News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for VeraCharles3

VeraCharles3 Profile Photo
Member Name: VeraCharles3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Passionate Witch  Aug 6 2020, 12:00:38 PM

Hello all. Looking for some help please?

Does anyone know anything about a musical version of I Married a Witch called The Passionate Witch?

All I can find is it was to star Phyllis Newman and Bert Lahr around 1965 - I have been searching the web but can't find anything.

Any info would be appreciated smiley

Antigone starring Julliette Binoche  Apr 28 2015, 06:26:05 AM

Hope it is ok to post this on the main board.

This production of Sophocles's Antigone is currently playing at the Barbican in London.

BBC4 aired a live showing of it on Sunday in the UK. It's available to watch for the next 28 days on i-player - I think you need Hola to atch it outside the UK. (Thanks HorseTears)

Thought someone may be interested in seeing it.

Very stripped back production, plan to watch it myself later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05sj2j6/juliette-binoche-antigone-at-the-barbican#group=p02nm8jb

Enjoy

x

Most glorious voices ever heard  Mar 18 2015, 08:08:37 AM
Musicals - Bernadette Peters, Doretta Morrow, Pamela Myers, Linda Eder

Opera - Margaret Price, Jessye Norman

Pop (for want of a better word) - Kate Bush, Damien Rice

When is it appropriate to start applauding for a song?  Jan 26 2015, 08:52:37 AM
PalJoey - Fantastic! I want one of those bumper stickers.
Coulda, Shoulda.... ALMOST did play that role  Dec 10 2014, 04:39:03 AM
I'm sure it has been stated before that Bernadette screen tested for Mrs Lovett and was down to the last 2 or 3 possibles.

Bernadette was also to star in the London "Passion" but didn't want to commit to a run over there at the time.

Not theatre but Babs was offered the role of the mother in The Exorcist - now that is something I can't imagine at all.

Change One Letter: Musicals Edition  Nov 6 2014, 04:05:06 AM
All very clever ideas but I have to say there are a couple I would love to see on stage

CarlosAlberto's The Kong and I

MarkBearSF's Funky Girl

and as for AustinRyan's suggestion of King Dong, I may not have seen the musical but I am sure I have seen a film with that title!!! Lol

Change One Letter: Musicals Edition  Nov 5 2014, 11:24:02 AM
Fun gay in the Dark with George
Operetta recording recommendations?  Sep 18 2014, 04:36:29 AM
Hi there

I would recommend two CDs

Joan Sutherland's "Love Live Forever" and Julia Migenes' "Vienna"

Lots of operetta arias and hopefully they will give you an idea of some operetta CDs to purchase.

Joan soaring away "Come boys, Lets all be gay, boys" from The Student Prince sure cheers me up with each listen.

Enjoy whatever you end up purchasing.

OFFICIAL: Elaine Stritch has passed  Jul 18 2014, 03:16:14 AM
RIP Elaine.

A Broadway Legend.

Never saw her live - my loss. Will watch an episode of Two's Company tonight with a glass of fizz or vodka. Here's to Elaine.

x

Songs That Have Moved You To Tears  Mar 11 2014, 07:55:32 AM
Thank you Sally for starting this thread. I think most of my choices have been mentioned but here goes

Stay With Me - Into the Woods (Bernadette's vocal is exceptional on this)
We Do Not Belong Together - SITPWG (Bernadette at her most emotional)
Make Them Hear You - Ragtime
Not While I'm Around - Sweeney Todd
And This is My beloved - Kismet
One Heart, One Hand - West Side Story

Born Free - I know it's not a musical but I always get emotional hearing that

Joan Fontaine/Peter O'Toole - RIP  Dec 17 2013, 03:10:43 AM
The Other One - Thank you. I guess I will start with Rebecca. I have seen it a few times but I am still unsure of it. That's why I am interested in seeing the clip Bestie, spoke of, with other actresses auditioning.

followspot - Thank you too. To my shame, there are a few Joan Fontaine films I need to see, The Constant Nymph and From This Day Forward. Thanks again.

Bestie - I like Rebecca but don't appreciate it as much as I should maybe. I will watch the auditions and then th

Goodbye Mr. Chips  Dec 17 2013, 03:01:30 AM
Mr Nowak - I posted a similar thread earlier this year I think. It's good to know there is another fan of the movie. I love it, it's one of, possibly the last big old fashioned movie musical. It has some great tunes and some forgettable ones too, to be honest.

I am jealous of both you and Carlos for having the 3 Disc Special Edition Soundtrack

Joan Fontaine/Peter O'Toole - RIP  Dec 16 2013, 08:52:50 AM
Spoiler!!!

The Other One and Bestie - I couldn't agree more. Peter O'Toole says very little, if anything, but the scene is heartbreaking. I always rewind - I am giving away my age - to listen to Petula sing "You and I" just to wallow a bit more. Actually, knowing what is to come - when they toast his (Mr Chips) promotion with champagne and he says that's all he could find and he hopes it's alright, Petula says "That's alright then" and I fill up at that scene too - it's not even s

Joan Fontaine/Peter O'Toole - RIP  Dec 16 2013, 04:28:47 AM
RIP to both legends. What a body of work they have both left behind.

Maybe not his best work, but I am going to watch Goodbye Mr Chips tonight.

Bestie, sorry, is the audition for Rebecca on "the tube?" as it were? I will have a look, was not aware of its existence.

Gosh, it is so sad when the old guard leaves us. So few left now but we have their films to enjoy and that's special.

Happiest Songs?  Nov 22 2013, 09:05:43 AM
Thanks for thread Glinda. Here are a few of mine (love some of the other suggestions too)

Rhythm of Life - Sweet Charity
It's a Fine Life & Oom Pah Pah - Oliver
Not on your Nellie - Darling of the Day
Side by Side by Side/What Would We Do Without You - Company

How did Cynthia Nixon do Hurlyburly and The Real Thing at the same time?  Nov 21 2013, 10:35:36 AM
Thanks again AC126748, I will have a search online later.

Enjoy your meeting

Mattbrain - Thanks also, I would have loved to have seen the McKellen/Dench Macbeth.

How did Cynthia Nixon do Hurlyburly and The Real Thing at the same time?  Nov 21 2013, 10:14:46 AM
Thank you AC126748, I didn't realise it had played New York

How did Cynthia Nixon do Hurlyburly and The Real Thing at the same time?  Nov 21 2013, 04:36:36 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before and I don't think the play has played Broadway yet but the Alan Ayckbourn play(s) "House and Garden" are two plays which play in two different theatres at the same time with the cast appearing in both. One play is set in the House and the other play in the Garden. It was performed at the National theatre in the Westend - the Olivier Theatre and Lyttelton Theatre.

So obviously depending on what play you go and see, you see a play set in either

Did Anyone See  Nov 14 2013, 07:07:58 AM
Whizzer - thanks for the report. Glad you enjoyed it and great Bernadette was in good voice and "f*ck me heels"

Melissa25 - thank you for the songlist.

I so wish I had just decided to come to New York to see this, on Bernadette's name alone. I just assumed it was a concert type event and really couldn't justify the trip but now, hearing all these reports, I regret I won't see the show.

Apologies if this is a silly question, but does anyone think this may transfer or p

Did Anyone See  Nov 13 2013, 01:25:33 PM
"Did wicked_beast4 never make it home?"

That really made me laugh.

wicked_beast4 - thank you for the full report. The show sounds very exciting, so wish I could afford a trip to New York to see this.

Whizzer - hope you have a great time tonight and look forward to reading your thoughts.

I too hope this gets recorded but I really don't see it happening.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You