News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for b741ma

Member Name: b741ma
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Films That Should Be Stage Musicals
 Apr 20 2020, 05:12:02 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "So Obviously, it's been getting on everyone's nerves lately that pretty much every single big movie out there is being turned into Broadway musicals.

There of course have been several successful ones (The Full Monty, The Producers, Hairspray, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Spamalot, Legally Blonde, Billy Elliot, Shrek, Once, Kinky Boots, etc.), and there also have been some flops (Big, Cry-Baby, 9 to 5, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Ghost, Leap of Faith, Big Fish, etc.), and some more ether in development right now, or even coming soon (Ever After, Rocky, Magic Mike, Mean Girls, The Princess Bride, Amelie, Honeymoon in Vegas, Groundhog Day, etc.)

Though with all of that said, even some of the older musicals were based on movies (The King & I, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Oliver!, Applause, A Little Night Music, Nine, Little Shop of Horrors, La Cage aux Folles, Sunset Boulevard, etc.), so I've decided to write about some films that I think should be made into stage musicals, and here they are!

50/50
*Book By Jeff Whitty
*Music By Robert Lopez
*Lyrics By Kristen Anderson-Lopez

Basquiat
*Book By Doug Wright
*Music & Lyrics By Lin-Manuel Miranda

Edward Scissorhands
*Music By Duncan Shiek
*Book & Lyrics By Steven Slater

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
*Book By Marsha Norman
*Music By Jeanine Tesori
*Lyrics By Amanda Green

For Love of the Game
*Book By David Lindsay-Abaire
*Music & Lyrics By Jason Robert Brown

The Help
*Music By Stephen Flaherty
*Book & Lyrics By Lynn Ahrens

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/159706/audra-mcdonald-patti-lupone-aaron-tveit-more-lead-broadwaycoms-dream-cast-for-the-help-the-musical/

Hugo
*Book By John Logan
*Music By George Stiles
*Lyrics By Anthony Drewe

Lovelace
*Book By Douglas Carter Beane
*Music & Lyrics By Benji Pasek & Justin Paul

Silver Linings Playbook
*Book By Harvey Fierstein
*Music & Lyrics By Nell Benjamin & Laurence O'Keefe

Sixteen Candles
*Music By Tom Kitt
*Book & Lyrics By Brian Yorky

So what do you all think of these ideas? What are some (non-musical) films you'd like to see be turned into a Broadway musical? Who would you like to do the scores?
"

I just saw the film Arthur with Dudley Moore and Liza Minnelli and I thought it would make a great musical. There are so many moments in that film that just seemed ripe for musical accompaniment. I looked it up an unfortunately I found out someone already had the same idea as Arthur The Musical premiered in 1991 at the Goodspeed Opera House in Connecticut. It was written by David Crane and Marta Kaufmann who were the writing duo behind Friends which is pretty weird. I guess they could do it again but it seems highly unlikely. Oh well it was nice while it lasted and hey I got to bump up this thread so that's pretty cool.

Idina Menzel a 'Go' for Funny Girl?
 Jan 16 2020, 02:33:28 AM

haterobics said: "I love Idina, but isn't she way too old for the part? She's about twice Barbra's age when she played the role, no?"

If you're going to play that game and bring up how old Streisand was when she took up the role then I can just as convincingly make the argument that Streisand was way to young to play Dolly Levi. Streisand was 27 years old and in the original Broadway production Dolly Levi was played by several actresses (Carol Channin

What Musicals do you think should be performed more often in High Schools?
 Jan 15 2020, 04:43:55 PM
The YouTube channel Musical Theater Mash did a video entitled “Don’t do this show, Do this show” where he suggested alternatives to the most performed musicals in American high schools. Although some of his suggestions were extremely impractical (I don’t care how progressive your school may be. As great as it is, no high school is ever going to okay a production of Gypsy) several of them were very good and one in particular I liked very much. He suggested instead of doing Mary Poppins, schools s
 Jan 15 2020, 04:33:54 PM

cjmclaughlin10 said: "Agree on Pippin and Hair
Would also add Merrily We Roll Along, Barnum, Damn Yankees, Ragtime, A Funny Thing Happened On TheWay ToThe Forum, Grand Hotel, Spamalot, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,and Your A Good Man Charlie Brown
"

All the shows you said are great. My school did 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee a few years before I got there and it’s currently my favorite musical.

Jan 15 2020, 04:31:50 PM

Boq101 said: "There is also the worry that most of these schools have literally no budget from the school to put on these shows. My high school years in the early mid 2000's we lost lots of money doing Cabaret even though it was the best show I feel like we put together. We HAD to go Oliver next year because we could use costume the school already owned and the large cast plus casting kids from the middle school brought in more families to see the show.

"

Jan 15 2020, 04:28:00 PM

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Besides the challenge of most high schools not having enough students who can dance at the level required for A Chorus Line, “Dance Ten Looks Three” would not go over well in many communities, as well as Paul’s monologue."

I get what you’re saying and I can see how that might cause problems in some communities. And I may be slightly ill informed growing up in a very liberal area. But I’ve seen high schools perfor

Jan 15 2020, 04:19:51 PM

dramamama611 said: "There is no "should". Each school has to make the decisions right for them, based on a litany of things.

A Chorus Line is difficult for most schools since if you dont have great triple threats and a lot of them, you dont have a good show. Regardless of the absence of a set.

Ive only in my last 15 years, only produced 1 one those, so, Id say we already lesser done shows most of yhe time.

Shows weve done:
Millie
S

What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
 Dec 2 2019, 04:37:54 PM
musicaltheater1 said: "There was an off-Broadway production of the Joy Luck Club, the musical.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Flash_The_Joy_Luck_Club_Opens_Nov7_20071101
"

That wasn't a musical. That was a play with musical staging. If it was a musical they would've listed it as one.

I personally think The Joy Luck Club would make a great musical (I haven't read The Kitchen God's Wife). There's a lot of good characters, interesting themes and the book's multiple narrators and several intertwining vignettes would translate great to the musical world. So many of those chapters could become dramatic monologues or stirring songs. It would also be nice to see more Broadway roles for Asian women.

What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
 Dec 2 2019, 04:31:49 PM
actionjaxson91 said: "Carrie proved that this was a bad idea."

That's one example of a musical based on a book not turning out well. Some of the greatest Broadway musicals of all times were based on books. South Pacific, The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, and Les Miserables were all based on books. If done right they can turn out to be very good.

What happened to the
 Nov 15 2019, 05:59:19 PM
Queen Alice

I'm not too familiar with the show but I watch a youtube chanel that talks about different Broadway musicals and they did a video on The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. From what they said it seems to me like some parts of the show have aged very well while other parts haven't so much. On the one hand it presents a positive representation of sex workers, highlights the injustice of prostitutes being punished for their work while the men who benefit from their service get of

Attention all Fans of Fan Casting: I just started a page on MyCast.io for A Chorus Line Live!
 Nov 12 2019, 03:58:45 PM
I didn't know that Ryan Murphy was adapting A Chorus Line for a ten part series. Seems kind of weird to me to turn it into a ten-part series but okay.

Even so that's no reason not to do some fancasting. I do fancasting all the time for shows and projects that I know will never happen. It can be fun to just speculate sometimes.

Attention all Fans of Fan Casting: I just started a page on MyCast.io for A Chorus Line Live!
 Nov 12 2019, 11:11:50 AM
I've always loved Fan Casting. So much so that I've considered becoming a casting director. I recently started a new project on MyCast.io, a fan casting website. Someone I watch online who posts videos about Broadway musicals said that A Chorus Line! might work great as a Live Television Musical. She said that A Chorus Line! deserved far better than it's 1985 film adaption and that it might be a perfect fit for live TV. I started a page on MyCast.io for fan casting A Chorus Line Live! (You can find it here: https://www.mycast.io/stories/a-chorus-line-live ) and people have already started making suggestions for the roles. If you click on the link you can see which actors have been suggested for what roles and if you create an account you can upvote or downvote others suggestions or make your own suggestions. I highly reccomend doing this as it's very fun and there's the off chance that some producer might be taking a look and take your suggestion to heart.
 Nov 3 2019, 03:16:43 PM

According to NPR the most performed musicals in high schools are:

• 1. The Addams Family
  • 2. Mamma Mia!
  • 3. The Little Mermaid
  • 4. Beauty and the Beast
  • 5. Mary Poppins
  • 6. Newsies
  • 7. Little Shop of Horrors
  • 8. Seussical
  • 9. Into the Woods
  • 10. Shrek The Musical (tie)
Are there any broadway musicals that pay homage to the 1930s movie musicals starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers?
 Aug 26 2019, 12:08:25 AM

This guy I watch online was talking about how the Broadway musicals Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Drowsy Chaperone were both homages to the musicals of the 1920s. So I was wondering if they were any broadway musicals which paid homage to the next decade of musicals the 1930s. More specifically the films of dancing duo Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers who made 10 films together during that time period. The only large scale Astaire-Rogers homage I can think of is the homage/parody Hi

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You