News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Between 7th and 8th

Member Name: Between 7th and 8th
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Patti LuPone in HOH * UPDATE: It’s Patti LaBelle. Not Patti LuPone.  Jul 29 2018, 12:41:18 AM
Excuse my illiteracy.
The person in the original post should be Patti LaBelle, NOT LuPone.

Do we think she will play the Oracle, Pythio?

Patti LuPone in HOH * UPDATE: It’s Patti LaBelle. Not Patti LuPone.  Jul 29 2018, 12:41:18 AM
Excuse my illiteracy.
The person in the original post should be Patti LaBelle, NOT LuPone.

Do we think she will play the Oracle, Pythio?

Patti LuPone in HOH *UPDATE: It’s Patti LaBelle. NOT LuPone!  Jul 28 2018, 06:55:11 PM

Someone mentioned that Patti LaBelle participated in a reading of HEAD OVER HEELS as the Oracle, Pythio.

Do you think she’d do the part on Broadway?

EDIT: Patti LaBelle, NOT LuPone. 

ZERO DARK THIRTY the Musical?  Jul 28 2018, 12:06:50 AM

I was at Ripley-Grier rehearsing my one man show about my severe struggle with chronic pneumonia (I will post more once I find the proper, cheap venue.) and in the studio next to me it said ZERO DARK 30 - Presentation.... 

If my hearing still serves me (Debatable...), I heard Christine Ebersole sing an aria and Mandy Patinkin sang a song in Arabic. 

Does anyone know more about this project? NYFM? Fringe? Cherry Lane Theatre?

NY Times Journalist's  Jul 23 2018, 05:14:05 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: “Um... what? I’m not talking about her weight, I’m talking about her costume; the design and fit of which she has no control over.If Collins-Hughes wanted to make a comment about costumes, she should have done that without drawing attention to one actress’s size in relation to her castmates’."

I’m not sure what quolbinau’s rather rude post was about. I understood what you intended ColorTheHours048.
<

NY Times Journalist's "Body Shaming" in 'Smokey Joe's Cafe' Revew  Jul 23 2018, 04:32:40 PM

newintown said: "I wish you the best of luck in finding that kind of discourse here..."

I think the discussion has been pretty good so far. Would love to hear your thoughts! 

Personally, I believe an apology on the critic's end would be an easy way out. I see nothing wrong with Collins-Hughes defending her thoughts and intentions. If she did word it differently... would there be any uproar? Are the words themselves the issue? Or, is it

NY Times Journalist's "Body Shaming" in 'Smokey Joe's Cafe' Revew  Jul 23 2018, 03:35:41 PM

JSquared2 said: "If you see nothing wrong with whatLaura Collins-Hughes wrote, then one would assume that you are either Ms. Collins-Hughes or her (size zero) BFF.

I can assure I am neither. I'm also not a person who is not willing to listen to other's perspectives. I'd truly like to discuss what you find about the criticism appalling.

Not being snarky, genuinely looking to discuss. I can admit I am wrong. 

NY Times Journalist's "Body Shaming" in 'Smokey Joe's Cafe' Review  Jul 23 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Last evening marked the opening night of the off-Broadway revival of Smokey Joe's Cafe. As always, the New York Times published their review of the piece, which I have attached to this post. The following paragraph has stirred up some controversy, especially on the star's Twitter account:

Ms. Umphress, by the way, is bigger than the other women onstage, and the costume designer, Alejo Vietti, doesn’t seem to have known how to work with that, dressing her in an unnecessarily unflattering way. He does better with the skimpy, yet not overly revealing, pink fringe outfit Emma Degerstedt wears, and jiggles in, for the leering number “Teach Me How to Shimmy.”

Ms. Umphress responded to this criticism, which isn't directed at her, with the following tweet: Her Response. As a summary, the actress is appalled that Laura Collins-Hughes, the assigned NYTimes critic, "body shamed" her for her weight, while praising a "fit" actress. After all, "It's 2018" and we shouldn't knock others for being big and we should celebrate women's diversity. The actress goes on to call the critic's writing "ugly" and unnecessary. 

The actress completely acknowledges that the paragraph's central criticism is not aimed at her, but she still feels as though she's the sacrificial "fat" girl in the show. 

To be quick and upfront, I do not see anything wrong with the criticism. She is not criticizing the actress for her weight. She is criticizing the designer for not knowing how to dress heavier women (her criticism, not mine.) It confuses me even more that Ms. Umphress acknowledges this, but still feels appalled and angry at the comment. Was the critic not supposed to acknowledge her weight when that is a factor of her criticism? Is it an act of "body shaming" to acknowledge one is heavier than another? That to me is just a fact. I myself am heavier than most of my friends. It's just a fact. In order to celebrate diversity, we must acknowledge each other's differences. Therefore, calling that acknowledgement "body shaming" is perplexing to me. If anything, isn't the critic calling for better designs for the "sacrificial 'fat' lamb"? 

Also, no where in the article does the critic negatively review Ms. Umphress, while praising the "size 0" actress Emma Degerstedt. She actually writes a lovely notice about Ms. Umphress, which no one will acknowledge since it lives in the shadow of a criticism that wasn't even directed at her.

Of course, the response across the industry is attack, attack, attack. I truly don't understand how anyone can read the entire review and tell me that Ms. Umphress is being attacked, negatively reviewed, and "body shamed" for her performance in the musical. Curious to hear other's opinions. 

HEAD OVER HEELS Previews  Jul 6 2018, 12:21:56 PM

I was there last night and had a great time!

It's not a perfect show, but the music, choreography and the cast make up for it. I also thought most of the costumes were lovely (save for those snake costumes!) and the sets were fine. It was nice to see old-fashioned painted work onstage again. I'd rate this one with a B+.

The book is hit or miss, but it had good aim. Many of the jokes landed and the crowd seemed to eat it up last night! There is a scene in which Pamela (pl

Peace for Mary Frances  Jun 3 2018, 09:21:52 AM

My god. Now I’ve seen many New Group productions, most which leave me mixed to negative. (Their plays are often terrible. Their musicals fair much better.) However, this one is by far the worst production of theirs I have seen. It’s one of the worst plays I’ve seen all around. Very curious what The New Group saw in this play and its playwright, who is still a student studying playwrighting. (This must be very exciting for her, but I also feel bad because... what a first impr

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You