News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MosaicOwl

Member Name: MosaicOwl
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jeff Loeffelholz suicide news coverage
 Aug 1 2018, 01:40:07 PM

trpguyy said: "MosaicOwl said: "When you agree to Facebook's terms of use I'm pretty sure you agree to let them use your device's camera, internal functions, microphone, etc for data collecting purposes. They use all of the information gathered by looking at what you are doing on the internet, what your camera is pointed at, what you are saying or anything else heard through your device's microphone, and other methods."

That's not true.

https://www.wired.com/story/facebooks-listening-smartphone-microphone/
"

Well that's reassuring at least.

Aug 1 2018, 12:57:53 PM

Scarlet Leigh said: "I don't know if it's facebook's algorithms because I have been reading up on this a lot as of late or not but... has anyone else been suddenly getting a MASSIVE influx of advertising for Chicago on their FB page? I can't tell if it was always there before and it's just kicking in now since I have viewed a number of things in regards to this story as of late or.... are the producers of this trying to suddenly and massively up the advertising as

Jul 29 2018, 07:04:32 AM

bk said: "I'm guessing no one will ever know the totality of this but I'm glad the Times article at least mentions that which has heretofore been avoided."

I really didn't want to reply to this at first because I honestly don't want to start up another argument about things that are not directly related to my original purpose for the thread. However, I don't like the accusation of purposeful "avoidance" of facts. Specifically and personally in this thread, I wasn't avoiding making those facts known, and I don't think any other friends or family were intentionally hiding or omitting the chocolate shop/lawsuit info in other publications. It was public knowledge anyway (the court dockets for the surrounding lawsuit are searchable and even show up in a Google search for "Jeff Loeffelholz". Someone eventually would have thought to include the info. Just because I or any of Jeff's other family or friends didn't publish it doesn't mean we were "avoiding" or hiding it. I obviously can't speak for anyone else's intentions, but at the time I didn't think it was relative to the cause of Jeff's suicide. Peter's loss of employment and Jeff's subsequent resignation from the shop happened in 2016, meaning he hadn't enjoyed employment there in some time. Do I think it contributed to the thoughts feelings he was experiencing that led him to suicide? Maybe in some manner, now that it has been brought to mind.  If anything, my own opinion on the matter is that because the loss of Jeff's and Peter's employment at the shop had caused CHICAGO to become his only source of income, Jeff's perception of unwantedness or unwelcomeness at CHICAGO would have been especially threatening and scary to him. It isn't publically known yet (and obviously I don't know, either) whether Bobbie and Stifleman were aware of the fact that he didn't have any employment to fall back on. However, I really don't think it should matter. If their behavior was an intentional tactic to force him to quit the show, it's still unethical behavior, regardless of his personal circumstances unrelated to the show. Even if he had quit and hadn't taken his own life, I still think it would have been unethical. If what Stifleman and Bobbie wanted was to be rid of Jeff without the production buying him out of his contract, and they were using their positions in the show to humiliate him in an effort to realize that goal, it's an abuse of position and power. Unfortunately, for Jeff's family and friends, for all that enjoyed his art, and for the world in general, it may have contributed to a loss of a beautiful, precious, and innocent life. 

Does anyone know if the results of the Equity investigation will be made public?

Jul 20 2018, 01:51:19 PM

Wayman_Wong said: "Speaking of the N.Y. Times, why has it been so conspicuously absent in reporting this story? The Times website ran a short about the probe a few days ago, but it was by the Associated Press."

The Times is currently working on a piece.

Jul 12 2018, 05:46:21 PM

NoName3 said: "The story has been reported both nationally and internationally but it hasn't been front page news and won't be."

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Not only is this tragedy very personal for me, but I think it's coverage could bring awareness to an issue that is often overlooked (pending the results of the ongoing investigation). It was covered on Fox News' web site last week. It was an obscure article. If you think there is

Jul 10 2018, 01:33:21 PM

There is a complete statement from attorney Judd Burstein in the blog:

https://Justiceforjeffrey.wordpress.com

Jul 10 2018, 03:37:16 AM

Page Six has a new article, including a more extensive statement from Judd Burstein.

"Burstein told us of the Friday meeting, “I informed [the cast] that I had been retained to conduct an investigation, and that I wanted to speak to everyone who had knowledge of what occurred with respect to Mr. Loeffelholz’s death, as well as anyone who wanted to speak to me about anything else concerning ‘Chicago.’ ” He told us he hopes to have the probe wrapped up within two weeks, adding that his investigation is entirely independent from the Weisslers. He said, “My obligation here is to find the truth about what happened without regard to the consequences which flow from my finding."

https://pagesix.com/2018/07/09/chicago-producers-call-in-lawyer-after-cast-members-suicide/

Jul 10 2018, 03:09:26 AM

A Director said: "More informationhttps://broadway.news/2018/07/09/chicago-producers-investigate-harassment-claims-after-cast-members-death/"

Thanks for sharing! So glad to see that new and fresh stories are still being published. 

Jul 9 2018, 05:16:42 PM

bk said: "MosaicOwl said: "bk said: "The director can't lose his job - his job was basically finished when he - directed the show twenty-two years ago. He retains a royalty position of course and that has made him a very wealthy man.

In other news, a performer I know did one of the tours of Chicago and apparently Mr. Bobbie was very abusive to her in front of the entire company and she seems willing to talk about it and doesn't really care about t

Jul 9 2018, 01:31:10 PM

DAME said: "If you are interested; you might want to check outRandySlovacek'sFacebook page and blog. Lots of ex Chicago company members expressing their grief and sharing stories. Randy has been long associated with Chicago and recreates the original revival production all over the world. Interesting to read David Labella's comments there as well. Actors Equity has their work cutout for them with this investigation."

Oh my goodness, thank you

Jul 9 2018, 11:30:39 AM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "MosaicOwl -

I’m not sure exactly how it works for long-running Broadway shows, but in professional regional theatre, once the show opens, the director’s job is done. It could run for ten days or for ten months, it doesn’t matter. Once the show opens he is no longer an “employee,” and the stage management team takes over.

I do know that with Broadway shows, an associate director (basically, an assistan

Jul 9 2018, 06:09:32 AM

bk said: "The director can't lose his job - his job was basically finished when he - directed the show twenty-two years ago. He retains a royalty position of course and that has made him a very wealthy man.

In other news, a performer I know did one of the tours of Chicago and apparently Mr. Bobbie was very abusive to her in front of the entire company and she seems willing to talk about it and doesn't really care about this anonymity stuff. People remaining anonymo

Jul 9 2018, 04:26:30 AM

QueenAlice said: "I doubt the cast is being told to keep quiet because this is extremely unlikely to be turned into some kind of murder case against the people involved with the musical Chicago. There is still a disconnect in the story right now between the details of this rehearsal and a motive for this man’s tragic suicide, which for all we know right now was perhaps partly accidental."

Of course it would never turn into a criminal charge and trial. But I

Jul 8 2018, 11:13:15 PM

"Among many uncomfortable posts from MosaicOwl, the last straw for me was the statement, "We now have ZERO blood relatives in NYC, because Jeff was the only one of us that lived there.""

The last thing I wanted was to make anyone uncomfortable. The only thing I meant by that statement was that my family doesn't really know any of Jeff's friends since he grew up here and made friends after moving to NY, and so the only person we know who kno

Jul 8 2018, 10:59:09 PM

ArtMan said: "MosaicOwl, First, I am sorry for your loss. Second, I have been hesitant to post on this thread for various reasons. I understand that the majority of your family is out of state. I believe you mentioned Oklahoma. What I don't understand is why you are not in direct 24-7 communication with Jeff's partner and possibly obtaining information from him, instead of from a bunch of strangers on a message board who really know nothing?Even though he is not a member of f

Jul 8 2018, 09:28:27 PM

bk said: "MosaicOwl said: "Bk,

If I were trying to plant ideas, I would insist that the Equity investigation is fair while the Burstein investigation is not.

The rehearsal began with only Jeff, Bobbie, and Stifelman. Cast members began to arrive slowly as the rehearsal continued. I believe it says that in the handwritten notes. It also says in the blog (which, by the way, I have always referred to as "the blog" and never said that it was indep

Jul 8 2018, 09:01:38 PM

Bk said: "...but now you're already planting doubts here that there can never be a fair investigation from any side."

How is that statement "not telling me or anyone else anything"?

Jul 8 2018, 07:54:28 PM

Bk,

If I were trying to plant ideas, I would insist that the Equity investigation is fair while the Burstein investigation is not.

The rehearsal began with only Jeff, Bobbie, and Stifelman. Cast members began to arrive slowly as the rehearsal continued. I believe it says that in the handwritten notes. It also says in the blog (which, by the way, I have always referred to as "the blog" and never said that it was independently verified) that by the time the rehea

Jul 8 2018, 07:33:24 PM

bk said: "MosaicOwl said: "bk said: "Finally, if the blog is written by his partner, why is the partner's name there - or did I miss that, too?"

The blog was not written by his partner. It was written by a friend.

And if Bobbie and Stifelman are being investigated, they would have been advised not to talk to any media. It's also possible that other witnesses are keeping quiet until the investigation is complete.

Als

Jul 8 2018, 07:23:12 PM

From the latest blog entry: "A subsequent text exchange that following Tuesday June 26, Loeffelholz said to Rardin: “I would go hang out at the [Ambassador] Theater but I feel I have a scarlet letter on me.” By using the phrase “scarlet letter,” Loeffelholz was insinuating that he felt he had become a “marked” performer like the character Hester Prynne in the Nathaniel Hawthorne novel The Scarlet Letter. He was clearly afraid of being shunned by the other cast members who witnessed the previous Friday’s rehearsal. He then texted Rardin screen grabs of the Actor’s Equity rules regarding intimidation. He then sent Rardin a screen grab of the Equity rules regarding “Just Cause” and added “It was a set up.”

Looks to me like at least Jeff thought they were trying to push him to quit.

https://Justiceforjeffrey.wordpress.com

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You