News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for benpackard

Member Name: benpackard
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Mezzanine, my theater diary app, is available now on the App Store!
 Nov 5 2021, 02:50:27 PM

hearthemsing22 said: "How far back have people gone in the productions they’ve put down? I’m not sure if I should start with theatre reopening or before the lockdown…?"

Well some people have gone back decades, others are starting from now... so it's up to you! I will say that one good reason to add your full history is that the Stats tab under your profile will show you some cool charts and maps based on the shows you've seen over the years

Oct 29 2021, 09:01:53 AM

Alexander Lamar said: "Love this app! Signing up for the beta. "

Thank you and thank you!

Oct 28 2021, 11:10:30 PM

perfectliar said: "Is the update going to include a launch in the Play Store?"

Still no immediate plans for an Android app unfortunately. Sorry about that.

Oct 28 2021, 09:51:42 PM

Hi again everyone. I hope you are all enjoying the re-emergence of live theater. I caught the re-opening nights of JLP and Phantom last week and they were truly special theater memories.

Anyway, speaking of special memories... my theater diary app Mezzanine is about to launch a major update and, just like 18 months ago, I could use some help testing it. If you are a Mezzanine user, or are interested in becoming one, here's the link for the latest beta. If you are less adventurous but interested in the app, there is also the App Store version.

This version brings some social features to the app for the first time, including the ability to read your friends' theater reviews.

On a different and slightly more needy note, if you or anyone you know is involved with theater media in any way, I would love to get the word out to a wider audience. I can provide early access, some copy, screenshots, an interview, etc to anyone who might be interested in writing, vlogging, podcasting, or telling their mom about Mezzanine. You can message me on here or find my contact info in the footer at www.theaterdiary.com.

Thanks again to everyone here who has helped make Mezzanine what it is today. Excited to start this next chapter for the app.

Feb 6 2021, 02:28:13 PM

Is it possible to add a function where users can upload pictures or posters for a product that is not in the system / that they have manually added?"

Yes - when you are adding or editing a diary entry you can tap the small program image next to the show/theater/city fields to change the image to one of your own. Hope that helps!

What Happened to the Playbill App?
 Dec 26 2020, 03:33:47 PM
Hey, as the developer of Mezzanine, I would love to know if there is anything about the Playbill app that you miss. Always looking for things I can add or improve!
 Dec 26 2020, 02:44:52 PM
Thanks, that’s very kind. I spend a lot of time fussing over the UI without much experience in that area, so it’s lovey to get that feedback.
 Dec 25 2020, 12:07:35 PM
Thanks for trying it out!
 Jan 30 2020, 09:25:11 AM

confyde said: "Is there the possibility of adding a function where a user can upload an image or a poster for a production that isn't in the system / that they'veadded manually?"

Yes, I would like to add this feature. I have to be careful about any photo uploading because image hosting can get pretty expensive for a free app, but it is on my to-do list. In the meantime, I monitor all added productions and try to add artwork for any that pop up more than once

Jan 25 2020, 08:20:54 PM

seahag2 said: "ben, what are the possibilities of making a website version?"

It’s possible, but nothing planned for the immediate future unfortunately. 

Jan 25 2020, 07:20:10 PM

No plans in the near future unfortunately, only because I’ve been making apps for iOS for 10 years but have zero Android experience. I would love a chance (and the time) to learn to make an Android app though, so if the iOS app finds an audience and I finish adding most of the key features I’m planning, then I could see an Android app being next on the list. It’s definitely the most common request so I hear you for sure!

Jan 25 2020, 04:39:31 PM
It does, in fact you can add anything missing yourself manually if it’s not listed in the app.
 Jan 25 2020, 09:21:55 AM

Hi everyone,

Today I launched my new theater diary app, Mezzanine, on the App Store. The app was heavily influenced by the feedback I received here and via email from BWW testers, and it wouldn't be the app it is today without your help. Thank you!

You can see a few screenshots and download the app on the App Store here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1441959317?ls=1

For those of you who are new to Mezzanine, it's a free iPhone and iPad app that lets you log the shows you see, add ratings and reviews for each one, and build lists of shows (top tens, wish lists, etc). Think Letterboxd or GoodReads, but for theater.

I also recently added a feature that lets you scan a Playbill to have it automatically added to your diary - you can see it in action here: https://twitter.com/mezzanineapp/status/1197330020647260161

If you have been testing Mezzanine and now want to switch to the official release, simply download it from the App Store. Your account, diary entries, and lists will all be there just as you left them. You can of course also choose to remain a beta tester if you wish to keep early access to new features as they are added and want to continue shaping the app as it develops.

Again, thank you so much for all the suggestions and the encouragement along the way. This has been a labor of love for me and I'm excited to share it with a wider audience.

Mezzanine Theater Diary - Beta 9
 Jan 12 2020, 04:22:30 PM

If you open the app 'TestFlight' you should be able to update to the latest version. If you no longer have the TestFlight app installed see here - theaterdiary.com/beta

Mezzanine Theater Diary - Beta 9
 Oct 11 2019, 10:54:10 AM

Beta 9 is being released today:

• Many items in Mezzanine now display a preview and a quick-action menu when long-pressed (requires iOS 13).

• A long press on the app icon offers shortcuts to create a diary entry or add a show to one of your lists.

• Updated header style for programs.

• Fixed a bug where the bottom-most diary entry might appear shrunken until the diary is scrolled.

Looking for beta testers for Mezzanine, my new Theater Diary app
 Oct 3 2019, 12:10:24 PM

Toady's new Mezzanine beta includes lots of optimizations for iOS 13, including support for dark mode. Screenshots here.

Current beta users - remember to update Mezzanine manually via the 'TestFlight' app - it won't update automatically.

With this beta version, Mezzanine is entering public beta. If you know someone who might enjoy the app, be sure to send them over to www.theaterdiary.com

Sep 16 2019, 10:53:28 AM

Today's new beta of Mezzanine Theater Diary lets you add your own shows and productions if they're not in the search results. This opens up Mezzanine for storing all your Off-Broadway productions, tours, regional theater, and anything else you want to add to your diary.

You can also flag a performance as a Preview, First Preview, Opening Night, or Final Performance.

Thank you again to everyone who has tried out Mezzanine, especially those who have sent suggestions a

Aug 5 2019, 01:10:50 PM

- No, I believe you will need to re-open the 'TestFlight' app and update Mezzanine from there, similar to how you first installed it. Sorry, I should have been clearer about this. 

- Sea Wall/A Life is now added and should show up in the search results, thanks for suggesting it.

- Good point - I'm not sure if/how this feature will work in the released version of the app yet but I will try to factor in users without an email account. At the very least I shou

Aug 5 2019, 11:57:02 AM

Today's beta update adds some features requested on this thread and elsewhere - thanks so much for all the suggestions so far.

* Diary entries now include performance time. Matinee and Evening performances can be tagged in one tap, or you can pick from a full list of named options (All Day, Late, Midnight, etc) or enter a specific time manually. The performance time is also used to sort multiple diary entries on the same day.
* Diary entries can be saved without a month or a year (e.g. ‘Sometime in 1990&rsquo
* Diary entries can now be added for a date in the future.
* Diary entries include a general-purpose ‘notes’ field.
* A bunch of West End productions have been added to Mezzanine, with more to come.
* The production picker is a little smarter. It now prioritizes productions in cities where you have previously added diary entries. Still more work to do here as the database grows.
* You can now change your profile picture, update your name, and reset your password from the settings screen.
* When Mezzanine tells you to check your email for a verification link, it includes which email address the link was sent to.

Still open beta slots at www.theaterdiary.com/beta

Jul 17 2019, 08:38:51 PM
Added a bunch of West End shows this week - thanks for all the submissions of missing shows, keep em coming!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You