that have made you cry
 Mar 25 2011, 09:23:23 AM
I pretty much cry almost every time I'm at the theater just because I am so passionate about it. But there have been a few shows that I was surprised to find myself crying:

every tongue confess (at Arena Stage)
Blood Knot
Movin' Out

Glenn Beck: The liberal media hates 'Spider-Man'
 Jan 13 2011, 03:56:55 PM
I have to be honest - Beck's praise for this show makes me want to see it even less (if that were possible). People are allowed to voice their opinion, including Beck. But the fact that I've never heard him voice a theater opinion before (despite saying that he's been going to the theater for 30 years) and that he forced political rhetoric on the show makes me doubtful.
Your Year In Theatre - 2010
 Dec 22 2010, 01:35:56 PM
Okay, all of you who see a lot of shows, how the heck do you afford it? I live in LA and I've officially decided that I would be destitute if I lived in NYC.

My list:

Why Torture is Wrong, and the People who Love Them)-play by Christopher Durang @The Blank Theater, LA
New York Animals (play by Steven Sater) @Rogue Machine Theater, LA
[title of show] @Celebration Theater, LA
A Little Night Music Broadway (Peters/Stritch) - Broadway
American Idiot - Broadway
M

Next to Normal and its depiction of bipolar disorder.
 Dec 13 2010, 05:11:51 PM
I'm sorry, but this show is very personal and as someone who HAS bipolar disorder, I'm excited to see it shown in a fairly honest light.
Next to Normal and its depiction of bipolar disorder.
 Dec 13 2010, 05:03:54 PM
I finally saw this in Los Angeles. I was very impressed with how the illness was portrayed (except for ECT - it is MUCH less intense). I was glad that they mentioned at the end *SPOILER*

that she knew her risks going off the meds because if they had sent the message that everyone should go off their meds I would've been highly pissed.

Anyone as horrified at Gwyneth and Lea doing Chicago songs on Glee??
 Nov 23 2010, 09:50:16 AM
As a former gymnast, the horrifying part was the dual cartwheels. *shiver*
Stage Doors now vs. 10 years ago
 Oct 7 2010, 10:21:21 PM
I remember going to the stage door for Tommy back in... 1993? I don't remember a barricade - we just were waiting for them to come out. I remember this because Melissa Joan Hart's little sister was Tommy at age 4 and Melissa came to pick her up and that was cool
Mrs. Warren's Profession Starts Previews Tonight
 Sep 25 2010, 01:52:09 PM
Saw this last night. I had, thanks to a poster on this board, read the play beforehand. I thought both Cherry Jones and Sally Hawkins did an amazing job. After reading the play, their characterizations were perfect. As for the changing accents, Jones' change in accent is intentional. In the play, the directions call for her to revert back to her lower-class accent.

I found Adam Driver's performance pretty bad. Frank is supposed to be a cad and yet for the entire first two acts, he gave

Question about a complete list of Broadway shows?
 Sep 22 2010, 08:19:32 PM
Is there such a thing as a master list of all the shows that have been on Broadway? There are ones for movies...
What is the most 'looked down upon' Broadway show?
 Sep 22 2010, 04:56:17 PM
HistoryBoy - Are you a theater scholar? Because I honestly want to know what, academically, makes a good or bad show. There are standards in most genres, but I don't know what they are here.

I also think there's a difference between a good and bad musical and a good and bad performance of it. I feel like the performance itself is easier to critique (sometimes) - this person acted the part spectacularly, etc.

Sep 22 2010, 03:18:15 PM
I gotta agree with Joe. What makes a good or bad book? There are scholars who will say Hemingway was one of the best writers ever and there are others who will tear him down. Yes, there are standards, but I don't know what they are in musical theater and I WOULD like to know how to properly critique a show in a scholarly manner.
 Sep 22 2010, 02:55:28 PM
While Wicked may have flaws musically, I find there is a lot to dissect, female friendships, what constitutes "good" and "bad" and who makes those distinctions, angry mobs, etc. I like to come out of theater THINKING and analyzing (and having been entertained). This is probably why I disliked American Idiot. It tried very hard to be intellectual and abstract but managed to do neither very well.

I love Wicked, Spring Awakening and Rent. I've seen them at very important times in my live

What is the most "looked down upon" Broadway show?
 Sep 22 2010, 01:19:00 PM
I've noticed that there are certain shows that many theater people dislike and put down, like Spring Awakening, Rent and Wicked. I was just curious as to why?
Question about getting a Playbill from a current show
 Sep 22 2010, 01:17:46 PM
Good idea! Get my Playbill and get rid of litter at the same time!
Question about getting a Playbill from a current show
 Sep 22 2010, 01:13:05 PM
When I was last in NYC, I saw American Idiot but I promptly lost my Playbill (I was exhausted and frazzled and wasn't all that upset because the show was kind of a disappointment). Anyway, I would like a Playbill because I collect them from the shows I've seen. Can I just stop by the box office and ask for one?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You