News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Broadway61004

Member Name: Broadway61004
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Who's Tommy - Tony winner: 1993 Best Original Score  May 3 2024, 03:58:07 PM

theatreguy said: "Adding to Ermengarde's list, T.S. Eliot also won Best Book for Cats which is wild. That award should have gone to Trevor Nunn and Andrew Lloyd Webber."

Actually, that award SHOULD have gone to literally anything other than Cats. But yes, if they were awarding that abomination of a show, Trevor Nunn and ALW should have been the recipients.

Best Group of Best Musical Nominees  May 1 2024, 02:19:03 PM

Wick3 said: "Ensemble1713124420 said: "2004 was pretty good:

• Avenue Q
  • Wicked
  • Caroline, or Change
  • The Boy from Oz (don’t know this show but I suspect it’s the weak link of thatyear)

"

I second this but there were no weak links that year.From what I recall, there was no clear frontrunner and any of those shows could ha

Best Group of Best Musical Nominees  May 1 2024, 01:42:55 PM

One interesting thing to look at is what would have been nominated back when they only announced winners prior to 1956. For instance, 1955 likely would have had a lineup of Pajama Game (winner), The Boy Friend, Silk Stockings and Peter Pan, which would have been a great group. 

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 11:58:29 AM

Broadway Flash said: "It didn’t stop them from awarding Kenny Leon for directing the same show twice. That was ridiculous"

Yes, and there was a lot of backlash when that happened. It feels like they're trying to avoid future examples of that.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 11:27:32 AM

Sammy232 said: "Lavieboheme3090 said: "I still would have given "Here Lies Love" a best musical nomination. But glad they were noticed for score."

I agree. What I find most shocking is no nom for Alex Timbers.
"

I feel like there was a bit of "we're not going to recognize folks for work they did a decade-plus ago here" going on this morning. Same with Des for Tommy (even though it's a new production, it's s

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 12:05:48 AM

I was robbed for sitting on my couch which was still more Tony worthy than Back to the Future.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 22 2024, 10:24:59 AM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I know atleast two nominators that HATED Cabaret"

This is what I mean. To be clear, I agree with everyone that it is probably going to get nominated. But it does feel like there is a lot of genuine hatred for this production in the NY industry and the whole concept behind it, and we've seen in the past some folks intentionally push shows like that down their ballot (even if they truthfully liked it better than Spamalot, Gutenberg, e

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 21 2024, 11:56:46 PM

Not to overreact to tonight's reviews, but....do we think there's actually a chance Cabaret could get left out of revival? All the buzz around this production lately is starting to feel a lot less like "we hate the show" and more "we hate everything about the idea of this production" (between the prices, the London overhype, the immersive aspects, that they felt the need to reinvent this show again, etc). And we've seen in the past when that happens with shows,

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 21 2024, 02:39:54 PM

TotallyEffed said: "It’s a Tony winning role."

And starting with that, 9 of the last 18 winners in that category have gone to comedic roles. So no, there is no bias against comedic performers in this category.

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024  Apr 21 2024, 11:33:45 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The Des ruling situation is similar to Scott Ellis for SHE LOVES ME (also directed the 90s revival) andArthur Laurents for LuPone GYPSY (also directed the Lansbury and Daly revivals). As long as the production isn't a recreation of what was done previously, the Tonys will be pretty lenient. Hiring a different choreographer and set designer is basically enough to say "it's not a carbon copy!""

The one difference wit

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 20 2024, 02:15:57 PM

I feel like Water for Elephants is going to end up doing a lot better than a lot of us are expecting. Comparatively, it ended up being one of the better received shows (not a high bar this year, but still) and folks like Rick Elice and Jessica Stone are very beloved in the industry. That should be enough to land it in Best Musical and potentially even Book, Score and Direction, in addition to the design awards.

Gold Derby: Time for the Tonys and Oliviers of recognize hair, wig, and makeup artists  Apr 12 2024, 02:41:41 PM

Here's the thing, though: there are so many categories like this that could be added, where do we stop? If we have an award for hair and makeup designers, then where's the award for projection designers, props designers, automated lighting designers, puppet designers. Then do we get into recognizing best scene charge artist, master electrician, etc. Choreography vs fight choreography. Orchestrations vs conductor and music director. The list goes on and on and all of those folks are de

Cabaret stunt casting  Apr 12 2024, 02:30:46 PM

Joel Grey as Sally and Liza as the Emcee.

Rialto Chatter: Will OH, MARY! and JOB Transfer to Broadway?  Apr 11 2024, 04:17:54 PM

I'm sorry, but Oh, Mary is not a Broadway show. That isn't a bad thing nor does it mean it's not great. But trying to sell that as a commercial run in a Broadway house is insane. And the show will 100% lose its charm in a house bigger than 250 seats. Teeth, Here We Are, All the Devils are Here--all phenomenal Off Broadway shows over the past year that are also completely wrong for a Broadway house. We need to get over this stigma of "everything good has to play Broadway"

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Apr 11 2024, 10:17:11 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "You can tell it's from a different time in Broadway cause it came out after the movie and is not based on the movie.

Which nowadays they would scramble to make sure they could base it on the James Cameron movie.
"

It actually came out before the movie. Same year, but the musical opened in April and the movie didn't come out until December.

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Apr 11 2024, 09:36:54 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I have a possibly inflammatory question about Titanic…

is it a good musical?

It is truly never talked about so I have no consensus on how people feel about it and I have never seen it.
"

Titanic is an absolutely beautiful score with a horrendous book and a concept that is almost impossible to stage effectively, regardless of how big your stage or budget is. That's why I feel Encores is the perfect

2024 Tony Awards  Apr 9 2024, 04:06:30 PM

Kad said: "The Tonys have become far better about aligning leading and supporting roles with the appropriate categories, particularly after such embarrassing things like putting Mary Beth Peil in featured actress for the ‘85 revival of The King and I for playing Anna. I can’t really recall a modern precedent for a clear lead being put in featured or vice versa because of billing."

To be fair, there wasn't a leading category in 1985, so they h

Stage Door Experiences Lately  Apr 8 2024, 07:33:09 PM

LuckyDipster said: "Looking at your list, I don't imagine you would be interested in seeing Back To The Future,but I want to mention their stage door experience anyway because they are superb at it. Almost everyone comes out to sign and have a chat and they occasionally do backstage tours."

I see Broadway Flash has recruited you to work for Back to the Future too?

2024 Tony Awards  Apr 6 2024, 01:50:41 PM

Broadway Flash said: "Wow you’re forgetting key people like Jeremy Jordan, Casey Likes, Corey Cott, Andrew Rannells, Josh Gad. I don’t think Bourzgui is lead, is he?
I also think that the two guys from back to the future both get in Roger Bart, Huge Coles.
"

Rannells and Gad are going to cancel each other out, I'm afraid. Jordan and Cott would have to get phenomenal notices to even be in the running. I have a better chance of being nominated for s

Who has had the most 1000 show runs on Broadway?  Apr 4 2024, 01:58:08 PM

The8re phan said: "By including that, surely Kander & Ebb would rightfully qualify as well --- Cabaret (2 different productions, each playing 1000+ perfs on Broadway), Chicago, and Fosse"

Definitely. And I agree there's a big difference between writing 4 different shows and having your music incorporated in different revues and/or revivals. But just another interesting thing to look at.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You