News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ryankon

Member Name: ryankon
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

May 9 2019, 05:47:37 PM

The production really is stunning.  Arin Arbus has done a masterful job navigating the complex waters of the relationship between Frankie and Johnny.  It's an absolute master class in acting and chemistry between performers but Arbus should be credited for bringing such complex and beautiful life to the piece(along with the intimacy director, whom I presume has done a stellar job as well since the production feels seamless and startling in its intimacy).  

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY Previews
 May 5 2019, 11:29:21 AM

I was there last night as well and had a similar response to romain2.  By the end of the evening I didn't want to say goodbye to these two characters.  The cumulative power of the play is quite overwhelming.  I was crying and didn't quite know why--but I believe it's because I was filled with a sense of hope for these two people but also overwhelmed by the beauty of what I'd just seen.   Two extraordinary actors playing off each other in a gorgeou

Tootsie - Chicago tryout
 Sep 17 2018, 10:44:02 PM

There is a serious problem with Tootsie that people are glossing over: it's distressingly retro in that this supposedly feminist tale is told thru a man's eyes.  Why are we so dependent on men to give us our feminist awakening?  At the time the film was made this was a more forgivable sin--but in 2018 it's bothersome.  Very.  All the good intentions in the world don't erase the fact that Tootsie relies on a man to give us our feminist awakening.  That&

NYT Offensive reviews
 Jul 27 2018, 11:49:14 PM

She is by far the best critic working today.  Thoughtful, witty, culturally sensitive, probing and still in love with the form.  I look forward to her reviews, even when I disagree with them.  Brantley's review of HOH was deeply offensive and frankly I think his apology was limp. It did not meaningfully reflect soul searching or someone who had been educated by an incident of deep insensitivity.  There was an article in (I believe) American Theatre

Riedel on Head Over Heels being on thin ice
 Jul 27 2018, 11:38:16 PM

It's not cheesy.  It's kind.  Creative pursuits require courage and determination.  It's a difficult and very public business.  People try and succeed with varying degrees of success.  It's admirable that you don't delight in the failure of others.  People are pursuing their dreams.  It's sad when those dreams are not realized.  

GETTIN' THE BAND BACK TOGETHER Previews
 Jul 27 2018, 11:35:12 PM

Couldn't disagree more.  HEAD OVER HEELS is silly, subversive fun that is marked by craft and ambition(presenting a first trans leading lady is an and of itself worthy of respect).  BAND aims low and, yes, on rare occasions it hits its mark but it's awful. 

Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
 Jun 30 2017, 06:18:04 AM

I agree with everyone who has said that comparisons of Midler and Murphy are unnecessary as it's apples and oranges.  I worship at the alter of Midler so feel privileged to have seen her as Dolly.  But in truth, Murphy rocked my world.  She was heartbreaking, hilarious, passionate, sexy and vocally in top form.  I can't wait to see her again.  I've always been a fan.  This cements her place as one of our greats.  It's an absolute tr

ANASTASIA Previews
 Mar 28 2017, 11:12:57 PM

Count me in as one of those who loved Anastasia.  I truly love the show.  The score is gorgeous and melodic--the book is economical and brilliantly constructed.  Gleb's arc gives necessary voice to both history and an alternative voice to the story of the Romanovs--more specifically he puts forth revolutionary ideals that might have been dumbed down in another writing team's hands.  The sense of adventure, the search for identity, the deep love of musical

An open letter to HELLO, DOLLY!
 Mar 19 2017, 08:34:34 PM

Truly love this post, Dolli Pop.

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
 Mar 18 2017, 06:04:30 PM

Queen Alice, I agree with you.  I'm a feminist.  Haven't we seen enough stories of bad behaving men seeing the light at the 11th hour?  I think we've moved beyond that place.  He's a boor.  He (sort of) changes his behavior.  And we need this story for what reason?  The whole experience made me uncomfortable.   There is certainly a great deal of talent on that stage...but my days of accepting scraps from men behaving badly 

Glass Menagerie returning?
 Feb 2 2017, 11:55:02 PM

Totally agree with an earlier poster's comments: A great play with great performances in a great production is always welcome, as far as I'm concerned. 

And to echo what someone else said, having seen Gold's recent OTHELLO I'm look forward to seeing this production.  

I was initially dubious but now can't wait.  

1984 coming to Broadway!
 Feb 2 2017, 11:49:35 PM

While the idea of bringing this at this moment in time is great, having seen this production it's hugely disappointing.  Brutal, yes.  But oddly hollow and unsatisfying.  

Audra to make her West End debut in Lady Day
 Feb 2 2017, 11:47:41 PM

It's going to happen and I can't wait.  It's an astonishing performance that just deepened with the run.  I'm thrilled our friends across the pond will finally get to see it. 

ANASTASIA Casting Announced
 Feb 2 2017, 11:44:03 PM

I've seen both Anastasia and Groundhog Day.  Anastasia was very good but needs some work.  Groundhog Day?  Annoying and--with the exception of some genuine laughs--seriously derivative.  Pay attention to the score and tell me it didn't rip off Mary Poppins(i'm serious--listen closely).  

I've thought a lot about why I didn't like Groundhog Day and I think the primary reason is it's yet another story about a bad behaving guy turned good.

THE FRONT PAGE Previews
 Oct 23 2016, 01:43:18 AM

Agree, if not for Lane and Morse I'd call this production close to disastrous.  My performance had numerous walkouts.  The woman next to me at the end of the second act turned to me and said "please tell me it's over."  When I said no, she and her bf had a fight and reluctantly stayed.  He slept through the third (and best) act.  A parade of misogyny, a group of wonderful actors all seeming to be in a different play, a high energy play that has no pr

Groundhog Day presale
 Oct 23 2016, 01:21:37 AM

Curious to see how this show is received.  I saw it the night prior to opening at the Old Vic and was seriously underwhelmed.  Charming performance by Karl, some clever illusions but the first 45 minutes or so felt completely static, the opening of the second act comes out of nowhere and the experience felt somewhat hollow.  Some laughs and certainly craft on stage but nothing as good as Matlida and I don't think it will survive deeper scrutiny.  This assessment s

China Doll Previews Thread
 Oct 29 2015, 12:59:32 AM

It's as bad as everyone says it is.  A colossal waste of talent, time, real estate and other peoples money.  

The Bandstand Previews
 Oct 17 2015, 12:07:16 AM

Very pleased to have seen this show tonight at Paper Mill Playhouse.  Yes, it needs work.  But more importantly the seeds of a completely original musical are being planted at the Paper Mill and something special appears to be flowering.  The score is terrific--a big band sound with lilting melodies.  The cast is strong, with a sensational performance by Laura Osnes.  Blankenbuehler's work is excellent--the piece moves beautifully.  There are of course issues

Casa Valentina Previews
 Apr 7 2014, 10:07:33 AM
Interesting...I think this is going to divide people. I thought Birney was sensational--giving yet another beautifully textured performance. Tom McGowan is always good and I thought the rest of the ensemble was solid. The production was gorgeous. But frankly for me, the play's the thing and this is where by biggest issues lie: I believe it was Whizzer who said he found some sections boring. I had the same issue(and certainly audience members around me were restless). More pointedly, there
the Realistic Joneses
 Mar 31 2014, 11:07:39 PM
Perhaps it was better with a different cast or in a smaller venue but with this cast in a Broadway house it was torture. I heard angry comments on the way out and although I didn't leave angry I left mystified and frustrated. It was boring and pretentious. Hugely disappointing.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You