News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Dubliner

Member Name: Dubliner
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Josefina Gabrielle - Oklahoma  Aug 14 2019, 09:03:14 AM

She's very good. I liked her in Oklahoma!. She was a very fine Anna in a touring production of The King and I a few years ago and she was sensational as Gussie in Merrily We Roll Along.

Classic Performances You HAVE seen  Apr 21 2017, 09:03:13 PM

Original Abbey Theatre cast of Dancing at Lughnasa

Marie Mullen and Anna Manahan in The Beauty Queen of Leenane

Donal McCann in The Steward of Christendom

Sinead Cusack in Our Lady of Sligo and Our Few and Evil Days

Judi Dench in A Little Night Music

Hugh Jackman in Oklahoma!

The History Boys

Michael Ball in Hairspray 

Fiona Shaw in Medea

Cillian Murphy and Eileen Walsh in Disco Pigs

Oliver! Revival  Mar 7 2016, 05:27:12 PM

It's such a pity no-one uses the original Sean Kenny set - it was one of the great wonders of the theatrical world.

An Adele musical?  Feb 4 2016, 02:29:13 PM

I think she'd be a great Nancy in Oliver!

Brian Friel, playwright, dies  Oct 2 2015, 05:49:19 PM

Not to mention Translations where he convinced us that the Irish characters were speaking Irish and the English, English with everyone speaking in English. Creating both Gar Public and Gar Private must have been hugely innovative when Philadelphia, Here I Come! was new.

Brian Friel, playwright, dies  Oct 2 2015, 09:34:12 AM

So many wonderful memories. My favourite was back in 1990 when I was a new theatregoer and saw the very first production of Dancing at Lughnasa at the Abbey. The set with its beautiful cornfield wreathed in golden light created magic from the moment you entered the theatre. By the time Frances Tomelty's Aunt Kate took Barry McGovern's Father Jack by the elbow and gently steered him through the cornfield at the interval everyone knew they were seeing the birth of a masterpiece. I have

Favorite walzes from musicals  Dec 28 2014, 10:45:30 AM
Isn't Shall We Dance a polka?
Oliver! Revival?  Dec 20 2014, 11:16:38 AM
The Sean Kenny set is still one of the wonders of the theatrical world. I wish they would start using it again.

An American in Paris first performance  Dec 19 2014, 06:32:16 PM
Its quite simple - just bare flats at the side and the stage is left mostly free for the dance. Its very low tech and much the better for it. There are various cut out pieces that are flown in like perspectives of the Hausmann boulevards that are cleverly arranged in different ways to create different locales. These are then projected on, sometimes in a very vague way and sometimes with more more detail. They are subtly animated so they come to life as sketches or watercolours. The whole effect
An American in Paris first performance  Dec 1 2014, 05:56:20 AM
I saw this in Paris last night and its ravishing - the French audience adored it. Its really in terrific shape for six performances into an out-ot-town tryout. The choreography is out of this world. Some of the ballets - the main one and an exquisite one set in Galleries Lafayette are nearly complete shows in their own right. The book (which is lovely and simple and perfectly in tune with the era it is set in - no irony or knowingness) may be tightened a little before Broadway. All the principal
Male Hello Dolly  Jul 2 2014, 03:31:14 AM
There was a West End run in the eighties starring Danny La Rue at the Prince of Wales.

Films That Should Be Stage Musicals  Jan 10 2014, 04:00:54 AM
August Rush - not a great movie but such great potential for a musical based around the derelict theatre.
What is your favorite flop?  Jan 10 2014, 03:55:46 AM
Passion
Ethan McSweeny  Sep 13 2013, 06:03:16 PM
We in Dublin have been blessed this summer by a glorious production of A Streetcar Named Desire directed by Ethan McSweeny at The Gate Theatre. A play that everyone thought they knew well has come across as a visceral and deeply moving experience with an unforgettable Blanche from Lia Williams. I would be grateful if American theatergoers might share their views on some of his other productions as this is the first time we have seen his work in Ireland.

Have there been any attempts to get a GONE WITH THE WIND musical to broadway ?  Jul 29 2013, 04:12:30 PM
There have been two major attempts in London. Both failed so I think its unlikely.
Who is your favourite Mrs Lovett? And why?  Apr 13 2013, 09:46:02 AM
Did anyone get to see Caroline O'Connor in Paris?

Who is your favourite Mrs Lovett? And why?  Apr 12 2013, 11:06:15 AM
I abosolutely loved Anita Reeves at the Dublin Gate. Scary and hilarious in a lilac wig. I liked Imelda Staunton too.
THE TESTAMENT OF MARY previews  Apr 7 2013, 06:26:44 PM
Oh dear the production sounds rather gimmicky. In Dublin Garry Hynes set it in a simple hut with a tented roof that extended over the audience. Mary just had a table and chairs. There was no vulture and no bathing. I wonder is the script very different? In Dublin it was called just Testament and she was just called Woman. The book had not been published at the time.

Protestors outside of The Testament Of Mary  Mar 27 2013, 07:16:01 AM
No the play is based on the Virgin Mary's life in Ephesus after the Gospels. I've seen the original Garry Hynes/Marie Mullen production in Dublin. It is challenging and presents Mary as a complex and real human being. It asserts that she is being controlled by the apostles and that her views on Jesus life are being distorted by them for their own purposes. I would not however consider it blasphemous or controversial. The reaction in Dublin was mature and considered and there were no protests.
Best show logos/artwork....  Mar 6 2013, 06:01:51 PM
Thats hilarious - I've been looking at that artwork for years and I still wouldn't have seen them except for your post!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You