News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SDSUMFAmusthea2

SDSUMFAmusthea2 Profile Photo
Member Name: SDSUMFAmusthea2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: MFA Musical Theatre
 Apr 15 2011, 06:01:18 PM
Hello All!

My name is Kati Donovan, and I am currently an MFA candidate in San Diego State University's Musical Theatre program. I wanted to write back to correct and clarify the information out there about graduate programs in Musical Theatre.

Officially--- the program at San Diego State University is the ONLY remaining Musical Theatre MFA in the nation. Many programs abroad offer MAs and MMs in Musical Theatre, but none offer the terminal degree (MFA). The other national programs usually listed in these kinds of conversations have closed, or stopped accepting applications, indefinitely due to budgetary reasons. And the difference between an MA or MM and an MFA is the fact that only the MFA is a terminal degree (meaning final, or highest degree in that field). Most tenure-track teaching positions at the collegiate level require a terminal degree for application. The program at SDSU accepts between 6 and 10 students every two years. It is a four-semester program, with courses in:

Musical Theatre History
Dance History
Directing
Synthesis (Studio)
Vocal lessons & coaching
Jazz, Tap & Dance Rep
Research & Bibliography
among others.

SDSU's MFA program will be accepting applications for the class of 2014, starting in October 2011. For more information or to contact the program, check out the school's website:

http://theatre.sdsu.edu/html/academics/musmfa.htm

You may also follow the current MFA Musical Theatre class (2012) on Twitter:

SDSUMFAmusthea

Also I'm happy to answer any and all questions about the program, or for anyone considering advanced degrees in musical theatre.

Best,

Kati

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You