News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MsBroadwayFan

Member Name: MsBroadwayFan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Top 20 Favorite Musical Songs
 Aug 30 2010, 03:10:00 PM
I Have Dreamed
We Kiss in a Shadow
My Lord & Master
Song on the Sand
Mama A Rainbow (by Broadway kids, preferably)
Move On
Children Will Listen
All I Ask of You
If Ever I Would Leave You
It Might as Well Be Spring
You Have to Be Carefully Taught
Some Enchanted Evening
This is the Moment
Maybe (Annie)
At the Ballet
How do you solve a problem like Maria?
I Must Have Done Something Good
I Won't Grow Up
Never Never Land
Mari

The King and I
 Aug 26 2010, 08:29:59 PM
Dottie, I didn't make myself clear enough...he was VERY nice both when I met him during the stage door after the performance, as well as when I contacted him in recent years...but something left me feeling as though he took it all (his B'wy debut, the R&H production, the music, etc.) more lightly (or shall we say, less reverently) than I would have thought he would have. Maybe it was just the impersonality of email...or maybe I'm just such a rabid fan that I think all involved should have loved that production as much as I did! Don't want to harm anyone's rep, so I'm going to edit my original comment and delete that story.
The King and I
 Aug 26 2010, 06:08:21 PM
@Dottie...
even though I only saw it twice, I still remember it so vividly - the overture; the glittering costumes; the gorgeous cast in their very brief and beautiful costumes, the singing/dancing/music...ah, it was a very sensual, moving and beautiful production. Do you have the Playbill by any chance? Would you know the name of the girl who was the replacement for Tuptim?

The King and I
 Aug 26 2010, 01:17:18 PM
@agypsy4 - I feel the same as you do about the overture and score in general. The "My Lord and Master" number was over the top emotional in the '96 production with that replacement Tuptim (gotta figure out her name!!!) ..ah, if only it could have been preserved for eternity on DVD.

Douglas Hodge - LA CAGE AUX FOLLES
 Aug 26 2010, 01:07:48 PM
@justafan2 -

I loved Gene Barry's rendition of "Song on the Sand" from the orig. soundtrack, but I never saw the original show and there's nothing on Youtube. I wonder if there is a copy anywhere on DVD? There's something so real about his voice and emotion in that song....love it!!!!

Douglas Hodge - LA CAGE AUX FOLLES
 Aug 26 2010, 11:44:03 AM
I agree - Douglas Hodge was amazing when I saw him a few weeks ago! Definitely want to see him again. I heard he and Kelsey are switching roles at some point...is that true and if so, when?

Also, does anyone know if Douglas does the stage door? He didn't the matinee day I saw him, but Kelsey did, and the Cagelles and Veanne Cox came out at some point but didn't sign or anything. Kelsey signed and posed and chatted and was a total sweetheart. The next day the news broke that his wife was divorcing him!

The King and I
 Aug 26 2010, 11:16:40 AM
I'm glad this thread was posted as I've also been thinking a lot about The King & I, especially after seeing the similarly outstanding South Pacific last May.

@MusicalDudePeter: My question to you is, how did they screw up the book/score in the '96 revival on Broadway? I'm just a fan, not a pro so I don't understand the technical/musical issues very well, but I was totally blown away by that production, especially Jose Llana and the replacement Tuptim (?), who cried real tears the two

Good bye South Pacific and Thank You
 Aug 22 2010, 11:41:32 PM
To CockeyedOptimist:
Thanks again, lucky you!

I fell in love with the show when I saw it over the summer with Laura and Paulo. Didn't think anything could top Laura but Kelli was similarly wonderful and born to play the role in my opinion. Planned to go again several times but, alas, my theater budget was blown by La Cage and Addams Family (as well as Night Music, and a few other shows I saw earlier in the summer)...in hindsight I wish I skipped Addams in favor of one more time s

Good bye South Pacific and Thank You
 Aug 22 2010, 11:19:08 PM
Thank you all for reporting back on the final performance. How fortunate you are to have met the cast and others. I'm just wondering what the mood was at stage door and during curtain calls....did the cast especially the leads, etc. seem sad that the run has ended or was it a more celebratory mood?
Live from the Lincoln Center Discussion Thread
 Aug 22 2010, 10:31:06 PM
I didn't like Samonsky when I saw him on stage over the summer, but he is growing on me with every repeat of the PBS broadcast, and I watched it about five times. I agree with the person who saw the transformation of his character from cocky to caring.

As to Kelli being too bland, I disagree. She and Paolo have the most palpable chemistry onstage that I can recall in nearly 40 years of theatergoing. Her delicate voice is a wonderful complement to his big baritone. I can't get enou

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You