News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jasonvanemburgh

Member Name: jasonvanemburgh
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: ELEGIES in Philly
 Apr 8 2005, 12:52:33 PM
Went to see Elegies and met William Finn last Sunday. Also met Michael Rupert, who was more personable than Finn. I asked him who did his headshots in NY and he graciously gave me name, etc. As for the show...I liked, not loved it. I kept waiting for a "moment" that never came. When the Earth Stopped turning was about as close as it got. I think my problem with the show was that all the songs were out of context. There was no character development that made me care about the people or the situat
re: Something's Afoot
 Mar 23 2005, 01:34:11 PM
I did a regional production of it a few years back, playing Nigel. Cute show. I had my only "lost it on stage" moment during the run. The doctor answered the old pfashioned phone, which was rigged to spray poisong gas, and he said heloooo, and the talcum powder went directly into his mouth and then he died. But he kept coughing out the poweder for like 2 minutes after his death. I had to turn upstage, I was crying so hard. Thanks for reminding me of that fun memory!
re: Why I won't be interested in attending the SWEENEY TODD revival
 Mar 23 2005, 01:09:58 PM
the concept recieved great reviews in London. Ill trust them.
re: Equity Actors
 Feb 23 2005, 12:43:14 AM
There's nothing wrong with being non or union. Its a choice. If you want to be a lifelong professional actor, you join the unions. If you want to dabble, you work a steady job and do theatre as a hobby. I guarantee you, that if those twenty somethings on those non-equity tours want a career after them, they will use their experience and join the union. That's why those tours aren't comprised of 30-40 yo actors. By that time they are either in Equity and working as actors, or they are raising thr
 Feb 21 2005, 01:11:17 PM
My Three Sons...lol....All my Sons....I said I could act, not spell!
 Feb 21 2005, 01:08:44 PM
Non equity tours rock???...lol. Yeah, I suppose Rent rocks. You probably dont need to be Equity to sing music that you can hear in ant rock club in town. Thats the problem with the younger theatre audience. They think the world of theatre is comprised of Rent, Wicked, and a little Phantom mixed in. Why dont we see the non-equity tours of Sondheim. Or better yet, Hedda Gabler or My Three Sons being performed by a bunch of 20'something non-equity actors. You CAN see that, its called community thea
 Feb 21 2005, 12:57:21 AM
I really cant understand why ANYONE would argue that STAGE actors make too much money. That is RIDICULOUS. For example, the pinnacle is Broadway,and WHERE is Broadway ? In NYC..home of the $1300/month studio apt..the $5 loaf of bread...etc. That is the top minimum..after that it drastically goes downhil. I didnt get into this business for the money, but money is necessary to support the artist, his living, his training, his photographs, his resumes,his food, etc. Most salaries in regional Equity
 Feb 21 2005, 12:57:04 AM
I really cant understand why ANYONE would argue that STAGE actors make too much money. That is RIDICULOUS. For example, the pinnacle is Broadway,and WHERE is Broadway ? In NYC..home of the $1300/month studio apt..the $5 loaf of bread...etc. That is the top minimum..after that it drastically goes downhil. I didnt get into this business for the money, but money is necessary to support the artist, his living, his training, his photographs, his resumes,his food, etc. Most salaries in regional Equity
 Feb 19 2005, 04:13:05 PM
well, speaking as an actor who likes his guaranteed salaries and working conditions, Equity is OK in my book. True, there are more non-equity jobs. There are also more nursing assistant jobs (you know, the ones who clean out the bed pans) than surgeons. Id rather work less jobs in a year and have them be Equity, than work a bunch of inferior non-equity jobs. Granted there are some good non-equity tours I've seen recently, but they are far and between. If you are working in Equity productions the
andrew Djang
 Feb 19 2005, 01:19:17 AM
Anybody know the whereabouts of this actor. I made friends with him during the first National Tour of Miss Saigon, and wondering what he is up to.
 Feb 19 2005, 01:11:30 AM
Equity protects performers the way, say the players unions protect baseball players. Regional theatres are contracted on tiers, which are decided by the size of the house. In other words, the more the producers make off a show, the more they are obligated to pay the actors, which is fair. The baseball players salaries are so high because those players sell the tickets and in turn the team sells the broadcasts for revenue. The players salaries are in ratio to what the owners make. There are thous
re: 'Biz-Savvy' Vocal Instructors?
 Feb 19 2005, 12:50:21 AM
There's a gentleman in NY by the name of Paul Harman. He teaches a 6 week audition course for Musical Theatre. He was in the original casts of Les Miz, Chess, Merrily revival at the York, and a few others. He has numerous students on Broadway. His rate is $350 for the 6 weeks I think/one night a week. His class size is small 6 or 8 I think. He usually has a large ad in Backstage. Good luck. He seems to know the business very well, as I have spoken with him a few times.
re: Underrated Performers
 Feb 15 2005, 12:34:23 AM
Me, Im damned underrated....lol

Feb 15 2005, 12:26:57 AM
a union card doesnt make you a great performer. Ive seen some pretty crappy auditions from union actors, and amazing things from non-union. Its just a card. Remember the actor who joins Equity was non-equity yesterday! Same perfoemer however. Union actor doesnt always mean working actor either! SO many young actors rush into the unions without a resume/experience to back them up. Then they are screwed, because they cant do anything. Cant get cast in union shows, and cant work non-union to gain e
re: Auditioning for Les Mis
 Feb 15 2005, 12:07:34 AM
I dont know what production you are auditioning for, but the current Broadway tour, believe it or not, wants to you act/sing rather than just sing. Just belting 16 bars wont do it. Find something with personality with acting chops. Jason Robert Brown music is difficult to pick and play for a pianist, unless were talking a Broadway caliber audition. A nice baritone number that I use that has an acting base along with some power is Her Face from Carnival. The problem with doing Saigon or Weber, is
WIlliam Finn/Infinite Joy
 Feb 13 2005, 01:12:04 PM
Im looking for a few songs from the recording for a cabaret I'm doing. ANybody know whats available from that show. Specifically looking for the Republican song, and the song cut from A New Brain, Anywhere. Thanks a bunch
re: Audition Songs
 Feb 10 2005, 11:00:45 AM
never sing a song associated with another artist. If you sing Philosophy, they will immediately compare to you to KC and thats all they will hear. Unless you can do it better than her, Id stay away from that one. I would, again recommend, NOTHING after 2000, unless its somewhat obscure. The object of an audition is to show oriniginality,creativity,risk taking,personality..find the song that meets those requirements. Im speaking more for a professional level. Also a big mistake newbies make is si
re: JCS question
 Feb 10 2005, 10:48:12 AM
I played Annas a few years ago in summer stock. Show and role was a blast. We did a modern version with the priests in Gothic makeup. Fun. Playing a bad guy can be quite fulfilling. Part is very rangy and high, but could be sung octave down, if necessary. As for the guy who said Caiphas and Annas were "boring", probably has dillusions of grandeur who has never worked professionally and only salivates over a lead, because that would give him/her the most attention, and/or played one of those role
re: monologues for auditions
 Feb 9 2005, 01:16:09 PM
there are few good books at Borders that are specifically for that age group. I bought a book there a few years ago, and have landed many jobs from their selections. Also look for books by Glen Alterman. If you are near NYC he coaches auditions and will even write a monlogue for you. A word of advice, dont do a monologue from a movie for a stage audition.
re: Audition Songs
 Feb 9 2005, 01:10:22 PM
ugh...no....secret garden..i audited over 300 auditions last year in three days and I heard that song OVER and OVER. Dont do a song thats done to death, The auditors will shut you off. Even if you sing it good! Find something that fits your voice but not from a current show...millie is current. Go to a large city library and look through their music department, or ask a vocal coach for advice. good luck!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You