News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Smartful Dodger

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Member Name: Smartful Dodger
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: character in a musical you most relate to...
 May 23 2008, 07:17:48 PM
The plant -- Audrey II -- in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.
re: Mandy Patinkin: Sings Sondhiem
 May 20 2008, 06:23:43 PM
Patinkin did a benefit for Classic Stage Company at the Schoenfeld last night. While I applaud his willingness to bring some "star power" to raise money for a small theatre company, I was pretty stunned at how dreadful and inconsistent his interpretations of a variety of song genres were -- from rock to show tunes to some new material. I've only heard him sing in the context of cast recordings for EVITA and SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, where his schtick is tolerable in carefully produced do
re: Gypsy- first preview- what happened in the audience?
 Mar 3 2008, 11:34:26 PM
I was just about to ask. I was in the orchestra, just below the mezzanine. There was an astounding crash and then sobbing above. When I left the theatre, there was an ambulance. Someone who was in the mezzanine reported that an air vent fell on a patron. I'm really worried. If anyone saw it or knows anything, please chime in.

And, YES, the show is indescribable. Patti LuPone is well matched by Laura Benati. I'm so glad this opened on Broadway!

re: Catherine Walker as Mary Poppins
 Aug 14 2007, 09:15:53 PM
Have seen both Ashley Brown and Catherine Walker do the role.

Honestly, Walker is better. She's stern and direct, but the humanity and softer sides of the Poppins character are more nuanced than Brown's characterization -- almost like she delights in being "in charge" because it's something, her directness, that people don't expect.

Walker just seemed to have more fun with it. Maybe she can afford to be more relaxed in the role because she didn't have to "open" it.

re: Does anyone have a complete plot summary of the Light in the Piazza?
 Jun 10 2007, 10:31:10 AM
This one is way better...
re: Maureen Moore in Grey Gardens this afternoon
 Jun 10 2007, 10:24:19 AM
Why wouldn't Clark replace? That seems silly.

Patti LuPone was considered to replace Bernadette Peters as Dot in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE but the producers went with Maryanne Plunlett instead.

And, Betty Buckley replaced Glenn Close in SUNSET BOULEVARD.

And, Jonathan Pryce replaced John Lithgow in DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS.

The list goes on, of course, but my point is that although one has a Tony in hand, it doesn't automatically exclude consideration fro

re: Maureen Moore in Grey Gardens this afternoon
 Jun 9 2007, 09:58:22 PM
Moore is execptional.

Given Ebersole's schedule in promoting the show this past week, it's no wonder she needed a day off to perform tomorrow.

I wish people would understand that. These people are human. There are limits.

Moore deserves roses, not BOOS.

Ebersole will surely acknowledge her tomorrow night during her acceptance speech.

re: 1 Tony Ticket for sale
 Jun 9 2007, 09:54:28 PM
The whole Paris Hilton thing has me fascinated. Crazy, the way it's been presented on TV.

With that, is the aforementioned ticket still available or has someone PM'd?

re: Broadway.com Video Of Recording Legally Blonde
 Jun 9 2007, 09:51:34 PM
Oh, my God, guys -- it's kinds a fun. Leave it at that. I'm taking my two 12-year-old nieces to see a matinee in three weeks and know it will be life-changing experience. If anything, it'll expose one of them to another show other than WICKED, which she has seen six times. I can't wait until they're 14, when SPRING AWAKENING might work. And, 16, when they'll be ready for RENT.
re: Entertainment Weekly Predicts Tony Winners
 Jun 5 2007, 10:02:47 PM
Wow! At last a list of predictions I can love. AWESOME!
re: 'Wicked' star bows out of Powerhouse
 Jun 4 2007, 09:45:27 PM
So, the immediate question is, "Who saw ROMANTIC POETRY in its benefit reading at the Lortel two weeks ago?" I don't believe I saw any reviews (will search in a minute) but suspect that depending on how well that was received, we'll understand why and how the "conflict" arose. If the show was/is any good, then I wouldn't expect the exercise of an "out clause." If it was on the edge, then I'd expect this up-and-coming diva to bolt.
re: 'Annie' would love to play Éponine in Les Miz
 Jun 1 2007, 03:41:44 PM
The interviewer makes me laugh. He's hysterical. And, much more interesting than the "former-kid-star-I'm-still-here" blah blah...
re: the New TKTS moves at a snails pace
 Jun 1 2007, 11:41:06 AM
With all due respect, it looks almost done. You don't "skin" a new building like that with a logo unless you're fairly close. Sure, there is interior work and technology installation that needs to be finished, but it "could" be open by the holidays. The surrounding area also looks to be it's ready for final grading -- not a lot of construction machinery needs to be moved.
re: Goodbye, CORAM BOY!
 May 27 2007, 09:29:49 PM
Testing, I admire your commitment to this show. We all tend to evangelize the things we love (Popular and her belief in THE PIRATE QUEEN comes to mind in most recent history) but you took faith in this show to a new level.

While I loved it when I saw at the first preview, I'm not surprised it didn't last -- 'twas a very tough sell. Still, if more people had been exposed to your constant pushing, I suspect it would have done much better. Thanks for commitment and for all of your effor

re: GETTELFINGER REPLACED BY DAVIE IN GG, WHY?
 May 27 2007, 09:22:19 PM
I'm with WickedFan. We need another one of these threads?

Seriously, please consult the search feature and enjoy months and months and months of discussion on this.

Gettelfinger has her fans. Davie has hers.

re: REVIEW of Grey Gardens 5/25
 May 26 2007, 02:11:50 PM
Sorry, I guess I misread Fen's post when he said he hadn't seen her "in person."
re: REVIEW of Grey Gardens 5/25
 May 26 2007, 12:36:44 PM
Fen, please do not criticize Erin Davies' performance until you see it.

I assure you, without any shadow of a doubt, that you will understand why she does, indeed, have the "toughest job" on that stage, as Munk states.

As has been discussed on other threads related to other cast recordings, often times a recording does not capture the essence or nuance of some truly breathtaking live performances.

re: Spring Awakening
 May 24 2007, 06:34:37 PM
Ofayer, are you FireyFly's fiesty friend?
 May 24 2007, 06:26:36 PM
Seriously. If this is the kind of intelligence they apply to the show's PR and marketing outreach, no wonder the show was doing only marginally successful busines before awards season started. Good grief!
 May 24 2007, 06:04:55 PM
I shill
I shill believe
You will return
I know you will
My heart
Against all odds
Holds shill

Yes, shill
I shill believe
I know as long as I can keep believing
I'll live
I'll live
Love cannot die
You will return...you will return
And I alone know why

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You