News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Armie3

Member Name: Armie3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Are Playbills environmentally friendly?  Aug 12 2019, 08:52:27 AM

All that pulp paper, night after night, show after show. Are they sustainable? Are they necessary?

I know about the union rules, but shouldn't the planet take precedence?

Why are matinees less respected?  Aug 6 2019, 09:42:04 AM

Nothing.

Why do you ask?

Why are matinees less respected?  Aug 6 2019, 08:09:02 AM

Well, what prompted this thread is Kinky Boots coming on my earphones and then remembering how disappointed I was to miss Billy Porter on a Sunday matinee, followed by Popular then remembering how disappointed I was to miss Kristin Chenoweth at a Wednesday matinee. Also I watched a documentary on Gwen Verdon where is said that she would often cut one of the tougher numbers for matinees - after one patron complained she posted them the 43 cents, saying "this is what you missed"...or

Why are matinees less respected?  Aug 6 2019, 07:11:33 AM

Why do performers not give the same level of dedication to the afternoon shows that they do for evening ones? How many times have you gone to a show only to discover the featured star was not going on?

People have paid for the tickets, at high prices, but yet it is far more likely that performers will be out "sick" for afternoon shows? I get that eight shows a week is demanding and an extremely rigorous schedule, but why is the matinee the one that bears the brunt?

Kanye West at The Cher Show  Dec 4 2018, 07:14:15 AM

I guess they were invited (or invited themselves?), because Kim is a longtime Cher fan. They are both Armenian, so she's always been an idol to Kim. She should've left Kanye at home, though. Still, the publicity can't hurt, right?

Stagedoor  Nov 27 2018, 10:39:31 AM

Armie3 said: "Taking pictures of somebody on the street without permission is just as much of an intrusion, I would think, probably even more so than somebody who approaches and asks."

HogansHero said : Uh, no, it's not. Not when it is a public figure, and not when it is not exploited for commercial gain. That's just bizarre, Armie.

How so? To use your restaurant analogy from Post #8 of this thread - if you hang around after

Trigger Warnings Come to the Stage  Nov 19 2018, 10:21:59 AM

The people who seem annoyed with this are the same people who hate "P.C. culture"  and "safe spaces" and see this as another example of how today's young people are entitled and spoiled and all that other bull****.

If you could go back to one performance...  Nov 19 2018, 08:01:27 AM

Possibly the time Liza filled in during the original Chicago.

Vagina Monologues Outdated/Exclusionary?  Nov 19 2018, 06:46:20 AM

I wouldn't have thought so, but I don't want to have a knee-jerk reaction to this, so...is this fair?Please don't confuse this with trolling. I am as progressive as you can get.

YPSILANTI, MI - Eastern Michigan University's Women's Resource Center will no longer host productions of "The Vagina Monologues," noting that the play's version of feminism excludes some women.  

The WRC announced its decision in an email, which came after the center evaluated responses from a survey. Survey respondents opposing the production consistently indicated they were concerned that the play centers on cisgender women, that the play's version of feminism excludes some women, including trans women, and that overall, "The Vagina Monologue" lacks diversity and inclusion.

The survey was launched as a result of conversations with current students, as well as feedback from a WRC workshop titled "Not all women have vaginas," during the 2017-18 academic year.

According to the WRC, both brought up conflicting ideas and concerns about the effectiveness and relevance of "The Vagina Monologues," an episodic play written by activist Eve Ensler in 1994, offering a series of first-person narratives in which women speak about their vaginas.

"This created a need to ask the question: Do we still need 'The Vagina Monologues?' And, are 'The Vagina Monologues' still relevant to next generation feminists?" the email from the WRC says.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2018/11/emu_group_ends_the_vagina_mono.html

Stagedoor  Nov 13 2018, 11:24:17 AM

Taking pictures of somebody on the street without permission is just as much of an intrusion, I would think, probably even more so than somebody who approaches and asks. 

Stagedoor  Nov 13 2018, 10:09:17 AM

Do you make any distinction at all between unruly mobs at a teen musical, and for example, 4-5 actual fans at an Albee play?

Stagedoor  Nov 12 2018, 11:03:29 AM

Wow, HogansHero, I think you are being just a touch harsh. Not all stage-doorers are odious and pathetic. I no longer stage door, as it's unseemly after a certain age..I think maybe after mid-20s you should have grown out of it, but before then I think it's an innocent enough pursuit. I treasure some of the photos I have of me with my idols. At all times, I was extremely respectful and more importantly appreciative - I always was aware that I was imposing, and asking for their valuabl

AMERICAN UTOPIA- Broadway?  Oct 22 2018, 10:23:09 AM

Haterobics, I wasn't speaking only to you, but I guess what I should have said is there is no need to add a narrative arc - it's suitable in its current format...wouldn't you say? I read the Guardian article, it seems like David is concentrating on the tour right now and has barely considered the prospect of a Broadway show.

AMERICAN UTOPIA- Broadway?  Oct 22 2018, 07:36:16 AM

I don't think the album is being turned into a musical...his current touring show is ready for Broadway as is. It takes in his current stuff and all the way back to Talking Heads. Read this Forbes article for more info.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimryan1/2018/06/03/american-utopia-tour-david-byrne-the-talking-heads-chicago-auditorium-theatre/#148996c63adf

"On night one of three in Chicago, "American Utopia" began with Byrne on stage sitting alone in a chair, behind a desk, holding in his hand a brain. The show started with the final song from his latest album, "Here" ...As the show begins, a wall of lights rises up alongside each side of the stage and behind it, running from the floor up to the top of the stage, giving the ironic visual impression of almost trapping the performers inside a box. Over the course of those first three songs, additional vocalists and musicians begin making their way on to the stage. The number of performers swelled to eight during "Lazy" and a dozen during "I Zimbra"...In a live music environment where technology has enabled the performer to cut many a corner, Byrne was having none of it. "Everything you hear is coming from this stage, being played by these brilliant musicians," he said Friday night on stage in Chicago."

AMERICAN UTOPIA- Broadway?  Oct 22 2018, 06:00:26 AM

I'm not sure if the OP is for or against American Utopia coming to Broadway.

Anyway...........

It is already a unique concert/ stage show, and has been touring around the world to rave reviews- it would make a great addition to Broadway, I'm all for it.

Fired! 2ST (2005)  Oct 15 2018, 07:59:57 AM

It must have been a series, because they are not the names and stories I am thinking of - but thank you all the same, Lise3, you have have been very helpful.

Fired! 2ST (2005)  Oct 9 2018, 10:28:03 AM

Hi, long shot, but does anybody remember the show Fired! at Second Stage. It was on winter/spring 2005 (I think...), and consisted of various celebrities telling stories about being fired from their jobs.

Fisher Stevens, Caroline Rhea, Taye Diggs John Pankow and more, but I guess I'm most interested in Rue McClanahan.

Can anybody remember what story she told, or any of the others? Who else took part?

Weirdly specific questions, I know, but I have my reason

Etiquette of seat-taking...?  Oct 8 2018, 10:35:49 AM

What if the person only gave up the arm rest by standing to let you in?

Another finer point...

How do you know if the person occupying the aisle seat is going to stand or not? Approach and smile...I guess if they don't stand up right away, chances are they're not going to? 

Etiquette of seat-taking...?  Oct 8 2018, 09:43:54 AM

Thanks all. 

Who has claim over the shared arm-rest? First come, first served?

Etiquette of seat-taking...?  Oct 8 2018, 08:06:39 AM

People are awful, this we know, but I have some questions...

Are patrons expected to stand to let others take their seat? Or will a slight shifting of the legs suffice?

If you have an aisle seat, should you wait until the row fills up before sitting down?

If you are in a group, should you wait until you are all together to take your seats at the same time?

If you have not checked your coat, is it permissible to hang it on the back of your chair?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You