News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Evsever

Member Name: Evsever
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
 Apr 23 2018, 09:22:14 AM

The 1970s costumes were a nice touch.  

Lack of LGBT Protagonistse
 Apr 19 2018, 12:09:02 AM

BroadwayRox3588 said: "If all you want is validation for your claim, then this board is not the place to present said claim."

I'm not asking for validation, but it seems very disturbing that some people here don't seem to wanna push or encourage Broadway to include more diversity and be more willing to make a change. Instead, they just shrug and say "welp, that's showbiz! so deal with it!". It's this kind of uncaring attitude that there

Apr 19 2018, 12:02:06 AM

haterobics said: "If you have a limited knowledge of the subject you are discussing, and come to a place where people have more knowledge, and then dismiss those plays because you don't know them... it sort of seems like we're just here to validate your theory, which has a lot of flaws."

I asked for thoughts, not a list of plays and musicals that completely misses the point that I'm making. Yes, there are shows with gay characters, but that's

Apr 18 2018, 11:22:15 PM

Yes, sabrelady. I've dismissed them. Did I hurt your feelings? Is that why you decided to be condescending towards me? Is that how you behave in front of people, or is it only online?

Apr 18 2018, 10:56:48 PM

sabrelady, why are you so snarky and rude. Seriously, what is your problem? 

Apr 18 2018, 10:43:52 PM

Impossible2 - Most of them don't have gay PROTAGONISTS.

sabrelady - I've never even heard of most of them. 

QueenAlice - So a gay protagonist equals losing millions? Did Fun Home or Hedwig lose millions?

Apr 18 2018, 09:32:44 PM

QueenAlice said: "Broadway is commercial theatre. Meaning it is produced with goal of making money. Thus, shows that get produced are usually those that reflect the tastes and demographic of mainstream audiences. I would say there are actually proportionately a large number of gay characters on Broadway in relationship to other commercial forms of entertainment."

It sounds like Broadway is just playing it safe, keeping it mostly straight and white to appeal to a

Apr 18 2018, 06:34:47 PM

BroadwayRox3588 said: "A solution: Pick up a pen & paper, and start writing a musical with an LGBT protagonist."

I'm flattered that you think I have the time and the talent to write a musical, and you think I have connections in show business to make it happen, but in actuality, that's not something that I have. I don't think telling people "well, write your own" is gonna fix the root of the problem. Even if I had Sondheim'

Lack of LGBT Protagonists
 Apr 18 2018, 04:54:43 PM

SeanD2 said: "I'm saying that the representation on Broadway in regards to sexual orientation and gender identity isn't out of whack with the population as a whole. I'm all for more representation, and think that's a worthy goal. But the current level of representation is not a horrific slight to the LGBT community that you seem to feel it is. Plenty of minority groups have less representation on Broadway than the LGBT community does."

LGBT people

Apr 18 2018, 04:24:31 PM

SeanD2 said: "LGBT Americans make up roughly 3.4% of the population. There are 25 musicals currently on Broadway. Mathematically only 0.85 shows should feature an LGBT protagonist to accurately reflect the makeup of the country."

Actually, there's no clear percentage of the LGBT population since it's difficult and tricky to detect someone's sexual orientation. Besides, are you saying that minority groups should have less options and less representatio

Apr 18 2018, 02:32:48 PM

This is my very first post, so here it goes....

This is something that has been on my mind for a while. There’s a severe lack of LGBT protagonists on Broadway, which I’m sure can be shocking to some since it's musical theatre, but this is just something I’ve taken notice. I’m aware that there are a few gay characters in shows like Mean Girls or Come From Away, but they’re secondary or minor characters. Even in Kinky Boots

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You