News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jim coleman

Member Name: jim coleman
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a conductor with over 30 years in the business. I moved back to California in 2000. Still travel for work. I conducted the SWEENEY TODD dvd with Angela Lansbury, worked for many years at the Paper Mill Playhouse, 3 Broadway shows, and many opera companies around the country.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: 'Chicago' (Movie vs Show)
 Jul 11 2005, 11:58:12 AM
I love all three versions, because I love the show itself, and believe that there is more than one right way to do everything. It is called interpretation. I saw the original on opening night, and let me tell you, it was brilliant. Way ahead of it's time, though. It was scenically and technically thrilling, the costumes were spectacular, and Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera at the top of their form. and FOSSE. This was his brainchild, and to see his take on the material, and his brilliant choreograph
re: In defense of Harvey...
 Jul 8 2005, 12:08:44 PM
I totally agree with you, Bobby. It was not written for a "singer". It was written for a great actor. Look at the actors who have played it with any success;
Zero Mostel
Paul Lipson
Herschel Bernardi
Luther Adler
Topol

I have seen it cast 2 times with a singer; Robert Merrill, and Jan Peerce, both opera singers, not actors, and it was not good.
Granted, if there was a great singer and a great actor it would be ideal, but that rarely happens, an

re: Stephanie J Block issues
 Jul 6 2005, 03:20:54 AM
I don't think Stephanie Block sounds anything like Liza. She has more voice than Liza ever had. I always feel that Liza is on the edge of not making the notes. What Liza has is amazing energy on stage. Incredible energy! and a fabulous performer. but Stephanie Block has an incredible voice. I think she is one of the finest Broadway singers we have today. I love her!
re: Flop Musicals -- Why the fascination?
 Jul 3 2005, 02:47:11 PM
I think it is interesting to try to understand why some shows have not been hits. Theatre folk are always trying to reinvent a lot of those shows that failed, for one reason or another, so there must be aspects of those shows that work on some level. Look at MACK AND MABEL, for instance. I, for one, loved the show originally. It has a great score, great characters, but the problem has always been the book and not knowing how the score fits into that very dark story. It was way ahead of its time
re: Lauren Kennedy
 Jun 30 2005, 03:03:59 AM
Lauren is a great talent and a wonderful gal. I did NINE with her at the Paper Mill Playhouse and she played Carla the role oriinated on Broadway by Anita Morris and in the revival by Jane Krakowski. Lauren was brilliant and sexier than her predecessors. I am so happy for her success.
re: Actors Fund Concert 2005 is........
 Jun 28 2005, 02:01:23 PM
I loved the show originally. Madeline Kahn was let go and the show made Judy Kaye a Broadway star. A great score, a show-biz plot, beautiful scenery. It is funny, sophisticated, complex musically, a spoof of the operetta style done very well. I, for one, think it is a great choice!
re: HONK!
 Jun 27 2005, 02:23:11 PM
HONK is a lovely show with a quiet message. The music is good and the characters are really well written. It is a much better show that THE LION KING, in my opinion. I have a very good friend who runs the Skylight Opera Theatre in Milwaukee, and last season they did it and it was a huge hit! Broadway may be too jaded for something this gentle, and they would probably over produce it to where the message gets buried in sets and special effects. Trust the material. It is excellent!
re: Can Reese Witherspoon sing???
 Jun 24 2005, 03:42:46 PM
I think that Kristen Chenowith made in the neighborhood of $10,000 a week in WICKED.
re: BOMB-O-KINGS
 Jun 24 2005, 11:20:47 AM
i have a friend who is a stage manager with the show, and he says the article is the truth! I am seeing the show tonight. I know that Reidel can be ruthless, but this time he very well may be telling the truth.
re: Which is the Cast Recording you're never tired of ?
 Jun 22 2005, 06:36:04 PM
RAGTIME
RAGS
AND THE WORLD GOES ROUND
TITANIC
THE PRODUCERS

re: Buckley SWEENEY scrapped!
 Jun 16 2005, 04:15:02 PM
She is just not right for the role. She has no humor, whatsoever, and she is a horror to work with. I was at the Paper Mill at the time she was doing GYPSY and she was unbelievably nasty to everyone. And she was out quite a bit at the beginning of the run.
She is a very talented person, but that does not give her the right to treat people the way she does. I spent 3 years of my life working with Angela Lansbury, and she would never think of treating anybody in that manner.

Show CD's You Are Embarassed That You Like!!
 Jun 16 2005, 03:28:26 AM
Don't we all have shows that we know are not very good but we love to listen to anyway? I do!! They are:
THE BOY FROM OZ
MAMA MIA!
SUNSET BOULEVARD
I HAD A BALL
A TIME FOR SINGING
JANE EYRE
MY FAVORITE YEAR

re: BEST COLLEGES BFA MUSICAL THEATER
 Jun 15 2005, 03:05:38 PM
University of Arizona at Tucson--very good--I did some Master Classes there this year and it is very good. Marsha Bagwell is on the faculty there, and she is magnificent. A brillian performer in her own right, and a great teacher.
re: The Lion King Cheetah Company cast?
 Jun 14 2005, 02:31:26 AM
I recently saw the Cheetah Company in Sacramento and it SUCKED! The show is very overated. Schlock!! Costumes are great, though. Lousy music, choreography, and the story is paper-thin. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is a much better show. We need to rescue Broadway from Disney! They should stick to the movies!
re: Patti Lupone as Mrs. Lovett...I am still upset
 Jun 11 2005, 08:21:33 PM
I have done the show with many good Mrs. Lovett's, so it is not fair to say that Angela Lansbury is the only one! Karen Morrow was brilliant in the role, and have done it with her twice. Marcia Mitzman, and Myrna Paris were also excellent, as was Joyce Castle. I just feel that Patti is way out of her league with this role. Anyway, it is just my opinion, and I have just as much right to it as you have to yours.
re: Patti Lupone as Mrs. Lovett...I am still upset
 Jun 11 2005, 02:18:22 AM
Patti is good in many things--I conducted her in ANYTHING GOES--but Mrs. Lovett is not her cup of tea. She screams the whole role and there is no subtlety in her character. And it is true that Stephen Sondheim asked her to sing the written notes in GOD THAT'S GOOD. I thought she was OK in PASSION, though.
re: Reba's 'SOUTH Almost PATHETIC'
 Jun 10 2005, 01:23:23 PM
The whole point of the racism plot line is that Nellie doesn't know that Emile had a Polynesian wife and they had two mixed race children. If Emile is of another race, then she knows right off and would never fall in love with him. It doesn't make sense that she would accept Emile and not accept his children. And anothe thing, why does everyone have to be so mean-sprited to people who have a different opinion? That is what makes life interesting. Let people have their own views on these subje
re: 'Shenendoah'
 Jun 7 2005, 02:28:50 AM
I have loved this show since I saw the first preview on Broadway in 1974. Beautiful score, and the show is lovely. It is based on the movie of the same name that starred James Stewart. I think this is one of the few instances that a show based on a movie was better than the movie. Am I making sense? Love the show!
re: Sara at the tony's
 Jun 6 2005, 03:10:01 PM
She was taste-free! And undeserving of the award, in my opinion
re: I have long wondered...how many bww'ers are actually currently (or have
 Jun 3 2005, 06:24:56 PM
I have conducted 3 shows on Broadway;
the last 3 months of the original Broadway run of SWEENEY TODD
the 1983 MAME revival
the last year of the ANYTHING GOES revival at the Vivian Beaumont

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You