News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LostLeander

LostLeander Profile Photo
Member Name: LostLeander
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmsturn
Blog Address:
Profile: I am an avid Broadway fan.
I have an invested interest in seeing that Broadway regains some integrity.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Mullally Writing KAREN: THE MUSICAL and Broadway-Bound in 2010
 Aug 14 2009, 02:14:33 AM
Anyone else think Megan Mullally would make a kick ass Cora Hoover Hooper in Anyone Can Whistle?
re: Cyrano de Bergerac on PBS January 7
 Jan 7 2009, 11:34:32 PM
Kline = brilliant. Perfection.

All I can say about Garner is that she's better than Katie Holmes.

.. not saying much.

re: Liza Showtime Taping
 Jan 3 2009, 03:25:29 PM
Oh wow. I had no idea. I saw it last night, too.

Well done, Showtime.

re: Into the Woods Nominations
 Dec 30 2008, 12:31:46 AM
I have sources that say Buckley was DIVA-TASTIC and would frequently show up late.

And then when she showed up significantly late to dinner with Sondheim and Lapine to discuss the role, they fired her on the spot.

Ouch.

re: How Odd; I Seem To Have Converted.
 Dec 26 2008, 11:35:26 PM
I must recommend that you acquire Patti LuPone Live... an AMAZING cabaret.

I listen to it regularly.

Such a excellent and wide range of songs, and awesome arrangements and fantastic interpretations.

re: New MY FAIR LADY film
 Jun 6 2008, 08:11:03 AM
Will there ever be a movie musical where they cast people who can sing the role?

Marni Nixon is getting a tad too old for all this..

re: Larkin's June...
 May 17 2008, 04:38:35 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of Larkin's either. I thought it was one very one-note, and completely lacked nuance... until MOMMA, which was delightful.

I understood that the sisters finally had something to connect about, and redeemed a bit of my initial resentment, but not all.

She has an AMAZING voice though, and I'm estatic I'll have another great Gypsy recording in my collection.

re: Who should play Charlie & Frank in MWRA revival
 May 11 2008, 12:30:58 PM
Not Michael Cerveris. He's had too many good Sondheim roles.

I would love unknowns for the three leads. Not likely, but I can dream.

re: Why interest in PASSING STRANGE?
 Feb 21 2008, 11:09:17 AM
It's just something that you must experience.

It's nearly impossible to describe to someone, but I think it takes the concept of Spring Awakening a step further.

Just listening to the music out of context will not sell you. The entire show is an experience that you must see to understand why such a "random" show would be considered good enough to transfer to Broadway.

Please, just give it a chance.

re: Revival Recordings Better than the Original
 Jan 5 2008, 09:29:25 PM
I don't think there's any Sondheim revival recording that's superior to the original, in my mind. Perhaps because casting for original Sondheim shows was always perfect.

This isn't a revival, per se, but I do prefer the Williams/Stokes/McGillin Spider Woman.

re: New Behind-the-Scenes Video on SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
 Jan 4 2008, 07:50:31 PM
I'm in love with Daniel Evans.
re: What is your favorite William Finn show?
 Jan 4 2008, 04:03:10 PM
I've only seen Spelling Bee, but my favorite score is Falsettoland, specifically the March of the Falsettos section.

re: Audra McDonald in Sweeney Todd
 Jan 4 2008, 10:54:14 AM
I would disagree about Audra being a intangible goddess. I have been obsessed with her for some time, and I 110 was the 1st time I'd ever been in the same room with her, let alone see her perform.

Beyond the build up to her entrance, by the end of "Love, Don't Turn Away," I was watching Lizzie, not Audra. I have always thought she's come across as down to earth and real, even for someone who idealizes her as much as I do.

I think she conveys so much emotion in her singing voic

re: Specific short lines or lyrics that give you chills
 Jan 3 2008, 11:12:23 AM
In Epiphany, after "No, I'll never hug my girl to me - FINISHED"... the "Alright" gives me chills everytime. It may be my favorite spoken line in a song ever.

Also, Lansbury's spoken "What a shame" in "If He Walked Into My Life". Brilliant, heartbreaking.

re: Best contrapuntal moments in a show (or movie, or ANYTHING)
 Jan 3 2008, 10:57:05 AM
I think Now/Later/Soon should win the award for the best contrapuntal song written for the Musical Theatre Stage. It's perfect.

I think RENT's "And It's Beginning to Snow" is pretty messy and awful. I remember sitting in the audience and thinking I had no idea what was going on or what anyone was saying.

re: Sondheim should write 'Virginia Woolf' the musical
 Dec 29 2007, 06:28:55 PM
Albee would slash Sondheim's throat if he even laid his fingers on that play.

That said, I would actually love to see what LaChiusa would do with that. Though Sondheim writes bitter women and bottled up men remarkably well.

I just want to hear just one solo for Martha, though.

re: Passing Strange Will Arrive on Broadway in 2008
 Dec 28 2007, 09:42:04 PM
Well, this is a very different kind of musical. It's 3/5 narrative, 2/5 rock/pop/funk/experimental/r&b/soul/anyotherkindofmusic concert.

The show is dominated by Stu, who wrote this autobiographical show, and sings most of the music as he narrates the story of his life.

The show was performed in three-quarter thrust, with the band in little secluded pits that would rise and fall when necessary. The show is SO intimate, I hope they choose a small enough house. Intimate off-br

re: The Worst Pies in London
 Nov 6 2007, 04:26:38 PM
And.... scene.

You know you're a theatre nerd when you read this entire post without missing a beat.

re: 'passing strange'
 Oct 31 2007, 01:06:19 AM
This makes my life.

This was one of the best things I've ever seen.

re: Passing Strange Will Arrive on Broadway in 2008
 Oct 19 2007, 01:43:46 AM
I am THRILLED.

This is one of the best things I've ever seen, and I'm so glad it's getting a chance.

True, it's not for everyone, but it's an amazing piece of theatre, and I'm glad it's at least getting seen.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You