News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Alex the Cat

Alex the Cat Profile Photo
Member Name: Alex the Cat
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The 'Official' Good-Bye thread to the Edies (GREY GARDENS)
 Jul 29 2007, 03:44:47 PM
I can’t begin to describe how deeply affected my husband and I have been by this show. We’ve been fortunate enough to see it 3 times, and each time discovered something new… and both of us ended up in tears each time. Thank you to the incredible cast for giving so much of yourselves- you made this show something that will live within all its fans for ‘years and years and years’: of course the incredible leading ladies, for whom there will never be enough superlatives; Bob Stillman as George
re: re: re: re: re: re: With the success of Mel's movie
 Mar 12 2004, 10:35:50 PM
Just when I had completely given up on this board... Dollypop saves the day! Mel Stottlemyre is absolutely the best Mel ever.
re: re: re: Golda's Balcony
 Mar 12 2004, 10:31:21 PM
Not fun to be in the minority, then? How awful to be insulted like that- I can't imagine what you must have gone through...
re: re: mel gibson
 Mar 8 2004, 10:27:35 PM
Obviously many other people than Mr. Foxman have chronicled the viciously anti-Semitic view of this movie... and Mr. Foxman's comments were taken out of context. Frank Rich did an excellent column in yesterday's NY Times (Frank Rich being the columnist whom Gibson said he wanted to see dead, with his 'intestines on a stick', etc.) about the hypocrisy of Gibson. This is a person who has yet to come out and say that he disagrees with his beloved father, one of the world's foremost Holocaust revis
re: A Fiddler's Night Music Memoirs
 Mar 5 2004, 08:13:10 PM
I am almost dreading seeing this show now... I see it on St. Patrick's Day, which is almost fitting I guess. I will never ever ever again buy tix for a show that are discounted as soon as they go on sale! I see 'Producers' the night before- I could've saved myself the price of a hotel room and taken the train home after that.

Thanks for the review, Robbie- sounds like one of the other reviews I read (think it was the Washington Post) which called it 'Violinist on the Veranda'. Aarrrg

re: re: Color-blind casting
 Feb 23 2004, 07:04:23 PM
Some interesting thoughts here... 'Henry IV' at Lincoln Center had African-American actors, such as the wonderful Audra Macdonald... also some characters spoke with an English accent and others with American accents... although of course in the time it was written it would have been acted entirely by Englishmen. This didn't distract me or change the character of the play at all, at least for me.

I think the key here is- is the race/ethnicity of the characters central to the story and the

re: Fiddler
 Feb 21 2004, 12:10:54 AM
Sorry, Elvis- I just can't agree with you on this one. 'Discrimination (in the U.S.) against us virtually nonexistent'- ? Anti-Semitism is alive and kicking (just ask Mel Gibson)... although perhaps more subtle in this country now. And it is back with a vengeance in Europe... Just this week the EU held a conference, where speakers including Elie Wiesel tried to get the EU parliament to take action to stem the rising tide of violence (synagogue burnings, etc.) against Jews. As with any form of
re: I saw Fiddler on the Roof last night....
 Feb 19 2004, 09:16:54 PM
I have to say I'm almost afraid to see this now- I haven't seen a good review yet. As far as the material being dated, I never understand why a show becomes 'dated' just because the people who actually remember the time in which it occurs are mostly gone now... anyone whose ancestors came from someplace else has had to deal with assimilation and trying to keep the old 'traditions' ('My Big Fat Greek Wedding', for example)- and it's always a part of who you are. For me it's the story of my gran
re: re: re: re: re: re: Never Gonna Dance
 Feb 15 2004, 10:03:02 PM
Not every show is going to appeal to everyone... and that's part of the beauty of Broadway, that there can (hopefully) be a wide range of good shows that are also commercially successful... For me personally, nothing beats a show with great dancing and a gorgeous score. If Hugh Jackman was in NGD would it be closed? I don't think so.

Oh well- I had my end-of-season rant... it's just depressing

re: Never Gonna Dance
 Feb 15 2004, 08:55:29 PM
Broadwaygirl, I don't know what show some of these folks saw, but I saw the same show you did yesterday. I too was completely blown away. I've seen almost all the shows this season, and Never Gonna Dance was absolutely the best. I was in the center of the first row, and the dancing, acting, and most of the singing was as good or better than any show I've EVER seen.

A lot of people seem to think that an old-fashioned, 'sweet' musical has no place on today's Broadway. What about 'Mill

re: Fiddler Photos?
 Jan 29 2004, 05:58:26 PM
If you don't like the show, why keep posting messages about it? You can't appreciate a play that's based on stories that are 150 years old? I guess Shakespeare would be boring too, then. Do you even have the slightest idea what this play is actually about?

You haven't seen the current production, so you have no idea whether it's any good or not. I didn't like 'Millie', so I don't waste my time posting about it. It's just not my cup of tea.

A lot of people love this show- I

re: re: Pre-Show Restaurant?
 Dec 24 2003, 07:14:25 PM
I've been to Union Pacific twice, although not since Rocco became a TV star, so can't vouch for how the quality's kept up. I actually went there for my birthday lunch last year- 1 year ago today. The food and service are (or were) amazing... brilliant Asian/French/fusion type food... mostly seafood. Great atmosphere too, with a waterfall in the main dining room. I wouldn't recommend it for pre-theater though- it's in the Gramercy Park/Flatiron area, quite a hike from the theater district.
re: Pre-Show Restaurant?
 Dec 24 2003, 01:15:13 PM
'Who is eating French these days?' Why wouldn't we be eating French? I've been eating and drinking French as much as possible, personally.

Anyway- Le Madeleine, as someone else suggested, is an excellent choice- great menu, atmosphere, service, and the cheapest French meal we've ever had in the city. If you want to have a fabulous meal and can get a reservation (you'd have to call now), Esca is across the street from Le Madeleine and one of the best seafood restaurants in the city. No

re: Viewers Say Bah, Humbug to HBO's 'Angels' - washingtonpost.com
 Dec 10 2003, 11:50:19 PM
I disagree that you have to somehow relate to this movie to appreciate it. Great art is great art, period. Thank God for HBO- it's the only channel I watch any more. I can appreciate great art because it's beautiful- it takes me somewhere else completely... I was spellbound by this movie, just as I was by 'Henry IV' at Lincoln Center. All it takes is a tiny bit of intelligence, and a willingness to experience worlds other than your own.

I think if middle America would switch off 'Aver

re: re: re: Henry IV
 Dec 3 2003, 07:04:13 PM
Ditto what Robbie said... best night (or afternoon) in the theater this year by a long shot... 'stunning' is the perfect word to describe it. I hope 'King Lear' will be a good one too...
re: re: 'Dates for Sondheim-Stroman-Lane Frogs Set'
 Dec 2 2003, 08:13:39 PM
When I read this yesterday, I was really glad I've already gotten my $40 worth out of my Lincoln Center Theater membership with my tix to 'Henry IV' and the upcoming 'King Lear'! Have to say it's the best $40 I've spent, nonetheless...
re: Happy Festivus!
 Dec 2 2003, 08:09:51 PM
I love it! The one and only all-purpose holiday... God, I miss Seinfeld...
re: Fiddler On The ROOF Cast announced!
 Dec 2 2003, 08:00:55 PM
I wish only the best for this show, but I do think it will be hurt at the box office by lack of the stars’ name recognition, at least with the tourists- and then there’s always the curse of the Minskoff! I get the chills just walking by the place.

If Alfred Molina can pull off Tevye, then there’s hope… but people of a certain age (which is most of us who will see this show, I think!) have such strong memories of both Zero Mostel in the movie and Topol in the play that it will be hard to

re: Fiddler On The Rood Cast announced!
 Dec 1 2003, 09:31:51 PM
Murphy, Kelly, Anderson? Oy....

And Tommyboy... not funny....

re: DECK THE BOARDS
 Dec 1 2003, 09:28:02 PM
Here's my contribution- guess I'm in the minority here...
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You