News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GhostLite

Member Name: GhostLite
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HAIR is Coming Back to Broadway; Tour to Play St. James July 5 - September
 Apr 14 2011, 10:58:39 AM
>>Why is everyone so worried about the business aspects?>>

Because that's the main reason this show is returning - business. The decision to return to Broadway less than a year after it closed is strictly financial for both producers & theatre owners. Not to mention the management team at the Public under a great deal of heat lately for recent Broadway financial failures.

We as an industry have every right to dissect the financial pros/cons of this decision.

HAIR is Coming Back to Broadway; Tour to Play St. James July 5 - September 10
 Apr 13 2011, 03:23:45 PM
"And, besides, the crowd during that time will mostly be tourists, and Hair is a recognizable name and a great show. It'll do fine business"

This is the same Hair that couldn't make it through Summer of Love 2010 and closed after Memorial Day.

It really comes down to which HAIR will be present: 1) the post-2009 Hair that grossed over $1million per week thanks to the Tony Award, 2) the HAIR grossing less than $400K less than a year go. With balcony seats only $37, my guess i

Apr 13 2011, 01:05:28 PM
Correct, DottieD'Luscia. I'm referring to total seats per week (8 shows)

It's good to know people are "excited" for this show to return, but will that yield ticket sales. And there's no guarantee this show becomes all profit, because regardless of whatever personnel deals are made on this show, the nut should remain similar the Hirschfeld version unless there is a great concession happening that the public is not privy too. By estimates, this show will still need to gross $600-$600K t

Apr 13 2011, 11:49:04 AM
I'm scratching my head at this decision. I understand the need to fill a dark house, and glad it keeps hardworking theatrical professionals employed over the summer. I'm just curious how this will sell.

When Hair closed summer 2010, it was only filling an 11,000 seat house to the tune of 70%, pulling in an average ticket price of just over $60. Now, they're moving into a 13,000 seat house with almost no momentum. One can argue that winter/spring 2010 was a result of the momentum pu

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3
 Apr 4 2011, 05:49:42 PM
I would agree that shows like LaCage and Addams Family are well below the bar here. You can never count out the Weissler's when it comes to star casting, so you never know if they'll push their chips all in and try and find someone to replace Harvey or if they close up shop when his contract ends (according to the earlier post here about a possible May 8 end date)

It's a shame to see Addams Family dip below $600K and 60% capacity so soon after Roger went into the show. It would have b

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13
 Mar 14 2011, 06:25:31 PM
I certainly hope that AF doesn't drop similar to LaCage and American Idiot, two current productions proving that the title doesn't sell, the right star does. Or the right star in the right show. Mamma Mia and Mary Poppins have each sustained long runs thanks to international tourists and family branding, respectively, so I'm not necessarily sure where AF goes from here. The next few weeks/months will certainly be important in AF's future, in my opinion. Can Bebe hold her own or must the male l
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13
 Mar 14 2011, 04:53:12 PM
I think averagebwaynut is putting some nice spin on the AF numbers. AF was the only "open" musical on the boards playing to 8 shows that dropped w/e 3/13. Dropping $90K isn't chump change especially in a week when everyone else is up. The theory above AF drop last week is a continuation of Nathan's final week, and if Roger Rees won't necessarily provide a boost to sales on his name alone (along with Bebe) then where will the audiences come from? Shows like Phantom, Billy Elliott, Mamma Mia
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You