News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Sally Burns

Member Name: Sally Burns
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Touring Miss Saigon In San Francisco  Oct 13 2018, 10:46:46 PM

Sorry, I was referring to the original production not having a Mormon (not the subsequent revival/tour).

PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original  Oct 13 2018, 10:14:17 AM

ImAProphet said: "When does the slap happen? Having never seen the tour I'm trying to think of a moment where it would be appropriate..."

When Raoul decides that Christine should agree to star in Don Juan Triumphant to give them the opportunity to capture the Phantom.

Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman, should they have a show on broadway?  Oct 13 2018, 07:00:19 AM

Esther said: "He said the same thing re: VW at Symphony Space last week at a book reading/interview they had in conjunction to their joint memoir being published,"

The Curran in SF had free tickets when they were in town for their book tour last weekend and I had to miss it because I was out of town. So jealous you got to see them!

PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original  Oct 13 2018, 06:43:09 AM

I saw the Phantom tour in SF last month too and I was disappointed as well. I understand that changes have to be made for tours, but it felt like some of the choices they made had nothing to do with that. For example, Christine's dress in Masquerade was just a pink and purple satin corset with a skirt. It's similar to what's used in the current Broadway version but without any rhinestones, stars, or other adornment. So many of the other costumes in the production are blinged out t

Touring Miss Saigon In San Francisco  Oct 13 2018, 06:16:26 AM

Fosse76 said: "My quibble with this revival remains to be the the many lyric changes, most of which are pedestrian, and the horrendous new song for Ellen. I actually thought the physical production was pretty good. Definitely grittier than its predecessor design from the non-Equity tour fromthe beginning of this century."

I didn't like all of the changes to the lyrics either. The last time I saw this show was in 1998 during the second national tour but I still no

Touring Miss Saigon In San Francisco  Oct 13 2018, 06:06:53 AM

antonijan said: "Was there a Mormon missionary in the previous productions?"

I don't think so, but if there was, it certainly wasn't a Book of Mormon-ish type Mormon who said, "HELLO!"

HAMILTON National Tourn  Aug 23 2018, 04:35:43 AM

angoradebs said: "Does anybody know for sure where the lottery seats are for Cleveland? Are they in the front row? I'm driving up Saturday to see the Sunday matinee, and I'm thinking of trying the lottery for the Saturday evening performance.I know chances of winning are super super super super slim, but I'm not even going to bother if they are, like, last row of balcony or something."

I don't know where the lottery seats in Cleveland are, but in SF t

HAMILTON National Tourn  Aug 16 2018, 06:51:56 AM

Bwayfan292 said:
"Is there going to be a third tour? Or is there already one? On equity auditions they are calling for ensemble parts for the Peggy tour"

hamiltonstradition said:
The Puerto Rico company.

OTHER DATES
First Rehearsal in NYC: November 12, 2018
First Rehearsal Puerto Rico: o/a December 26, 2018
First Performance in Puerto Rico: January 8, 2019
"

Call_me_jorge said:
"Is that going to be it’s own production or just a stop on a tour? The initial press release I read it as the latter"

dmwnc1959 said:
“Hamiltonwill play a three-week run, Jan.8-27, 2019, at Teatro UPR, the theater at the University of Puerto Rico’s main campus in the Rio Piedras section of San Juan. Built in 1939, Teatro UPR is considered Puerto Rico’s most iconic stage, and recently hosted Spanish language productions ofEvita, Into the Woods, Master Class, The Sound of MusicandOnce on This Island.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lin-manuel-miranda-star-hamilton-puerto-rico-1056089
"

trpguyy said:
"The Peggy company will continue in North America after its run in Puerto Rico. As of last month, itinerary was still to be determined."

trpguyy said:
"It's quite possible that it won't be a tour."

In this interview with Savannah Guthrie, Lin confirmed that after the initial three week run in Puerto Rico, the Peggy company will come to the United States. Based on the tour dates/locations already scheduled for the Angelica and Philip tours, it looks pretty certain that the Peggy tour will be the SF cast (the show opens there in late February). He starts discussing the casting around the 9:00 minute mark and he mentions that it will be another tour cast around the 9:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHv4G1xw3As

Les Miserables Tour 2017  Aug 16 2018, 06:31:04 AM

Kitsune said: I haven't seen Les Mis in probably 15 years, and it is among my favorite musicals. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any Goldstar discounts for the SF run, and the rush has been very hard so far.

Would you say this production is worth shelling out $100+ for? Trying to decide if I would be willing to pay full price.
"

I agree with Babe_Williams - it really depends how much you love Les Mis and how okay you are with the changes. I

Les Miserables Tour 2017  Aug 15 2018, 08:52:09 AM

Jallenc32 said: "Caught the show in Philly last night. Holy backphrasing Batman. I don't know if Javert ever sung two lines in a row as written. The show has devolved into cartoon (something that's been happening for years now), but I've never seen it played this badly & broadly on a major tour.

Also the new tour orchestrations were horrible. Incredibly synth heavy with a weird piano solo in On My Own. I'm actually wondering if a couple players were out and they couldn't get subs in time. They also completely cut the exit music which I found really odd.

I saw the tour in San Francisco and I found myself getting annoyed with several aspects of the show. First, like many other Les Mis fans, I have listened to the complete symphonic recording many times over the ears so it's really noticeable to me when a production cuts anything. The biggest cut was that they shortened Castle on a Cloud by removing an entire verse ("there is a room that's full of toys". They also got rid of the spoken line "There's a boy climbing the barricade" when Eponine returns from delivering Marius' letter. I know they got rid of the turntable, but they couldn't show her climbing in?

I had somehow forgotten my previous complaint about the last time I saw this show on tour, which was that they increased the tempo on many of the songs. They did it again which I felt was a detriment to anyone in the audience who wasn't already familiar with the songs. At one point (I can't remember which song), I thought man, if I didn't already know all the lyrics to this song, I would have no idea what words they spit out for that song rapidfire. The most egregious example of speeding up songs was A Little Fall of Rain. If you want people to feel the impact of Eponine's death, maybe don't have the two actors racing through the song. Give the actors and the audience a second to breathe.

The lighting was so dim that in some of the larger group numbers, I couldn't tell who was actually singing because it was so dark. I think it was Red and Black where I wanted to march myself to the light board and ask them to bump the dimmers up to 60%. The lights in that scene were dim plus there was some smoke and they used some backlighting so it was almost impossible to know who was actually singing which line. The dim lighting was a problem throughout the show. In several scenes, the wash for the stage was very dim with a blue or yellow cast and the only visible people were whoever had a spotlight on them, despite the fact that there were other main characters on the stage at the same time.

Whoever was running the fog effect was overzealous. When Jean Valjean drags Marius into the tunnels, there was so much fog that the door to the tunnel was not visible. The fog was seriously about four feet high at that point. I know it's fun to play with dry ice, but calm down there!

I had the same issue with Javert as you did, @jallenc32 - the only notes that he sang as written were the big glory notes at the end of certain phrases. Everything else was willy nilly and all over the place. But after seeing Russell Crowe, I feel like I'm not allowed to complain since everyone else is a million times better than he was!

My husband agrees with you about the orchestrations. He hated some of the arrangements they used (his biggest complaint was the guitar).

Nick Cartell did a beautiful "Bring Him Home." My biggest complaint about him was that he didn't seem old enough to play Jean Valjean. The show begins at the end of his 19 year sentence and then jumps ahead eight years to when he's the mayor and then another nine years later. Even if he was only 16 when he stole that loaf of bread, that would make him 52 for the majority of the show and he obviously is nowhere near that old in real life (despite the grey hair he sports as older Valjean).

One thing I loved about the show is that SHN sent an email to all ticket holders stating that the show would start on time at 7:30pm and that there would be no late seating for the first 14 minutes of the show. The only down side was that as soon as the prologue was over, the ushers were running up and down the aisles with their flashlights on seating tons of late people during At the End of the Day.

HAMILTON National Tourn  Aug 15 2018, 07:12:29 AM

Miles2Go2 said: "she was second guessing herself after her Facebook friend was bragging about how easy it is to win lottery tix. I already mentioned the possibility that these might be box seats, but she doesn’t think they are. I think it’s best I zip my lip unless she asks. She’ll just make herself miserable worrying if I say more. The reality is there are perks to box seats: great leg room and she’ll have greater appreciation of the set design (center stage

HAMILTON National Tour  Jul 4 2018, 01:30:59 AM

dmwnc1959 said: "Sally Burns said: "Yay, can't wait to hear what you think about the two different casts!

Just to give you an idea of the vastly different photo op situations..."

GREAT pictures.It’ll be interesting to see how the two different theaters handle the exterior “Hamilton”signage, and whether it will be as extensive as that. I can only pray.

The two shows I’m seeing are approximatelyfive months apart, with seven other shows in between them, so hopefullyI can remember the first cast well enough to comparethem both.
"

I was really surprised that the Las Vegas venue had no other signs (inside or outside) for people to take pictures in fromt of. The only things in the main lobby were that official backdrop, the cast list, and the merch booth. There wasn’t even a small poster with the show name and logo.  There was one electronic poster outside the building that cycled through future shows but I never saw Hamilton show up on it. 

I saw the show in May 2017, January 2018, and June 2018 but I still remember the first cast I saw very vividly, so I’m sure you’ll remember enough to compare the two casts!

HAMILTON National Tour  Jul 3 2018, 08:33:34 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "^ ^ ^ Thank you for all of this. I’m seeing the show twice, once each at the State Theater Playhouse Square (Cleveland) and the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts (Pittsburgh). I’ve never been to the former, but the latter only has one area where they sell souvenirs, albeit like with “WICKED”, it may be several booths end to end to end and cover a much larger area.

I always arrive before the street doors open so that I can get inside early and scope out the merchandise. I’d buy all of my souvenirs in advance except the window cards, which may or may not be the same at each stop, or in case they have autographed ones for sale. I don’t want it to get damaged while I’m sitting for Act 2.

And this will be the first time I won’t be front row balcony, so getting to the restrooms in a expeditious manner will be a little trickier.

Looking forward to a “Hamilton” backdrop. That would be very cool!
"

Yay, can't wait to hear what you think about the two different casts!

Just to give you an idea of the vastly different photo op situations:

San Francisco (note: the SF pictures are not mine, just photos I found on IG):

San Diego (It's hard to tell from the angle, but the sign in the first photo is huge but super tall so it wasn't great for taking pictures with people in them. In the second photo you can just barely see at the bottom that there are smaller silhouettes that you could take pictures with but everyone was trying to take pictures with the big sign hanging on the side of the building):

Las Vegas (no marquee or signs outside the building)

HAMILTON National Tour  Jul 3 2018, 05:27:53 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "In regards to the show's playlist, when does Act 1end, and what song starts Act 2? Just want to get an idea, that when I am sitting at the show, when to anticipate a dash off to the souvenir stand and restrooms. Thanks!:)"

My recommendation: when you enter the venue, ask the ticket taker at the door where the merch booths are. I have seen Hamilton in three different cities and they almost always have more than one location. The one closest to the

BANDSTAND! - Fathom Events June 25th-28th  Jul 2 2018, 09:27:00 PM

Steve C. said: "It's nice to see there are other fans of (not only) Corey Cott, but his hairy chest ! Normally, we have to shave all the hair from certain places for certain roles. I wonder if, when "Bandstand" tours if one of the requirements for "Donny" will be "must have hairy chest"!! Ha-a! At least we can enjoy his for now!"

I agree that it was nice to see an actor who wasn't waxed within an inch of his life and as hairless

Soft Power at the Curran  Jul 2 2018, 03:17:43 AM

I really wanted to like Soft Power, mostly because of all the things that it is NOT. It's not a jukebox musical. It's not a revival. It's not a movie being made into a musical. It feels like those categories cover 90% of the musicals that have come out in recent years.

On top of that, the creative team has multiple Tonys so I had pretty high expectations for the book/music/direction/overall show.

The cast was really great. Everyone from Conrad Ricamora to the ensembl

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019  Jul 2 2018, 03:01:36 AM

MarkBearSF said: "I'm glad to hear that they addressed the bathroom problem. That theater needs so much work to live up to its potential. The brown painted walls are so DRAB, and the huge outer lobby, with the stairs to the mezz really needs to be reconfigured to expand the cramped orchestra lobby to encompass the stairs and some of that space."

I agree.The bathroom situation was pretty dismal and the lobby space is so small and not used well. I really hope they

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019  Jul 2 2018, 02:53:29 AM

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "A major lapses of the synapsefor me, Sally Burns. I have re-edited my original post re the theatres. Thanks for bring it to my attention."

No worries! I've had much worse brain farts!

BANDSTAND! - Fathom Events June 25th-28th  Jul 2 2018, 02:38:40 AM

adamgreer said: "I hope AMC refunded all of your tickets for that hassle!"

They gave us movie passes and made sure to tell us that we could use them for anything including Dolby movies that cost $22, but considering that we paid $18 per ticket, it's not as impressive as I think they wanted it to be.

I feel bad complaining because I just wanted to enjoy seeing Bandstand but the whole experience was frustrating from beginning (even before I bought the ticket

BANDSTAND! - Fathom Events June 25th-28th  Jul 1 2018, 09:43:29 PM

I originally wanted to see this on Thursday night but for some reason, the Fathom website would only let me buy tickets for the Monday night show. The Thursday show was listed but when I tried to click on the ticket link, I got a message that said the theater was still setting up ticketing and to check back later. I was afraid that this meant they were not going to do the Thursday show so I just bought tickets to the Monday show. I kept checking to see if tickets were available for Thursday a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You