News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for tjjster

Member Name: tjjster
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Young Frankenstein Live
 Jan 9 2020, 01:17:26 PM

I wonder if they will get Zachary Levi; he has a history with Disney and the show. Also, it'd be interesting if they were to bring in Cloris Leachman since she was in rehearsals to go into the broadway production but then it announced it was closing.

MOULIN ROUGE! cast album available digitally 8/30
 Aug 23 2019, 12:16:09 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "The Moulin Rouge cast album is giving Hadestown the side eye."

Maybe, but if the quality of the rest of the album is like the Sparkling Diamonds track they released maybe they should have taken the extra time. It sounds muddled and the lyrics are barely understandable.

Lucas Hnath - DANA H
 Aug 2 2019, 05:56:55 PM

Just announced for a winter 2020 production at the Vineyard Off-Broadway starring Deirdre O'Connell.

I know this show will be divisive, but I'm happy that (imo) this extraordinary show gets a chance to run in NYC.

Into the Woods - Hollywood Bowl
 Jul 28 2019, 02:23:02 PM
I’m pretty sure nothing was cut, but it seems they used the original book/score without the changes or additions made to it over the years.
It was actually really great to see it in this form which is superior to the subsequent incarnations.

COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
 Jul 10 2019, 04:17:09 PM

Wasn't Hathaway also very well received int he Encores Carnival staging she did with Brian Stokes Mitchell? 

https://youtu.be/WNZ8uaw_dDE

Lucas Hnath - DANA H
 Jun 7 2019, 08:38:55 PM

VernonGersch said: "also, how long is the show?its still listed as TBD on the CTG website"

The play runs about 75 minutes or so.

Lucas Hnath - DANA H
 Jun 7 2019, 08:37:54 PM

Saw this play last week, and I can't sing its praises loud enough. I went in knowing the general subject matter of the show, but not how the play is presented to the audience.

Deirdre O'Connell is mesmerizing and so in tune with the character that for the majority of the piece I forgot we were not hearing her voice. 

If you are in the Los Angeles area during the show's run, go see it.

Once On This Island Tour
 Feb 3 2019, 08:09:42 PM

I miss the Shubert. I think the last show I saw there was the Kiss Me Kate tour with Rachel York.

Once On This Island Tour
 Feb 3 2019, 08:06:01 PM

Yeah, I don't think BatB has ever played the Ahmanson. Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Best
 Feb 1 2019, 08:14:42 PM

First one that comes to mind is Broadway Boogie Woogie from A Class Act.

Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child joining OOTI Nov. 30
 Oct 25 2018, 07:27:42 PM

The same company handles the marketing for both OOTI and Be More Chill. I heard a rumor that they are actively trying to keep OOTI in CITS so as to prevent Hadestown from coming in. Be More Chill does not want that competition during awards season.

SWEAT - MARK TAPER FORUM
 Sep 26 2018, 08:14:21 PM

I couldn't agree more. Saw it earlier in the run with my boyfriend (who is not a theater person at all) and both of us left in awe of the production.

Truly top notch acting all around!

Patti LuPone The Rink
 Jun 19 2018, 09:25:25 PM

About 10 years ago my bf and I were dreaming up possible Encores shows (he was working for Jack Viertel) 

We talked about the Rink. First pairing we talked about was obviously LuPone/Benanti, but then I threw out the idea of Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson.

I still think that could have been amazing. Sadly I think both pairings may have aged out of the roles by now.

FROZEN Reviews
 Mar 23 2018, 02:19:30 PM

I vaguely remember at the time Francesca was hired, there was an interview stating she didn't like Musical Theater.

Also I only remember two things from that production:

1) She used the same stage trick twice, where someone was flown up into the rafters (as if swimming upward) and then the character emerged through a trap door to signify they made it to land. Using it twice wouldn't have been a big deal except that it was for Ariels big end of act 1 i made

West Coast Theater
 Oct 16 2017, 08:31:43 PM

I think it depends on what you want to see. There is a lot of theatre in LA but sometimes its just wading through all the smaller houses to find the gems. As anywhere, quality can vary greatly from production to production. 

https://www.lastagetix.com/ is a great resource in addition to the theatre in la website mentioned above.

Some reliable venues:

CTG (Ahmanson/Taper/Kirk Douglas) is an awesome company but think the Ahmanson and the Taper are mostly dark in December. Spamilton is playing at the Douglas.

South Coast Rep (3 stages one of which will be taken up by their yearly Christmas Carol)

Wallis Annenberg Ctr for the Performing Arts

Antaeus Theatre Company

A Noise Within

Pasadena Playhouse

re: What shows did you do in high school?
 Sep 7 2017, 07:36:01 PM

This is fun.

Frosh: Smile (Ensemble)
Sophmore: Once Upon a Mattress (Jester)
Junior: Fiddler on the Roof (Motel), The Diviners (Dewey), Mayhem in Maeville (Bud)
Senior: Once on this Island (Tonton Julian), Godspell (Jesus), You Can't Take it With You (Tony)

Amelie at the Ahmanson
 Dec 9 2016, 12:47:15 PM

I would choose side front mez. the mez hangs over around row r of the orchestra i believe. I saw the show on tuesday and there is a lot of action that happens at the top of the set. not sure the sightlines from the back of the house but wouldn't want you to miss anything.

I found the show thouroughly delightful. Is it great art? I don't think so, but I left the theater utterly elated, and had a smile on my face throughout most of the show. In regards to Soo, her performance was

Side Show previews in LaJolla
 Nov 9 2013, 11:14:07 AM
Ray is a singer/dancer in the girls act. It is also inferred that he and Buddy might have a relationship.

I saw the show last night (Friday, 11/ and I have to say I wasn't as impressed as some of the others who have seen the show.

I did not find Manoel Felciano a good fit for the role of Terry, and for me, Private Conversation was the least enjoyable moment in the show.

As reported above, the Jake was in serious vocal duress, at least I hope he was. Even so, I felt like he was a weak link in the cast.

I thought the songs were fine, most of them forgettable, although I agree with the above poster who said Sideshow was very well constructed and performed. Also agree that the Houdini song was entirely pointless although sung exquisitely.

I also have to put out there I really hated the staging of 1+1=3.

******SPOILER ALERT

Buddy comes out and performs the beginning as a song a dance routine, then a bed unit and the ensemble dressed in gold shining cherub/cupid costumes come out and dance while Buddy disappears into the bed unit. The two girls and Buddy then appear topless popping up from behind the bed insinuating sexual innuendo that seemed more apropos for the middle of "Two Ladies" from Cabaret. Towards the end of the song Ray, who I mentioned above, pops out and says some line about well if you like 3, why not four and they continue the song in popping up and down behind the unit in various positions including a suggestive one with Ray and Buddy.
*****END SPOILER

I know they were trying to play up the whole Buddy is gay subplot in this revival, but like so much of Side Show they to strongly hit the nail on the head when trying to hammer home the point.

SPOILER ALERT
In the final scene Daisy actually tells Buddy that he can't fool her and she knows and "that at least he can hide what makes him different"
*****END SPOILER

During the curtain speech it was said that changes were implemented earlier in the day so I hope changes will continue to be made. I'm going to try to get back down from LA sometime before it closes in December to see how the actors have sat into the roles and what other changes may have been made.

Annie Preview Thread
 Nov 21 2012, 01:47:52 PM
So apparently standby Jaidyn Young is going on as Annie today. I actually was Bert Healy in a regional production of it out here with her when she found out she got the Broadway gig.

Anyone going to see her today? Thoughts. I loved working with her.

Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
 Feb 25 2012, 09:31:50 AM
Andrea McArdle has done the role twice and and has gotten poor reviews both times.
The first was in North Carolina and the Second was in Southern California.

Side note, I was at a party with the artistic director for the theatre in Southern California where he told me that he wanted Harriet Harris for Hannigan, but there was pressure from the rights holders to hire McArdle. Just an interesting tidbit.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You