News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Idiot

Idiot Profile Photo
Member Name: Idiot
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Screenwriter / Director / Book & Lyrics Guy

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A Chorus Line movie  Nov 3 2023, 10:27:33 PM

As an act of self hatred I suppose, I recently rewatched this film.  It was even worse than I remembered - truly wretched - but not bad enough to become good again. 

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’  Oct 30 2023, 11:20:28 PM

Welp, I guess Andrew McCarthy and Meg Ryan have aged out, so....

Santino Fontana and Judy Kuhn in I can get it for you wholesale  Oct 21 2023, 12:52:09 AM

I saw this tonight and was delighted by it in unexpected ways.  As others have said, there are a few performances well worth seeing and the show itself is actually quite surprising.  I had no idea what the show was about and very much appreciate when the form allows itself to go deeper into the dark side of human nature.  Sometimes it's refreshing when shows don't insist on a typical happy ending.  

Keep Me In Your Thoughts  Jun 28 2023, 08:05:04 PM

Hey Roman.  I've been dealing with dizziness that can't be precisely diagnosed, but we think it's related to barometric pressure changes triggering a migraine type response.  A heat wave comes with a massive pressure change.  I want you to have this info in case they can't pinpoint it.  Of note: I'm fine and my life is barely impaired by the problem 

DANCIN’ To Close May 14, 2023  May 3 2023, 01:17:31 AM

When I walked by the theatre and saw their "You'll totally want to schtupp our dancers!" tag line I lost any goodwill I might have had for this revival.  

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 3 2023, 12:55:06 AM

Bad Cinderella should have been nominated for sound design and Sweeney most certainly should not have been. 

Why Produce a Bad Play?  Mar 31 2023, 01:42:07 AM

The original CARRIE was awful.  (I saw it.)  The smaller versions were much much better - which didn't surprise me because I thought the bones were there when I saw the original production.  People respond to different things and there's usually a fan base for even the most universally panned shows.  The desire to 'do it justice' is strong with such people I think. 

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Reviews  Mar 27 2023, 12:51:09 AM

RippedMan said: The choreography sucks. 

The choreography was a weak spot for me as well.  Sweeney Awakening?  No.  It was distracting. 

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Mar 24 2023, 12:19:05 AM

From NYT: "Finally, a Cinderella for streetwalkers and gym rats!"

That at least gave me a chuckle.

The show is well resourced but terrible, which frustrates me to no end.  I liked some of the design elements and supporting characters and thought it was expertly mic'd - but the story just didn't work and the main plot line meandered and failed to connect.  

Josh Groban out sick tonight  Mar 17 2023, 12:53:18 AM

He was quite good.  Kind of made it Sexy Todd, which is hard to wrap your mind around - but he more than pulled it off.  

The SWEENEY TODD Film That Could Have Been  Mar 6 2023, 11:52:24 PM

I don't know that it would matter much who you cast as long as the director thought that toning down the humor was a good idea.  Sweeney is my favorite show and I loathe what Burton did to it.  Oh, Frank Oz.  Where were you when we needed you?

Phillips and Alabado to lead SUNDAY IN THE PARK at Pasadena Playhouse  Feb 27 2023, 06:30:17 PM

I saw it last Thursday and it's a solid production.  The emotion of the first act is conveyed with grace and confidence.  The second act is actually more entertaining here than in the original version we all know from the video of it - but it will always be a lopsided show because that's just what it is.  Though I couldn't stop comparing the cast to the original cast, this production works on its own terms.  If you're in SoCal, go.  

AIN'T NO MO to close December 18  Dec 11 2022, 11:00:42 AM

Lola Getz2 said: 

Or is it just an opportunity for Will to try to save some face and show what a great guy he really is?

Will has a race-centric film opening on Apple+ this weekend.  I'd speculate that the gesture is motivated by solidarity, image rehab and promotional value for his project.  I don't know if he and his wife are also friends with one of the ANM producers - but that would explain it. 

Slave Play Returning To August Wilson Theatre  Sep 26 2021, 01:55:32 PM

Hmm. It's slated for a production in Los Angeles but now I'm torn....

Controversial musicals  Nov 10 2015, 01:42:25 AM

In today's climate MARY POPPINS would be controversial.

tony awards rant  Jun 8 2015, 06:44:55 PM

I agree with those dissenting about the selection from FUN HOME.  It was a very weak choice.  If you can only do a slice from that show it was the wrong slice. 

CARRIE THE MUSICAL to premiere in Los Angeles  Mar 23 2015, 02:27:10 AM
Seeing this on Thursday night. Really looking forward to it!
Pacific Overtures  Feb 2 2015, 02:46:54 AM
The only truth in an opinion, Long After Eight, is that it is yours.
Anyone else have a problem with the ending of Into the woods? Its pretty morally disgusting  Jan 5 2015, 12:02:23 PM
The OP's commentary stipulates that revenge killing is NOT morally disgusting. I disagree. And yes, the show is explicitly asking questions about relativism, moral and otherwise.
Sad news from Barbara Barrie  Sep 25 2014, 05:13:33 PM
I love this woman -- such a gifted and unique performer. Sad to hear the news, but what a life!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You