News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JohnPopa

JohnPopa Profile Photo
Member Name: JohnPopa
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.livejournal.com/users/thepopa
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Congrats, Megan Hilty: We Will Let You Be The Star!  Apr 26 2015, 12:08:36 PM

You do realize that everything you criticized above is, in fact, the writing. 

current musicals likely to tour?  Apr 19 2015, 04:16:25 PM

"Honeymoon" may tour as "Bullets Over Broadway" currently is - immediately with a non-Equity tour sold mostly to markets with heavy subscriber bases.

Hedwig's Stage door recently  Jun 14 2014, 11:06:47 AM
It was certainly crazy in mid-May when I went but I was closer to the back of the orchestra and had no problem getting a spot.

Harris will only sign the program or the show poster, by the way - no non-Hedwig stuff. Also, you can take pictures but he won't pose with people.

Grind?  May 26 2014, 09:07:03 PM
AFAIK = as far as I know
Sondheim Survey  Jun 6 2012, 09:22:04 PM
Three Favorite Shows:
Sweeney Todd
A Little Night Music
Into the Woods

Least Favorite Show:
Frogs

Three Favorite Songs:
My Friends
The Miller's Son
I Wish I Could Forget You

How long has BroadwayWorld been around?  May 20 2012, 12:10:27 PM
I joined 6/16/03.

So in probably a second rush of new posters after the site opened.

Am I the last of the 'BWW 8?'

(For new folk, the BWW 8 were the eight straight guys on the board when it started!)

Could Aida have won Best Musical...  May 20 2012, 11:15:16 AM
"Anti Lloyd Weber, maybe?"

Given that Lloyd Webber has nothing to do with 'AIDA,' I'm guessing no :)

An argument could probably be generated that there was an anti-Disney sentiment, at the time.

Brooke Shields & Richard Chamberlain to Star in Premiere of THE EXORCIST  May 20 2012, 11:12:50 AM
JohnPopa, I especially dislike it when you say "that's what the story requires to truly frighten and shock us." This is a gross generalization. I don't know when you know learned exactly what the story "requires", but I've seen multiple readings of the play, (the cast had their first read through this week) and from the technical designs of the show to the cast, this play is truly shocking. But, I guess you know better than an accomplished playwright, a Tony award winning director, and a very we
Brooke Shields & Richard Chamberlain to Star in Premiere of THE EXORCIST  May 19 2012, 10:24:24 PM
"The Exorcist" was a moment in time that electrified and terrified the moviegoing audience like nothing really had before and nothing really has since. Sure, there have been scary movies since then but "The Exorcist" tapped into a primal and spiritual part of our country that no one had dared go after before -- and went after it with a viciousness not seen in movies before. People weren't ready for it and couldn't handle it. People fled theaters and got physically ill watching the movie.
Revival of JOSEPH...  Dec 16 2011, 09:24:05 PM
Well said, Blaxx. As long as 'Aspects of Love' doesn't come back ...
Flawed Musicals You'd Like To See Revised  Dec 16 2011, 09:18:45 PM
BLONDEL. I know there were revisions done in 2005 but I'd love to see it fully realized -- difficult, of course, because the composer Stephen Oliver passed away.
LJ must be amazing  Dec 11 2011, 07:26:09 PM
I remember back in the days, shills used to WORK for a living.
Who's ready for Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame?  Aug 14 2011, 06:49:52 PM
I like the songs a great deal but think it's a saccharine adaptation of a really rough and powerful story.
Into The Woods Plot Question  Jun 26 2010, 10:42:57 AM
The Witch used The Baker and The Baker's Wife to gather the ingredients to create the potion that would cure HER. As you recall, she wasn't allowed to have touched any of those ingredients.

Lifting the spell on The Baker's family was just an excuse for them to do what she wanted done for herself.

HEATHERS To Receive September Concert  May 23 2010, 10:03:48 PM
I actually don't like "Heathers" all that much but think it's a great idea for O'Keefe to musicalize. He's got a lot more edge to him that "Blonde" was able to show.
re: For the Horror Fans: My Rundown of HALLOWEEN 2  Aug 28 2009, 04:14:17 PM
I have to say I enjoyed this movie overall. It's a little off kilter from time to time and some of the artsy imagery with Sheri Moon got a bit tiring but, all in all, I thought the movie was pretty strong as a slasher movie. I particularly liked the sequence with Danielle Harris toward the end, it was a nice use of restraint from Zombie and made for a surprisingly emotional moment or two.

It's probably not a great movie by most standards, but if you like these kind of slasher movies,

re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery  Jun 8 2009, 03:10:57 PM
I agree with Namo that it would have been MUCH funnier had it been Liza.

And I saw Poison back in the day live. TWICE. I've earned the right to laugh at things hitting Bret Michaels in the head.

re: If you had to pick i Les Miz recording..  May 22 2009, 12:54:59 PM
Unfortunately, I think every recording has a fatal flaw in terms of casting so it might come down to which characters/songs you most want to hear. Overall I listen to the 10th Anniversary concert the most as the only performance I don't especially care for is Enjorlas, but the rest is very strong.
re: Most forgotten Best Musical Winner?  May 22 2009, 10:02:48 AM
Millie's being done in community theaters and at high schools pretty steadily, I doubt it will be forgotten at all.
re: Most forgotten Best Musical Winner?  May 22 2009, 01:39:33 AM
I think TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA tends to be overshadowed by the other shows from that season (Follies, Grease, Jesus Christ Superstar) that are far more well known shows.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You