News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for operadiva1979

operadiva1979 Profile Photo
Member Name: operadiva1979
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: A little math for ya: PHANTOM = CRAPTASTIC
 Jan 21 2005, 05:09:33 PM
AMEN to that Eponine Thernardier

The only part in the film I liked is when she goes thru the mirror and Gerry looks back at her and he is smokin hot....which is, coincidentally, NOT what the phantom is supposed to be.

wrong on SOOOO many levels. It' s like watching my high school ten years ago doing the concert version.

re: Age of Christines on Broadway?
 Jan 21 2005, 05:03:00 PM
20s-30s is what's listed in the equity breakdown. Apparently, I looked too young, and I'm 25. You should be ok if you're on the younger looking side until around 35, I'd say.
Any1 know where to get non-cheesy karaoke CDs?
 Jan 13 2005, 12:52:28 PM
Hey all

OK, I have like 50 karaoke CDs and they are all really REALLY bad, I'm most interested in the following:

showboat
hello dolly
carousel
my fair lady
west side story
sound of music
phantom of the opera (I have like 5 already but they are all cheesy)

I did find a REALLY good Jekyll & Hyde...if any 1 wants to know about it email me

shadylady1979@hotmail.com

re: Emmy Rossum: dubbed?
 Jan 12 2005, 06:07:36 PM
I am also a singer and I thought it sounded like someone different on the title song at the end....if you listen to her on "think of me" she gets really pinched on "unchanging" (we never said our love was evergreen or as unchanging as the sea), and "my" (imagine me, trying to hard to put you from my mind), and I think both of those are only like an E or E flat. I think from the high A onward, that's someone else's voice. But that's just me speculating.
re: Rejection stories
 Jan 12 2005, 12:50:19 PM
I busted my butt to get my equity card, and about a year after, I auditioned for Phantom in New York and I sang "Glitter and Be Gay".

I'm not sure who exactly was auditioning me that day, but they said it was "wonderful" and was I reachable at my contact info on my headshot/resume. The woman that was in the room sitting next to who I assume was the casting director then asked me if I lived in New York, and I did, and who was I studying with at the moment. So, I told her my voice te

re: AEA Auditions...
 Jan 10 2005, 01:40:05 PM
"why dish out the money for an agent? Pay someone for something you can do on your own? "

Please tell me you know that you don't pay an agent up front.....they get paid when you work. Don't ever use an agent you have to pay up front

Still at #9 on the list...
 Jan 10 2005, 01:29:07 PM
Thank you Justice...your review did the film justice. :)

Finally someone else who thought it was bad.

re: PHANTOM: the movie
 Jan 7 2005, 01:03:17 PM
I didn't like it...the theatrical production has made me cry, the movie didn't... I just didn't believe any of it, from the acting to the singing.
re: POTO: reverse Oedipal overtones?
 Jan 7 2005, 01:01:24 PM
Totally! christine sort of mistakes the phantom for her father, or at least father-figure. it's weird and unsettling.
re: Anyone know what the actual cadenza at the end of 'think of me' is?
 Jan 6 2005, 05:56:04 PM
I will look for that version on ebay maybe...I'm just curious as to what other singers were doing. AndI know a cadenza varies singer to singer, however in some broadway shows, producers use ONE cadenza. It appears the character in the show is improvising, but the actress is limited to something set. that's all I was saying :)
 Jan 6 2005, 01:09:45 PM
hey, I know what cadenzas are!!!! (not meant to sound b*tchy), ...I was just wondering if there was a precedent or standard cadenza they were using now, or if they put limitations on it, etc.
Thanks all again!

re: A Broadway Phantom better than Hugh Panaro? Come on, is that possible?
 Jan 6 2005, 01:07:55 PM
Howard Mcgillin and Cris Groendaal are both amazing. I haven't seen Hugh....actually when I saw it, he was playing Raoul. Weird, huh?
re: Bad for Broadway...
 Jan 6 2005, 01:05:01 PM
I don't mind so much when "names" are in shows, as long as they can hold their own...some of the worst performances I ever saw was Jamie Lynn Sigler in Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella, Toni Braxton in Beauty and the Beast (where the entire score was lowered so she could sing it), Melanie Griffith in Chicago. I did think antonio banderas was great in nine
re: are most of you....
 Jan 6 2005, 01:01:40 PM
I have a BA in music and theater

I am a singer, actress, pianist, guitarist, bassist. My icon thingie is when I played Cunegonde in Candide...what a great role....
I am in L.A. now doing/trying to do films

Jan 6 2005, 12:58:49 PM
thanks so much for all the info...I sort of figured it would probably be open to interpretation. Thanks a lot everyone!
re: The Renaissance Of The Movie Musical
 Jan 6 2005, 12:50:16 PM
Well, it's good for one thing...to rekindle american general interest in the theater, and keep all of us in jobs....but unless they start casting people who can actually SING, it sort of makes performers look bad.
re: What's good about Andrew Lloyd Webber?
 Jan 5 2005, 06:24:07 PM
Jackson 992 I agree and disagree about your compare/contrast with Sondheim and ALW

First of all I appreciate Sondheim musically, but I don't enjoy it as much as ALW's work.

Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals all have wonderful songs and themes we take home from the theater.

Sondheim, is more complex musically, utlizes more devices such as dissonance and counterpoint, which makes it harder to listen to, but easier to appreciate for it's effort.

I have acted in bo

Anyone know what the actual cadenza at the end of "think of me" is?
 Jan 5 2005, 06:13:35 PM
I know it's not the version in the sheet music (on the OLCR), and it's not what Emmy Rossum sings in the movie. Anyone know what the actual cadenza is? Is it on another cast recording (e.g. canadian cast)?? thanks!
re: Top 10 Theatre People of All Time
 Jan 5 2005, 03:06:49 PM
Richard Rogers
Oscar Hammerstein
Michael Crawford
Jonathan Larson
Mary Martin
Stephen Sondheim
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Leonard Bernstein
Jerome Robbins
Bob Fosse

re: Who Would You Meet?
 Jan 5 2005, 03:00:38 PM
easy. Michael Crawford
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You