News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Roger's Chica

Roger's Chica Profile Photo
Member Name: Roger's Chica
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
 Apr 15 2005, 02:08:39 AM

Oh, yeah, I should probably make sure to say that I'm not talking about mega musicals. (JSC and Evita aren't Grand Musicals either, they count as concept musicals because of their technical elements... following one person's life and especially with the decision to bring Che and Eva together as characters in Evita, though he wasn't in Argentina at the time.) I'm sort of using stupid terms from school, but I'm just trying to point out that Wicked has made some sort of mark.

Apr 15 2005, 01:55:08 AM

Rent's not technically a Grand Musical. The set isn't elaborate enough, there's very little spectacle... there's a couple more critera that I can't remember without my notes, but there's something about the music that makes it not a Grand Musical.

The traditional "Mega Musicals" are considered the Grand Musical (ALW of the 80s, specifically Starlight Express and Phantom, Miss Saigon, etc). Wicked differs a little, because it deals more with philosophical questions (opposed to poli

Apr 15 2005, 01:41:05 AM
Even if we all don't think Wicked was amazing or saved Broadway (which I'm not really debating or agreeing with)... It probably should be acknowledged that Wicked was the first AMERICAN grand musical. Which gives it some importance, at least, and it can't really be glossed over.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You