News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheatreDork3

TheatreDork3 Profile Photo
Member Name: TheatreDork3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Work-Life Balance in the Theater
 Apr 8 2014, 08:16:23 AM
Thanks for taking the time to read this one. I have a student currently conducting research on work-life balance in the theater. She has a number of connections on Broadway, but we're trying to post as widely as possible via social media. If you work in the theater (not just in New York), please complete the short survey.

Thanks,

Jason

------

Hello, my name is Michelle Silecchia. I am conducting a research project for my Organizational Communication Seminar at SUNY New Paltz under the supervision of my professor Jason Wrench. The purpose of this study is to research how high or low degrees of organizational bureaucratization within a theatre organization affect work-life balance and job satisfaction. This is a HREB approved study. This online survey is completely anonymous, and will only take about 10 minutes to complete. I would greatly appreciate your participation. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at msilecchia3@aol.com.

Survey:
https://newpaltz.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d5PYLIZ61NBNctn

LYSISTRATA JONES -- 1st Preview TOMORROW!
 Dec 5 2011, 03:59:14 PM
I agree with some of the sentiments others have had on here. Is this show a miracle of modern theater - of course not. But if that's where you going to see this musical then you're setting yourself up for failure. I saw two shows on Saturday: Follies for the amazing artistic experience and Lysistrata Jones for the pure joy of it. The show is quirky and fun! Are all of the songs immediate hits that I'll be singing for decades to come, probably not. Some are definitely fun and get the audience goi
Spiderman Preview Thread!
 May 10 2011, 10:23:08 AM
Hello Spidey-Fanatics:

I can't believe the new version of Spiderman is finally upon us. I'm actually surprised by the sheer number of seats that are still available for Thursday night's performance. I've admittedly been contemplating whether or not to attend (just to see the changes), but then there's the other part of me that's already seen it twice and hesitant to shell out another $250-300 to see it again (especially if it still sucks).

So, why are people going Thursday nig

Should 'Stage Dooring' Be Required?
 Mar 31 2011, 05:04:46 PM
OK, I recently did the whole stage door thing for the first time. A friend was in from out of town and really wanted to get the autographs after the show, so I went along for the ride.

Actually, I kind of felt bad for the stars because the line only had like 4 people waiting. Admittedly, it was a cold night, but still only 4 people wanted to wait for an autograph. With that said, I can say that the two leads of the show were unbelievably generous to the four of us standing there and ta

Funniest show right now - TBOM vs. Priscilla
 Mar 27 2011, 02:04:55 PM
Wow - apparently a number of us are on the same page here. I saw both shows last Saturday. I saw Priscilla first and then TBOM. Actually, I really enjoyed Priscilla more. I had a gay old time at Priscilla. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed TBOM, but really was expecting more than I got.

Admittedly, as a tall person in the first row of the Mez, I felt like I had been squished into a sardine can, so my lack of knee room (let along where the hell were my legs supposed to go). I just was

A Message to the Producers of the RENT, Cast Hopefuls, and Fans
 Mar 19 2011, 07:42:19 AM
RENT, for all its failings, is what made me love Broadway. I remember reading about RENT in the New York Times in the mid-90s when I was a college student. As someone who grew up in a city that was recently named the second most conservative city in the country, hearing the lyrics of RENT was ground breaking. Heck, before RENT I had been raised primarily on Contemporary Christian Music, so the show opened my eyes in a completely brand new way.

As for the topic at hand, I would love to

Help! Priscilla Running Time?
 Mar 16 2011, 12:10:13 PM
Hello All:

I'm seeing Priscilla on Saturday at 2 and Book of Mormon at 8. I just found out I could squeeze in Miss Abigal at 5, but not sure of the running time of Priscilla.

Does anyone know what the running time is?

Thanks,

TD

Musicals Taymor Should Direct Next?
 Mar 3 2011, 12:04:48 PM
Ohhh 2012: The Musical - She could bring the house down every night - literally!!!
Musicals Taymor Should Direct Next?
 Mar 1 2011, 01:41:12 PM
This is officially my favorite board of the day. I just keep giggling.

As for my idea, She should direct a play ... Moose Murders anyone?

will my parents hate american idiot?
 Mar 1 2011, 01:33:35 PM
The first time I saw the show I sat next to a man in his 60s who had seen the show 6 times. I guess it ultimately depends on your parents.
The Spidey Project
 Feb 22 2011, 02:24:22 PM
Not sure if anyone has started a thread on this one or not, but Justin Moran and the People's Improv Theater are in the process of creating a new Spiderman Musical to debut prior to the next (probably delayed) opening of Spiderman: Turn off the Dark. The catch, they have no money and only 30 days to pull it all off. You can read about this endeavor at the ArtsBeat Blog on the Times website (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/the-spidey-project/). Every part of the project from concept to costume is all being done by volunteers.

So, what do you think the new show should do that the existing show just can't seem to get right?

I'll start. I think they opening scene should be of an evil villainess, we'll call "Arachnia" being thrown off a bridge. From there, we can proceed as if she never existed - no explanation necessary.

TD

Donmar Announces Spider-Man Revival
 Feb 9 2011, 02:40:44 PM
I just heard that Daniel Radcliffe will be wearing a specially designed costume created my Issac Mizrahi that is half Spiderman and half Arachne. July Taymor and her kazoo solo will also portray all of the Geek Chorus using puppets she will birth especially for this production.

TD

RIALTO CHATTER: Major SPIDER-MAN Reviews Coming Tomorrow!
 Feb 8 2011, 11:13:39 AM
OK, this is just horrible, but my favorite review line is officially from Scott Brown:

"The orchestra seating exists mainly to give us jeopardy (and a target) for the many flying people hurled overhead. Nervous? Don't worry, you're allowed to drink in the theater"

TD

Feb 7 2011, 10:30:22 AM
First, What changed in the ending. You now have a real showdown between Spiderman and Arachne. While we find out it's still a dream, the section just seems more thought-out and put together. For example, there is a decent battle sequence between Spiderman and Arachne. Admittedly, the ending of the sequence still seems odd and needs some more clarification during the show. Once Peter saves Mary Jane from Arachne and Arachne ascends to the after life, there's a fun sequence of Reeve Carney flying
If The World Should End - Spidey IS relevant
 Feb 6 2011, 08:47:09 PM
OK - the Spidey and Prince of Egypt picture made me giggle!!! Loved It!!!

So did Anderson Cooper in Drag!

Lost in the Stars: Thoughts?
 Feb 6 2011, 08:44:39 PM
I agree - this was a production that only Encores could do. I actually enjoyed the show. By the end almost everyone in my section was crying. The friend I went with wasn't as thrilled. He found the whole ordeal very boring (but he also loved Spiderman - had to get a Spidey jab in here).

Overall, my biggest problem with the production was that the lead was still a little too-on book for his dialogue sequences. I get it, it's Encores, you're allowed scripts, but at least try to know some

Feb 6 2011, 08:32:30 PM
First, I admit that I have been a huge Spiderman critic. Actually, I joined BroadwayWorld.com as a result of seeing the show on December 8th and was quite critical of the show and have been ever since that time.

With that out of the way, I saw the show again Friday (2/4/11) and the show is a lot better. The actors are more comfortable on stage. They aren't pausing for laugh lines (even when a line should have been chopped two months ago). As a whole, the cast (and artistic team) have

Michael Riedel on Why He Hates Spider-Man
 Feb 3 2011, 02:00:58 PM
I do find it interesting that Riedel is interviewed by Musto. Let's face it, neither of them are huge fans of the show, so it's almost like a vortex of Spidey-Negativity.

TD

Spider-man Now on Sale through 5/15...
 Feb 3 2011, 01:57:57 PM
Maybe they need to make sure they have the financial support in the bank to keep the show going before they release a block of tickets. Again, just guessing.

TD

PRISCILLA Marquee
 Feb 1 2011, 07:35:09 PM
I have to admit that I agree with TheatreDiva on the whole skinny girl comment. I think it's great that the image is of three gorgeous, curvacious divas!! I wish we'd see more images of real people in advertising. That's one of the amazing advantages of live theater over movies, we often see real people on a stage and not girls or boys who clearly need to eat a sandwich!

TD

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You