News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bigjoec2

Member Name: bigjoec2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Funniest/Funnest Broadway (or Off) Musical Right Now?
 Mar 27 2024, 01:49:25 PM

Thanks everyone! Looking at the recs above, I think I'm leaning toward Dead Outlaw or & Juliet.

Oh, Mary! is also going on my list, but it looks sold out tonight. And I do need to see the Play that Goes Wrong at some point.

Funniest/Funnest Broadway (or Off) Musical Right Now?
 Mar 27 2024, 11:05:10 AM

I feel completely out of the loop on Broadway -- like, I've paid it no attention over the last year and a half due to being out of the country and then starting a new job. But I have a rare night free tonight, and want to dip into my old habit of grabbing a last-minute ticket to something fun.

I've had some great successes with random shows from TKTS (e.g. School of Rock and The Other Josh Cohen were both a shockingly good time), and some big busts too, of course (Gettin&#

Open letter to Broadway theatre owners and house managers -- TURN UP YOUR A/C!
 Oct 3 2021, 06:42:19 PM

Whoa, we've had completely opposite experiences.

Went to Hadestown on reopening night, and I have never in my life been colder in a theater. Long-sleeves, blazer and jeans and I had to sit on my hands because my fingers were uncomfortably cold.

Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
 Jun 22 2021, 10:28:40 AM

Anyone know what became of the plans to remodel the Delacorte?

There were articles about in 2018, saying it would go dark this summer, but I've seen zilch since. E.g. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Public-Theaters-Shakespeare-In-The-Park-Will-Return-for-Summer-2021-with-Jocelyn-Biohs-MERRY-WIVES-20210316

To be clear -- I'm thrilled they're performing this summer and not going dark for a remodel, but I remember thinking last summer that if they were going to do it, they should've done it then when they were shut down anyway.

King Kong to close on August 16
 Jun 27 2019, 12:26:19 AM
I'll probably grab a cheap ticket some night that I'm bored, based on the couple recommendations here.

Does it matter where I sit? My motivation is to see the puppet. Do I want to be close, or up high, or doesn't matter ... ?

Oklahoma! or What The Constitution Means To Me
 Jun 27 2019, 12:20:32 AM
Good gracious pal, have you forgotten the first law of holes? You're seriously going to accuse me of "twisted revisionism"?

Go re-read the thread, I'll wait.

Done? Okay, what do we see? You gave your admittedly "glib reduction" of the show, under the heading "all you need to know" about it.

To this, DM responded: "Methinks you missed quite a bit." To which you responded: "Such as?".

So let's pause and take stock. At this point of the discussion, DM is p

Jun 26 2019, 12:39:39 PM
There's no way that your description holds as a characterization of "everything you need to know". No con law class includes an emotional telling of the prof's personal experience with domestic abuse, and no reasonable reader could be expected to infer that from your description.

That part is the emotional heart of the play, the linchpin that likely resonated most with the audience giving it rave reviews. As DM hypothesized, your description missed it.

Jun 26 2019, 09:15:10 AM

Let's take a step back here. I think this may be a bit of a miscommunication -- I actually agree with you that it dragged at the end, that the points were better made earlier in the course of the discussion.

The issue is that you described the entire experience thusly:

"But really you know all you need to know: one is a play/lecture about constitutional law, and one is a modern take on a R&H classic. ... Just a question of whether you prefer a well sung

Jun 26 2019, 07:55:12 AM

Zion24 said: "You seem to think that my assessment is somehow flawed and thatI "missed it"? And you think this because...everyone else here liked it (not even accurate) or because the Tony nominators liked it, so I must have missed something? And you haven't even seen it yet!

I like reading your takes on here but this was a pretty ridiculous one.
"

To be fair, dramamama's take was correct. You did miss a big chunk of what's mo

Puffs Off-Bway Closing
 Jun 20 2019, 05:20:06 PM

Bummer. Fantastic show.

To anyone who has the slightest inclination -- you must go see it. Hilarious.

Be More Chill or The Prom?
 Jun 15 2019, 12:15:16 PM

Count me as another vote for Prom. Of course, if anyone in your group has problems with homosexuality or two girls kissing then they won't like it, but to any reasonable person it's a nice story, generally uplifting and a lot of fun.

Also, I think the 10 year-old will really like the dancing. I mean, I'm 42 and I really enjoyed it, and I don't see any reason why a 10-year-old wouldn't. :)

Oh, and to your question on tickets -- we saw it in May&n

Puffs Off-Bway
 May 20 2019, 05:53:30 PM

Finally saw this on Friday. Hilarious! Wife and I both loved it.

The improv by the Zach Smith actor just about had us on the floor. (Hmm, you know what? I don't think I got a playbill at the show. Oh well, I rarely use them).

For anyone who thinks that they might enjoy this, I say go for it, it's great.

What The Constitution Means To Me Broadway Reviews
 May 17 2019, 12:08:38 AM

OlBlueEyes said: "... 
Are people just accepting this statement: "More American women have been killed by violent male partners in the last century than Americans have been killed in wars, including 9/11." ...

But consider these incidents of domestic violence. How is the Constitution supposed to prevent these. What Amendment can be added to stop them. That which is ignored here is thatsome responsibility must fall on the woman. The Justice Depa

Bad Theater Behavior
 May 10 2019, 09:40:54 PM

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "To people who think it's okay to have no theatre manners based on the 'blackness' of a show or because you feel ethnically entitled, you're part of the problem.Grow the **** up.

This isn't your living room, so stay quiet. Clap if you appreciate your performance, but stop attempting to make it about yourself. It's egocentric and sad when audience members consciously or subconsciously try to upstage what's happening with t

Bad Theater Behavior
 May 10 2019, 09:17:02 PM

LxGstv said:

"...The Root article is incredibly misguided.

...Ain’t Too Proud is a tricky one, I haven’t seen it, but I heard from friends that have that audience participation is encouraged?

...In which case, it’s a bit trickier to ask someone to shush or shut up."

So you haven't seen the show, you have heard people say that the show actually encourages people to act as the author of the Root article desc

The Prom, Tootsie or Burn This?
 May 10 2019, 08:48:06 PM

If you're under 25 and into musical theater, odds are that you'll love the Prom. Love it.

That's far from the only group of folks that will enjoy it (I'm a fair bit older and had a great time), but I'd guess that easily 90% of that demographic will have a good laugh, a good cry and come away humming the tunes.

The Other Josh Cohen
 Mar 1 2019, 11:42:20 PM

Really enjoyed this show. Also, had never been to Westside Theater, and I thought it was great -- perfect, intimate space for this.

My only complaint was that one-year-ago-Josh-Cohen, while engaging and funny, seemed to be having some issues with the songs. It was a little hard to tell; it was mainly when the two Josh Cohens were harmonizing (which was fairly frequent), but they seemed a little off from each other, and sometimes I couldn't pick out the words. It looked to me like o

GETTIN' THE BAND BACK TOGETHER Reviews
 Aug 22 2018, 11:11:58 PM

raddersons said: "I laughed twice during this show. The first was that Act II number with the piano player in the diner. It was a hysterical SNL sketch that had no right being in that show. It was also a weird ripoff of "George's Prayer" from The Wedding Singer, but I couldn't help myself, it was funny.

The second waswhen the grandma ensemble member was swallowing a sword at the end of the diner scene in chaos. I was generally a big fan of the grandma ens

GETTIN' THE BAND BACK TOGETHER Reviews
 Aug 22 2018, 11:37:07 AM

Saw this last night. My first ever Broadway show!

(Not as big a deal as that may sound. I moved to NYC a few months ago, my wife was out of town, I work in midtown, and on a whim yesterday I decided to buy the cheapest ticket I could find for a show after work, knowing nothing about this. I've been to plenty of touring productions in other cities, and plan to see more Broadway now that I'm here.)

Anyway, it sucked. The music was uninspired an unfunny. There were some jok

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You