News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jas1234

Member Name: jas1234
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BEETLEJUICE Previews  Apr 4 2019, 12:25:05 AM

Didn't know what to expect from "Beetlejuice" but I really had a fun time this evening at the show.  I think Alex Timbers is an inventive, smart director who has pulled out all the stops for this one.  I've loved his work from "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" to "Peter and the Starcatcher" to "Here Lies Love" to "Oh Hello!" and I hear "Moulin Rouge" is pretty damn good.  I also credit the creatives in that this d

Beetlejuice vs. Tootsie vs. Ain't Too Proud  Mar 5 2019, 09:37:18 AM

Friends in D.C. really had a lot of fun at "Beetlejuice" when it was at the National last fall.   And I've loved the inventive work of Alex Timbers, who has staged "Oh, Hello!", "Peter and the Starcatcher", "Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson" and "Here Lies Love"...I'd go for the Juice.

Network or Ferryman  Oct 20 2018, 08:49:14 AM

Definitely The Ferryman over Network, it's a superior script and the kind of ensemble you rarely see on the stage, beautifully directed by Sam Mendes.  "Network" pales in comparison to the film but Bryan Cranston is excellent.  It's a lively production but a superficial adaptation of what was, arguably, an incisive and compelling film.  You should also consider "The Lifespan of a Fact" (lots of fun and brilliantly acted), "The Waverly Gallery (t

NETWORK-NATIONAL THEATRE BENEFIT  Sep 5 2018, 03:37:48 PM

Those prices are pretty steep.   Will there be a student rush?  I agree that they should use some of the benefit funds to subsidize less expensive seats so that "students" of all ages can see the play.  Otherwise, I'd be mad as hell...

Cranston  Aug 31 2018, 10:10:10 AM

Hear it's moving to the Belasco from people involved with the production.  Jimmy Smits on board to play Max and Tatania Maslany to play Diana though they went after Michelle Williams.  Roles played by Douglas Henshall and Michelle Dockery, big names in London.  Wonder if the dining area will be used.

ON THE TOWN SUCCESS  Sep 7 2015, 07:11:25 AM

If these reports are true, I feel sad for the investors who didn't secure any return on the funds they put into the production.  The connection between art and business is such a tricky one.  I'm sure they were proud of the show, but to have lost money over and above the initial funding is not good producing- no matter the quality of the production, it speaks to either vanity or arrogance to keep a production open under those circumstances.  I am happy that the artists

ON THE TOWN SUCCESS  Sep 6 2015, 11:10:44 PM

I believe it ran longer than any other production than the original 1944.  Two recent Broadway revivals of the show lost their entire investment.  I assume that since this ran almost a year the investors either made a profit or secured a good return.  And kudos to the entire creative team that made this show a success!

Which Musical would you love to see NBC or FOX do live next?  Sep 4 2015, 09:10:19 AM

The movies of West Side Story and The Music Man are so good and Preston's performance in the latter is so iconic.  WSS lends itself more to a stage revival (yes, again!);  Music Man is very much of its time,  I saw it with Dick Van Dyke in the 80's (boring!) and then on Broadway with Craig Bierko (okay), not sure that it would work on Broadway today but on television...perhaps.   Didn't Matthew Broderick do it several years ago?  The book really needs

Falsettos  Aug 28 2015, 06:31:19 AM

Any one heard that this might not be coming in this year.  A friend at the management office of "The Crucible" said that production was going to play the Walter Kerr, which had been rumored to be the home for "Falsettos."

What to do?  Jun 13 2014, 09:43:21 AM
On the Town is in a cavernous house and not sure how it will play there. Better to see The Elephant Man and perhaps the new Sting musical The Last Ship.
All the Way Rear Mezz seats? Worth it?  Jun 13 2014, 09:14:38 AM
Had a different experience. I was three rows from the last row in the balcony and was completely involved and engrossed by the play. One man's opinion-- but I think it's a work that will continue to resonate about one of the most important years in American history.
RIP Ruby Dee  Jun 13 2014, 09:10:20 AM
And a brilliant comedienne too. Her role in "Gone Are The Days" (based on her husband's play 'Purlie Victorious') is so delicious as the innocent Lutiebelle.
CONTEST: YOUR 2014 Tony Award Upset Predictions!  Jun 8 2014, 12:15:25 PM
Glass Menagerie- Best Revival
All the Way- Best Play
After Midnight- Best Musical
Violet- Best Musical Revival

A Tony voter speaks: I'm not voting for Neil Patrick Harris  Jun 4 2014, 09:56:22 PM
You mean like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" last season which won the Tony for Revival, Direction and Actor, with Tracy Letts winning over Nathan Lane and Tom Hanks, who originated roles and were in plays still running. I believe your statement has some holes in it.
act one or casa valencia for Best Play Tony?  May 18 2014, 08:09:07 PM
Probably should have included "All the Way" in the equation. Just forgot to do so. I thought it was a very engrossing, smart play and beautifully done. Perhaps it will take the Tony.
act one or casa valencia for Best Play Tony?  May 18 2014, 01:01:58 PM

2014 Drama League Nominations  May 16 2014, 09:19:56 PM
I think this may be a foreshadowing of the Tony Awards.
Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here  Apr 30 2014, 09:55:25 PM
It's inevitable that there are going to be disappointments in nominations. I was surprised (not disappointed) that Andrea Martin was not nominated for her wonderful turns in Act One; Brandon J. Dirden was not nominated for his stirring Martin Luther King in "All the Way"; Marin Mazzie for her expert performance in "Bullets on Broadway"; Michael Hall for his funny and poignant performance in "The Realistic Jones"; and "The Realistic Jones"--I truly enjoyed the play, for me it was a wonderfully h
Bridges of Madison County: Kelli O'Hara at Barnes & Noble  Apr 30 2014, 12:03:40 PM
This should be so wonderful. Kelli is a wonder and we're making plans to be there!
Great PR  Apr 28 2014, 06:18:52 AM
Very shrewd public relations move...the timing couldn't be better since the Tony nominating committee meets today. Let's hope they are not influenced by this or large ads in the Sunday Times (i.e. Cripple and Raisin in the Sun) and keep an open mind. My choices for Outstanding Revival would, however, include Glass as well as Winslow Boy, Machinal,No Man's Land and Of Mice and Men. So many worthy choices.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You